ASA Fielder shifting during at bat

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What if I go toward home to tag up from first? Is it only illegal if you go straight back?

The rule specifically says it's to prevent the runner from getting a running start. So whether that's going in foul territory or towards home, it doesn't matter. You're still "behind" the base to get a running start.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The rule specifically says it's to prevent the runner from getting a running start. So whether that's going in foul territory or towards home, it doesn't matter. You're still "behind" the base to get a running start.
I am a little surprised I've never seen this called with all the years of, can I step off blue, I've heard from people not wanting to be on first or third with today's bats and balls. These are the same guys that hate hot dots and don't think Ms are too hot of course.

Country469

Whoa whoa whoa here......having a legit discussion is not butthurt, by any means. Its a discussion forum. No names were called, nothing personal or mean. Just a convo, and while its correct it never gets called, a rule that never gets called is something worth discussing imo. Should it even be a rule? Why is it not called more? etc etc etc

You guys deal with enough bull**** on this sub forum, don't let it seep into this thread

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
What about the catcher using his glove to "smack" the ground just behind the plate multiple times while the pitcher is in the act of pitching and even initially while the pitched ball is in motion? Clearly it was an attempt to distract the batter and not help the P lock in on the strike zone.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I am a little surprised I've never seen this called with all the years of, can I step off blue, I've heard from people not wanting to be on first or third with today's bats and balls. These are the same guys that hate hot dots and don't think Ms are too hot of course.

You're misreading what I posted. I said it's illegal to get a running start to tag up on a caught fly ball. A guy stepping into foul territory when the pitch reaches the plate is not illegal.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're misreading what I posted. I said it's illegal to get a running start to tag up on a caught fly ball. A guy stepping into foul territory when the pitch reaches the plate is not illegal.
No I'm not. With all the people hanging out in foul territory when the ball is hit, I'm surprised I never saw anyone try and get a running start and get called on it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the catcher using his glove to "smack" the ground just behind the plate multiple times while the pitcher is in the act of pitching and even initially while the pitched ball is in motion? Clearly it was an attempt to distract the batter and not help the P lock in on the strike zone.
Or yelling right in the batter's ear as the pitch is coming in? I do believe most associations have a rule about the catcher sliding up next to the batter to be in their line of sight, but again, I've rarely seen that called even.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Or yelling right in the batter's ear as the pitch is coming in? I do believe most associations have a rule about the catcher sliding up next to the batter to be in their line of sight, but again, I've rarely seen that called even.

Well this was also GSL, a qualifier, where the C was doing that and it was pointed out to the umpire which was met with a chuckle. The same ump allowing the P to pitch from about 9 feet behind the rubber (measured off with ump) and still allowed despite the ump stating the allowable distance is 5 ft.

So as mafia said earlier, not worth the keystrokes I guess (GSL that is).

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more of it I play, the more obvious that becomes. We had excellent umpires at Nationals, but that was about the only positive I came away with.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

If I have a catcher yelling at the batter in order to distract him, I may be getting a substitute for said catcher. Knock that crap off.

MaverickAH

I can't believe that this thread is still going. Sigh........

I can't speak about other associations but in USA/ASA, if done right, before you become an umpire:
  1. You attend a weekly class over the winter for about 2 months where you study & learn the rule book.
  2. The class culminates in a multiple choice test that you must receive a passing grade on.
  3. You then receive field training where you learn positioning & proper mechanics.
There are also continuing education classes every year. There's a lot to learn & a lot to keep straight. During all of this you must also learn game management & how to properly comport yourself. You are only going to become competent over the course of time & experience. No 1st, 2nd, 3rd year ump is going to get everything right every single time & even the long-time vets are going to have a hiccup from time to time.

In addition to knowing a rule, you've got to know how to properly interpret & apply it. Reprimanding a fielder for simply moving on a pitch is most certainly not that!

Some rules are literal.
Some rules require interpretation.
In some situations rules must be combined with other rules in order to reach the proper ruling.
In some cases rules may conflict & one rule take precedence over the other.

