Facemask for Infielders

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi Seniors,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on facemasks for fielders. Our team recently played at the Rock N Reno Tournament and the infields were providing some very challenging bad hops. I noticed several infielders using masks and even heard a few horror stories about players who took shots to the face. So, I recently invested in a mask (I want to keep my teeth for as long as I can). I purchased the Schutt Softball Fielders Titanium Guard. It's lightweight and strong, but light on the padding. I suspect I'd still feel the impact if a ball hit me in the face. I am curious what others are using or if you feel it's a worthwhile investment. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Rip-It mask is the industry standard, the Schutt appears to be a direct copy. Either will protect your teeth and eyes, but a hard shot will still rattle you.

As far as it being a worthwhile investment; it's a $40 piece of equipment that can prevent a life-altering injury and thousands of dollars worth of medical and dental bills. That's easy math.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
Rip-It mask is the industry standard, the Schutt appears to be a direct copy. Either will protect your teeth and eyes, but a hard shot will still rattle you.

As far as it being a worthwhile investment; it's a $40 piece of equipment that can prevent a life-altering injury and thousands of dollars worth of medical and dental bills. That's easy math.

Thanks, Hiltz!

Based on your response, I take it that you wear a mask. Do you have much slippage on warm days where you are sweating heavily? What about the weight of the mask, does it feel heavier over time?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Doesn't move a bit. I wear my hat backwards underneath it and it's locked in place. And the weight is negligible, you're only ever wearing it for 1/2 an inning at a time.

When I first got it I was a little self-conscious wearing it. But I got way more legitimate questions about it and people saying "good for you" than I got smart ass remarks. Actually, the only people that ever made fun of me were my friends and teammates, but they're mostly ass holes.

D-ROCK13

I wear the Schutt while pitching or playing infield, no complaints from me. Actually, I barely notice that it is on, doesn't affect my vision much at all

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a detached retina last year.... that was some **** for sure. I will wear a mask anywhere in infield now. I have 95% of my sight back in that eye, but at one point I was blind... like all black blind in it. Scary. Protect yourselfs.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a detached retina last year.... that was some **** for sure. I will wear a mask anywhere in infield now. I have 95% of my sight back in that eye, but at one point I was blind... like all black blind in it. Scary. Protect yourselfs.
Where you injured on the field? Bad hop or worse, line drive? Please tell me more.

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Where you injured on the field? Bad hop or worse, line drive? Please tell me more.

No, just nature serving me a turd sandwich. My retina just came off.

Public Service Announcement. If you ever get floaters in your eye, lots of floaters... then it slowly gets worse... go to the emergency room immediately. The key is to get emergency surgery before your macula comes completely off. The chance of recovery goes up ten fold if you catch it before it does. I waited 40 hours before I went to emergency room and it was too late. I was lucky to get as much sight back as I did.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
No, just nature serving me a turd sandwich. My retina just came off.

Public Service Announcement. If you ever get floaters in your eye, lots of floaters... then it slowly gets worse... go to the emergency room immediately. The key is to get emergency surgery before your macula comes completely off. The chance of recovery goes up ten fold if you catch it before it does. I waited 40 hours before I went to emergency room and it was too late. I was lucky to get as much sight back as I did.
Thanks for the heads up. We'll adhere to your save advice. We're glad things worked out for you, brother!