Any Fielder runs into runner on base path

Wkndsoftballer

I was playing a pickup game of softball tonight and had no trained umps and was wondering what the correct call would be for this scenario that happened. There where 2 outs and a runner on 1st and 2nd. the batter hit a really high fly ball to the second baseman. I was the runner on first and saw the ball was going to land in the base path but the second baseman was coming in slowly to get it. I jogged to about where the ball was going to land and walked in front of the fielder as he took his last steps to catch and he ran into me. (Idk if it's important to note but i never actually stopped moving as I stepped in front or leading up to stepping in front of him) I was still very much in the base path. I was no more then 2 feet off of a direct line from 1st to 2nd and if I was off it would have been on the pitcher side of the base path. Because the second baseman ran into me the ball dropped and everyone advanced. What is the correct call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I was playing a pickup game of softball tonight and had no trained umps and was wondering what the correct call would be for this scenario that happened. There where 2 outs and a runner on 1st and 2nd. the batter hit a really high fly ball to the second baseman. I was the runner on first and saw the ball was going to land in the base path but the second baseman was coming in slowly to get it. I jogged to about where the ball was going to land and walked in front of the fielder as he took his last steps to catch and he ran into me. (Idk if it's important to note but i never actually stopped moving as I stepped in front or leading up to stepping in front of him) I was still very much in the base path. I was no more then 2 feet off of a direct line from 1st to 2nd and if I was off it would have been on the pitcher side of the base path. Because the second baseman ran into me the ball dropped and everyone advanced. What is the correct call?

Speaking ASA...

"Dead ball! Dead ball! Runner is out!"

If there had been only one out or no outs, the batter-runner would also be out.

Look, on a batted ball, the defensive player making a play on the batted ball has the right of way, and it's the runner's obligation to not interfere with his ability to make a play on the ball. It doesn't matter if you're in the base line, it only matters that you hindered him.

So what can you do? Be heads up, and go around him. Go behind him, dig a tunnel, anything but get in his way.

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
I think there is also no "basepath" until a play is made on you, it definitely is not automatically a straight line from 1st to 2nd.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I think there is also no "basepath" until a play is made on you, it definitely is not automatically a straight line from 1st to 2nd.

The basepath is irrelevant to the play. The runner interfered with a fielder attempting to field an untouched batted ball

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
Irishmafia,
I agree the basepath is irrelevant. I just was pointing out a common misunderstanding of the rules by Wkndsoftballer that he has some right to the "basepath".

OToole20

Addicted to Softballfans
and by interfering... they mean contact. The runner can still shield the defender from the ball ie. a ground ball the runner stands in front of the ground ball as long as possible without being hit by the ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
and by interfering... they mean contact. The runner can still shield the defender from the ball ie. a ground ball the runner stands in front of the ground ball as long as possible without being hit by the ball.

Uhhh... No. Totally wrong.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Not!!!

This is completely incorrect!!!

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
on a batted ball, the defensive player making a play on the batted ball has the right of way,

That pretty much said it all.....but because the discussion is still going on, I thought I'd repeat it :cool:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

That is not even close.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

This is incorrect in a number of different ways. First, the situation you described can be interference even without the runner getting hit by the ball. Two, most associations also define interference to be verbal as well as physical. Third, physical contact is not required for interference, just that the runner interfered with the fielders ability to make a play.

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
In the following related situation, what would be the rule?

ASA with stealing. When I play 1B, if there is a runner on first, I will play even with the bag or maybe a step back so if the ball is hit to me, I can make a play on the runner and then touch 1B for the double-play. If the ball is not hit to me, I usually take a step back and out of the runner's way before I go to the bag or where ever I need to be.. That doesn't always happen though. It might be that the runner was stealing on a pass ball or that I just spaced out and didn't react fast enough when the ball was hit somewhere else. Either way, I am stationary, but the runner wants to take a direct path to second and I am in the way. Can I be called for obstruction here?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
In the following related situation, what would be the rule?

ASA with stealing. When I play 1B, if there is a runner on first, I will play even with the bag or maybe a step back so if the ball is hit to me, I can make a play on the runner and then touch 1B for the double-play. If the ball is not hit to me, I usually take a step back and out of the runner's way before I go to the bag or where ever I need to be.. That doesn't always happen though. It might be that the runner was stealing on a pass ball or that I just spaced out and didn't react fast enough when the ball was hit somewhere else. Either way, I am stationary, but the runner wants to take a direct path to second and I am in the way. Can I be called for obstruction here?

Are you impeding the runner while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding a batted ball? Then, yes.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Can I be called for obstruction here?

Yes. That is, if you actually wind up obstructing the runner. If he has to alter his path to the next base because you're standing in his way, then you've obstructed him.

"Altering his path" could include having to slow down, stop, or go around you.

I had something similar happen to me but the runner ran into me. I was playing catcher, runner is trying to score ball is thrown up the line I move to try and catch it and runner trucks me. Same thing happened later in the game but the runner doesn't run me over this time but umpire calls interference on me. What is the correct call in this situation? This was in ASA

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire called obstruction on you. Answer this question, did the runner have to slow down, stop or move around you because of where you were before you had possession of the ball? If so that's obstruction, as far as you getting run over, did you move into the runner's path without the ball? The runner should have no idea where the ball is, he should only be listening to his base coaches and on deck batter telling him whether he has to slide or not. ASA calls this type of situation a "wreck" and it happens, now if the runner saw you there then lowered his shoulder into you we can have another discussion.

The umpire called obstruction on you. Answer this question, did the runner have to slow down, stop or move around you because of where you were before you had possession of the ball? If so that's obstruction, as far as you getting run over, did you move into the runner's path without the ball? The runner should have no idea where the ball is, he should only be listening to his base coaches and on deck batter telling him whether he has to slide or not. ASA calls this type of situation a "wreck" and it happens, now if the runner saw you there then lowered his shoulder into you we can have another discussion.

When I got called for obstruction, I was moving up the third base line and the runner ran into me again, but I never had possession of the ball. Based on the prior conversation in this thread though isn't it the runners responsibility to avoid the fielder when the fielder is trying to make the play or is it a different rule since I was going for a thrown ball and not a batted ball? As to the other question whether the guy ran me over intentionally I have no clue if he put his shoulder down or not I was just trying to get to the ball

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
When I got called for obstruction, I was moving up the third base line and the runner ran into me again, but I never had possession of the ball. Based on the prior conversation in this thread though isn't it the runners responsibility to avoid the fielder when the fielder is trying to make the play or is it a different rule since I was going for a thrown ball and not a batted ball? As to the other question whether the guy ran me over intentionally I have no clue if he put his shoulder down or not I was just trying to get to the ball

On a batted ball, the fielder has the right of way.

On a thrown ball, the runner has the right of way.

It's the runner's responsibility to avoid contact, if possible, but only from the standpoint of we don't need players trucking other players when it's possible to avoid it. If a runner is impeded by a defensive player who doesn't have possession of the ball and isn't in the act of fielding a batted ball, then they're protected from being put out, and there's NO reason for them to initiate contact.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
. I was playing catcher, runner is trying to score ball is thrown up the line I move to try and catch it and runner trucks me. Same thing happened later in the game

:rolleyes:

Seems like you would have learned from the first experience. Catching 101 says get out of the way unless you have the ball. :)

Now that I re read it, your first case may not have been obstruction since you were trying to catch the ball. I think it depends on the timing and the ump has to make a judgement call. Sometimes collisions just happen. Just be careful when a thrown ball pulls you into the path of a 250 meat sack. In the end, it's your responsibility to stay out of harms way.