Fastpitch Glove Question

Bmann

Extra Hitter
I have a 12 year old DD that plays competitive ball. She starts her middle school team in the fall. She mainly plays third base (that's the position that coaches always put her at). She likes to play outfield though (probably due to the fact that she grew up playing the game 500 in the front field with brother and cousins).

My question is: I am looking to buy her a quality glove that will last her through middle school and maybe into high school. I think she will most often be put at 3rd base. Should I get her a third baseman's glove ( what size do girls use?) or should I try to get a utility sized glove? Or a third baseman's glove and a separate outfielders? I have noticed that with her at third base, the fastpitch plays are bang bang fast. Hate to inhibite her with to big a glove.

Any thought or suggestions on sizes, gloves, ect? Hate to spend a couple hundred on something she does not need.

Thanks for any help

MaverickAH

1. She's 12 years old. If you want to buy her a glove that will last her through at least high school, you're going to have to leave some room for her to grow. keep that in mind.
  2. A good all around size for fast pitch infield is 12". It's big enough to provide good coverage without hindering ball transfer. It is also an acceptable size for the outfield although 12.5" is the norm these days.
  3. If you want longevity, stay away from "game ready" gloves. Also be ready to spend a bit more ($150 -$200). Just remember that you're paying up front for long term use. Also be ready for an extended break0in period.

The fact that the coaches want her to play 3B says a lot about her:
  • Good hands
  • Quick feet
  • Strong, accurate arm
  • No fear of the ball

The brands that I would recommend you look at is short:
  • Vinci 22 Series Fastpitch
  • Wilson A2000 Fastpitch or A1500 Pro Soft Yak
  • Mizuno Classic Fastpitch Series

Of the three, my first choice would be a Vinci RCV1200-22. It's a great glove that plays true to size with a nice pocket. it's also a glove that, if properly maintained, will last her through college as well as high school, so that makes it a very cost effective proposition. Casedawg51 is the Vinci fastpitch rep on the board. Contact him.

Wilson will give you several choices. The A2000's may be too expensive ($200+) depending on how much you're looking to spend. The A1500's may be a more viable option. The Yak leather is tough, durable & the gloves are well made. It will need a shorter break-in period compared to the Vinci or an A2000.

For Mizuno, take a look at the GCF1203. It'll be on par with the Wilson A1500 & is also a well made, high quality glove. It's a glove that'll provide a shorter break-in.

Bmann

Extra Hitter
Maverick
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. I am going to check those gloves out. The Vincis look nice. Leaning towards the 12".

Bmann

Extra Hitter
Maverick
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. I am going to check those gloves out. The Vincis look nice. Leaning towards the 12".

mogsoftball

Manager
I would also say Vinci, a lot of infielders use 12" but it really depends on the size of your DD and her hands. I have seen some 12 year olds that are as big as 16 year olds.

puppychow1

Addicted to Softballfans
My daughter plays second , short and third. She went to a 12.25" Rawling HOH and loves it. Quality glove for $150 and will last for years if cared for. Good luck

CYCLONES_COACH

Addicted to Softballfans
My DD is almost 12 and plays 3rd for her middle school team and uses a Vinci RCV1200-22. By far the best glove she has ever had. They move around alot on her travel team and she has played the outfield some and it works great for her there as well.

nwebber

Addicted to Softballfans
Casedawg51 can hook you up with a good Vinci. He recommend the BV-1929L to us as an infield glove. I would recommend it too. It's 12.5" and plays a tad bit smaller initially. After it started softening up, it really gets wide and plays true to size. My DD is 10 y/o and it plays fine for her. She loves it.

MaverickAH

I would also say Vinci, a lot of infielders use 12" but it really depends on the size of your DD and her hands. I have seen some 12 year olds that are as big as 16 year olds.

I always sigh & shake my head every time I see something like this written on these boards. It's one of the most nonsensical things that routinely posted on this site that has no bearing in fact! You'd have to be extremely large or have freakishly abnormal hands to not be able to use a 12" glove.

Ex. 1
Derek Jeter is 6'3". He uses an 11.5" glove at SS. His glove size is based on his personal comfort level, ball size & the position he plays, not on his size!

Ex. 2
I'm 5'11". From the bottom of my palm to the top of my longest finger, my hand measures 7.5". I wear a L/XL batting glove depending on brand/cut. I can easily wear an 11" glove if I so choose with plenty of room to spare.

The "12" in a 12 inch softball refers to the circumference. The diameter on a 12 inch softball is less than 4 inches (~3.91"). So is a 12" glove is plenty big for the average hand & a softball.

Bmann

Extra Hitter
This is good stuff, it is great to hear from people with real experience. It makes it a lot easier to drop a couple hundred on a glove!

Thanks!

Just weighing in , looked at several gloves and settled on getting dd the Mizuno Classic Pro Series 12.5 Inch GCF1253 Fastpitch Softball Glove the fingers stalls are small(was the selling point for me) , has a hidden wrist clasp for custom fit and the throw back leather looks sick , broke in nice not game ready though will take some work , Mizuno did it right with this glove it is made strictly for a female hands. I also was looking at vinci and casedawg answered all my questions and was very helpful, I would not hesitate to do business with him, all in all it was the small finger stalls that pushed me more to the Mizuno.

http://www.mizunousa.com/fastpitch/...fastpitch-series-gcf1253-infieldpitcher-glove