Failed compression test

Beesh71

My teammate had his Miken Patriot compression tested today and it failed. He bought it new about 6 months ago. Is a failed compression test something covered under warranty? Their website says it covers breakage or cracks. Not sure if that's considered breakage

Dougiefresh91

Part Time Player
What joker is saying is no it's not. However what you should do is go and do some BP with the hardest balls you can find and hope it ll crack by doing that

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Call Miken and ask. I called about my EST XL and was told I could send it in and if it failed on their tester they would send me a new one.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been able to return bats for non-compliance since the first synergy plus. I don't see why this would be any different.

do you sign something allowing them to do this?

It's a weird deal for sure. Bat shaving is terrible in Texas. I guess they started doing it because of that years ago and this is just the way it is... Any time you hit the pitcher or too many homeruns they'll test it. If it fails and you don't have a warranty you're out of luck. I've even seen bats get tested because they were cracked or a knob coming off too.

The complex will give you a choice. They send it back with your receipt for a return or they destroy it.

bndawgs

President-Elect
It's a weird deal for sure. Bat shaving is terrible in Texas. I guess they started doing it because of that years ago and this is just the way it is... Any time you hit the pitcher or too many homeruns they'll test it. If it fails and you don't have a warranty you're out of luck. I've even seen bats get tested because they were cracked or a knob coming off too.

The complex will give you a choice. They send it back with your receipt for a return or they destroy it.
I don't see how they can take your bat and keep it without your agreement. If they're doing this, there must be something stated in the league rules that everyone is agreeing too.

The USSSA rule book says different. I don't see how they get away with it either. I've never seen anything written out that I've signed. There could be small print on the league and tournament roster sheets I guess

Just read through the rules, registration form, and roster sheet for one of the leagues I play in. Nothing anywhere about bats being taken.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read through the rules, registration form, and roster sheet for one of the leagues I play in. Nothing anywhere about bats being taken.
. You're talking about something else entirely, and where I've played THAT rule is they take it, or you voluntarily accept a two year suspension from the association. They can not take your bat if you don't want them to, but they can then ban you from play.

When that's happened it's pulled, tested, if it passes play on, and if it fails they send it back to the manufacturer to see if it's been altered. If it hasn't and you have a receipt you can send that in for a warranty return. If you don't have a receipt or it's altered you're out of luck on the bat and still banned if altered.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Especially if they didn't cut it themselves. If a utrip official did, maybe, but why would either party take that chance?

Exactly...no one is getting a return for LD's cutting bats...

Last edited:

Dan411

Star Player
I would want to stick around too, and make sure I witness the bat being cut in half. I kind of imagine a pseudo good ol boy "hot bat" chop shop going on. Seize a bat, re-grip it, and swing it where they don't compression test.

They don't test bats before tournaments here. At the complexes I've played at anyways.

If your bat fails you aren't getting it back. You can have the LD send it back for a return or he keeps it and it gets destroyed. Nobody likes it but that's how it goes at a lot of places around here.

I guess you could take a suspension but why would you? Especially when Utrip is almost the only option. The LD taking the bat is a way around that I guess.

I agree it's dumb but if it keeps shaved bats out of play I won't complain. The bats are pulled and tested during the game. If it passes the TD/LD will bring it back right then.