ASA Fielder shifting during at bat

defos

I played SS for years until moving to 3rd about 4 years ago. Just before I made the switch permanently, I was at SS, watched a guy walk to the plate and somehow knew he was going to hit a grounder up the middle. Pitcher released the ball, and I started sprinting to short centerfield. I got there the same time as the ball. Fielded it and tossed it backwards to get the force at 2nd. That would have been a clean single had I not sprinted to center when I did. Getting an early jump like that usually backfires in slowpitch, but it worked that time. Wish I had that play on film. Nobody complained about me moving during the pitch.

Like Bobby Buggs said, I don't see the fielders when the pitch is on its way either.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't aware that you could switch from L to R batting during an at bat. I thought once you set yourself in the box, you had to bat from that side the rest of the AB
As long as the pitcher is not on the rubber or in the pitching box. If you switch after the pitcher is set it's an out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Was just about to say this. Good call, Joker. In fast pitch, the corners will often come up to cover the bunt. If they get too close to the pitcher and start getting in the batter's view, then we'll have a problem.

Not really. In FP the act must be deliberate unsportsmanlike intent.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A fielder shall not take a position in the batter’s line of vision or, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. A pitch does not have to be released.

Huh... the rule has been reworded. You're right.

Joker

i was looking at what you quoted in your post "A fielder shall not take a position in the batter’s line of vision or, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. A pitch does not have to be released."

Joker

it would be nice for ASA/USA to make it easy to see those changes. i paid and got the 2015 rule book in the app and that's all i get. i would have to pay again to get the 2017 version. i can see the 2017 rule changes on the website but no 2016 changes. ASA/USA makes it a pain in the ass to see the rules

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
it would be nice for ASA/USA to make it easy to see those changes. i paid and got the 2015 rule book in the app and that's all i get. i would have to pay again to get the 2017 version. i can see the 2017 rule changes on the website but no 2016 changes. ASA/USA makes it a pain in the ass to see the rules

You get a rule book, use it. If you are registered and not getting a rule book, someone is ripping you off

Joker

I did use it but now I'm being told it's changed. In order to see the changes i have to buy it again. Understand yet?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I think what Irish is not so eloquently trying to say is each team gets a rule book with their USA Softball registration fee. So as long as your team is registers with USA softball every year you don't have to pay for a rule book on top of that.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I did use it but now I'm being told it's changed. In order to see the changes i have to buy it again. Understand yet?

Yeah you are relying on an app and are too cheap to pay for the new version published each year.

And my comment still stands, you get a book every year with your registration, not to mention free access to the updates long before the annual hard-copy publication.

Country469

Team I play with is registered asa and playing nats this weekend. Tri sanctioned first tourney, never got a rule book. It happens sometimes.

Joker

Yeah you are relying on an app and are too cheap to pay for the new version published each year.

And my comment still stands, you get a book every year with your registration, not to mention free access to the updates long before the annual hard-copy publication.
why should i have to pay for the rules in the first place? ASA is the only one that doesn't give them out for free

Hiltz

Built for comfort
why should i have to pay for the rules in the first place? ASA is the only one that doesn't give them out for free

Softball Canada too. You're probably familiar with that org, they're wildly popular.

Seriously, any organization that wants to attract participation and minimize squabbling should publish their rules for free.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

No argument here. I wish they would give it out for free.

Not that anyone would read it, as exampled by the constant questions about simple U-Trip and NSA rules...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball Canada too. You're probably familiar with that org, they're wildly popular.

Seriously, any organization that wants to attract participation and minimize squabbling should publish their rules for free.

Sure and if they want people to drive, they should give away gas for free, right? BTW, you are not getting NFHS, LL, ISF (WBSC) rules for free, either.

It is what it is and as is routinely shown on multiple boards, players and officials alike, having the rules available provides minimal solutions without the knowledge of how they are to be applied.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. I didn't say ASA should buy me bats and gloves.

For the record, we follow SPN (Slow Pitch National) rules where I play and unlike Softball Canada, they provide their complete rulebook on their website as a pdf. You can pay for a hard copy, but anyone with internet access can reference the online version. And people do all the time. Since they started posting their rulebook, there have been fewer squabbles in the local leagues and people have a better understanding of the rules. And anyone wanting to travel to an SPN tourney can check the rules ahead of time. No one wants to put a team together, pay for travel and lodging, only to get burned by some obscure rule that no one knows about because they can't reference a rulebook.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. I didn't say ASA should buy me bats and gloves.

For the record, we follow SPN (Slow Pitch National) rules where I play and unlike Softball Canada, they provide their complete rulebook on their website as a pdf. You can pay for a hard copy, but anyone with internet access can reference the online version. And people do all the time. Since they started posting their rulebook, there have been fewer squabbles in the local leagues and people have a better understanding of the rules. And anyone wanting to travel to an SPN tourney can check the rules ahead of time. No one wants to put a team together, pay for travel and lodging, only to get burned by some obscure rule that no one knows about because they can't reference a rulebook.

So SPN doesn't include a rule book with registration?

Joker

what about all the leagues that use a rule set and don't register with the national association?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
So SPN doesn't include a rule book with registration?

There are no sanctioned SPN leagues in my area but according to their website, a book is included with registration. But even though they give registered teams a rulebook, it's nice for individuals to be able to access the rules. Our local unsanctioned leagues follow the SPN ruleset because a lot of players travel to play in SPN tournaments. With no sanctioned leagues or access to a hard copy of the rulebook, it's important for people to have access to the rules so they aren't going in blind when they go to a sanctioned tournament.

MaverickAH

what about all the leagues that use a rule set and don't register with the national association?

What about them? :rolleyes:

If your league is registered with USA/ASA, you get rule books included with your registration.
If your team is registered with USA/ASA, you get a rule book included with your registration.
If you're an umpire registered with USA/ASA, you get a rule book plus an umpire's manual included with your registration.

If you want to use a national association's rule set without paying to register, that's on you. You're not entitled to any of the benefits that registering offers. If you want their rule set in hard copy, you have to pay separately.