Failed compression test

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
ASA/USA around here they test before tournaments and if your bat fails (or they find any non-approved bat in the bench area) they keep it until your team is eliminated from the tourney. They all get stickered after testing if they pass, and the umps check all the bats pre-game.

milesej05

The Rookie
ASA/USA around here they test before tournaments and if your bat fails (or they find any non-approved bat in the bench area) they keep it until your team is eliminated from the tourney. They all get stickered after testing if they pass, and the umps check all the bats pre-game.

Exactly what happened at State for us.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you could take a suspension but why would you? Especially when Utrip is almost the only option. The LD taking the bat is a way around that I guess.

I agree it's dumb but if it keeps shaved bats out of play I won't complain. The bats are pulled and tested during the game. If it passes the TD/LD will bring it back right then.
I only swing my own bats, and always have a bat that passes for these events, but I can bp a failing bat and I paid for it. It's illegal as hell to just keep them.

bndawgs

President-Elect
I wonder if the LD/TD is returning them himself and selling the returns? Only thing I can think of for committing petty larceny.

Last edited:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA rule is that if it fails and the LD thinks it may have been altered they can send it to the Altered Bat Committee in FL. LD is in no way authorized to destroy the bat themselves. Tournaments in MN bats are tested and put into those that pass are put into garbage cans, those that pass are put into the teams can, those that fail are put into one with the rest that failed. From that point on an Umpire or Tournament Official is with the bats at all times they are not locked away. You get your bats back after you are eliminated and you can then take back the ones that failed.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I've always had the stance that they should grind/sand off the association approval stamp if it fails. Then you and everyone else knows it can't be used in sanction play, but it can still be used for BP, HR Derby or outlaw leagues. If used in sanction play, then have suspensions or whatever. Taking someone's bat though.....sketchy!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've always had the stance that they should grind/sand off the association approval stamp if it fails. Then you and everyone else knows it can't be used in sanction play, but it can still be used for BP, HR Derby or outlaw leagues.

I'd be fine with this, but there are lots of leagues that don't require testing but do require stamps.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Cutting bats seems a little over kill. I've had bats fail at a tourney by a hair, but then pass the following week.

Last edited:

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I've always had the stance that they should grind/sand off the association approval stamp if it fails. Then you and everyone else knows it can't be used in sanction play, but it can still be used for BP, HR Derby or outlaw leagues. If used in sanction play, then have suspensions or whatever. Taking someone's bat though.....sketchy!

not an option ....that is my property and your defacing/ altering my personal paid for property.....it failed ....dosent mean it's a cheater bat...
2 cents

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
not an option ....that is my property and your defacing/ altering my personal paid for property.....it failed ....dosent mean it's a cheater bat...
2 cents

The association stamp is there because it met certain conditions. When the bat no longer meets those conditions, it shouldn't bear the stamp - as a way to help keep those bats out of sanctioned play.

Nobody is calling anyone a cheater.....unless you knowingly use equipment that doesn't meet association standards (e.g. a bat that fails compression).

Also, this suggestion is way less severe than confiscating a bat and/or cutting it open.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
The association stamp is there because it met certain conditions. When the bat no longer meets those conditions, it shouldn't bear the stamp - as a way to help keep those bats out of sanctioned play.

Nobody is calling anyone a cheater.....unless you knowingly use equipment that doesn't meet association standards (e.g. a bat that fails compression).

Also, this suggestion is way less severe than confiscating a bat and/or cutting it open.

I'm not bashing you for making a,suggestion...I took it as its mine, approx 300 bucks of my hard earned blue collar labor to buy that.....I'll flip if u ruin that in any way even if it dosent meet "your" standereds....
I don't have any solutions other then testing but I won't bring my stuff to a league or tourney that will ruin your equipment period

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans

No because if the bat is returnable the warranty is voided now. A simple "APPROVED" sticker would suffice

Country469

**** they'll fail once week and pass the next too.....aint no way you're sanding **** off my bat until its testing around 150

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not bashing you for making a,suggestion...I took it as its mine, approx 300 bucks of my hard earned blue collar labor to buy that.....I'll flip if u ruin that in any way even if it dosent meet "your" standereds....
I don't have any solutions other then testing but I won't bring my stuff to a league or tourney that will ruin your equipment period
Then you won't play. You've always had that option.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
There is no perfect way to prevent people from swinging altered bats. Compression testing isn't going to catch every shaved bat. Unless they cut them open after every tournament, cheaters will always get through.