Teams/Players are provided with a Rule Book. Umpires are provided with a Rule Book, an Umpire's Manual & optionally a Casebook & Umpire Clinic Guide. What this means is that if an umpire takes advantage of all of the resources available to them & is properly trained, they're going to have a deeper understanding than someone just reading the rule book.

JabNblue

I saw a pitcher in coed, who was in constant feud with the umpire. He was a new umpire, and it was my pitcher. We had 3 total umpires on our team. It's our night to just try to play and enjoy the game. But our pitcher (who I would have tossed way earlier) kept pitching the ball, then stomp fast towards the batters. He was doing this to aggravate the ump. He (the ump) kept asking my opinion since I was playing 3rd base. I said, it's not my game except to play. I have no comment. Then between innings asked the other umpires. Who I assume told him the same. This clearly was disruptive to the batters. I guess he's lucky some pop power hitter didn't pick right pitch and drill him with the ball. This went on for the entire game. Needless to say the following week, we had a new pitcher with a better attitude.
As far as shifting in the field. It's part of the game and some veteran players are usually spot on with where the hit is going. Good defense!

JabNblue

I can't believe that this thread is still going. Sigh........

I can't speak about other associations but in USA/ASA, if done right, before you become an umpire:
  1. You attend a weekly class over the winter for about 2 months where you study & learn the rule book.
  2. The class culminates in a multiple choice test that you must receive a passing grade on.
  3. You then receive field training where you learn positioning & proper mechanics.
There are also continuing education classes every year. There's a lot to learn & a lot to keep straight. During all of this you must also learn game management & how to properly comport yourself. You are only going to become competent over the course of time & experience. No 1st, 2nd, 3rd year ump is going to get everything right every single time & even the long-time vets are going to have a hiccup from time to time.

In addition to knowing a rule, you've got to know how to properly interpret & apply it. Reprimanding a fielder for simply moving on a pitch is most certainly not that!

Some rules are literal.
Some rules require interpretation.
In some situations rules must be combined with other rules in order to reach the proper ruling.
In some cases rules may conflict & one rule take precedence over the other.

Teams/Players are provided with a Rule Book. Umpires are provided with a Rule Book, an Umpire's Manual & optionally a Casebook & Umpire Clinic Guide. What this means is that if an umpire takes advantage of all of the resources available to them & is properly trained, they're going to have a deeper understanding than someone just reading the rule book.
Maverick, you are spot on!!!! I just finished the senior nationals for my second straight year, we have some of the best around yet we run drills the first day, meet EVERY morning to discuss plays in question etc. I noticed that 3 times some rules were re-ruled based on a different rule. I witnessed it from very well known and respected UIC!

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that I think about it, when Im up I dont see any infielders once the pitch is in the air

This right here.
If you are noticing anything after the ball leaves the pitchers hand, you shouldn't be batting.
And if it is something that is bad enuf to distract you, it should be an easy call for the umpire.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a pitcher in coed, who was in constant feud with the umpire. He was a new umpire, and it was my pitcher. We had 3 total umpires on our team. It's our night to just try to play and enjoy the game. But our pitcher (who I would have tossed way earlier) kept pitching the ball, then stomp fast towards the batters. He was doing this to aggravate the ump. He (the ump) kept asking my opinion since I was playing 3rd base. I said, it's not my game except to play. I have no comment. Then between innings asked the other umpires. Who I assume told him the same. This clearly was disruptive to the batters. I guess he's lucky some pop power hitter didn't pick right pitch and drill him with the ball. This went on for the entire game. Needless to say the following week, we had a new pitcher with a better attitude.
As far as shifting in the field. It's part of the game and some veteran players are usually spot on with where the hit is going. Good defense!

To start, you are always an umpire even when you are playing. If you had three real umpires on that team, you should have told, not asked, your pitcher to stop being an ass.

I agree, that you should not have given the umpire immediate direction while playing, but then again, he shouldn't have had the need to ask you.

OTOH, his partner is a putz. That his equally his/her call and is either doesn't know the rules or is refusing to help a rookie, both are equally as bad as the other.