Fire Flex 2.0

bulldog10

swamp donkey slayer
they claim in the add to have done something to the barrel to hold compression longer. you think it's just a sales pitch? why would a bat company lie?:D

ShortYellowBus

I thought they already did that.

There’s the first batch bats that failed at a couple dozen swings. Easton recognized that and put a plan in place.

The next bats produced were given an additional layer of composite to level off the compression testing numbers.

I don’t work for Easton, but I did read into this. I seem to be of the mindset that the new bats including the ASA bats hold compression longer.

chad783

Addicted to Softballfans
2 major upgrades vs the OG fireflex

1- new 360 technology ( new layering in the sweet spot zone to help maintain compression significantly longer) 40-60% longer

2-new player optimized weighting ( maximized MOI per barrel length and weight)it means that every different construction ( barrel length ) is being tested to make sure we get the best MOI, show every bat will feel different but we won’t have a consistent loading IE : .5 oz, 1oz etc

The launch is scheduled to be the first week of September for the 2 in-line bats. The neon green being the Balanced Canadian exclusive; and the blue being the end loaded in-line back.

Attachments

• 38686866_2228133950547722_2132463924027588608_n.jpg
    38686866_2228133950547722_2132463924027588608_n.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 38679739_2228133943881056_2009835271922647040_n.jpg
    38679739_2228133943881056_2009835271922647040_n.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 59

THESHOE

Starting Player
I thought the same thing when I read the 40-60%

Took less than 200 for most around here to have theirs fail any comp test they got subject to.

Not seeing them break TBH - Wonder how long until they're banned & Twisted Mistress Demarinis too.

How is it they get stamped, but then can't pass the Utrip Comp tests LOL.

So instead of 200 swings, you get 280-320 swings. Sweet.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
All I know is that at the USSSA major tourny here in CO a couple weeks ago there were MASSIVE amounts of Fireflexes failing. Many looked brand new too. I figure 90% of Fireflexes tested failed.

bulldog10

swamp donkey slayer
If I’m not mistaken the 17’s failed too, they seemed to take a little longer to fail but they did. The people wanted this and they got it. Honestly I love the feel of the fire flex but we don’t compression test here unless a pitcher is hit or it’s a close middle shot. Really I don’t care about isntat gratification I always seem to hit Eastons really good. Lived on the old Easton bats and liked being able to bp but now I just use older imx bats for bp and fireflex for games. Long ramble for nothing really, I guess.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
All I know is that at the USSSA major tourny here in CO a couple weeks ago there were MASSIVE amounts of Fireflexes failing. Many looked brand new too. I figure 90% of Fireflexes tested failed.

And the kick in the ass is those ****ers don't pay for their bats, it's the regular Joe that gets the shaft

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
And the kick in the ass is those ****ers don't pay for their bats, it's the regular Joe that gets the shaft

Most of these bats failing were from local teams who actually DID pay for them. I think 1 local team tested over 30 bats and had like 9 pass. Obviously all the fails weren't Fireflexes, but the amount of bats failing overall was like 60%.

Apparently 220 is pretty easy to get to these days. I won't even chalk it up to cheating. Simply that guys had bats they'd used for a while. This was the first time CO did any compression testing at a tourny this year.

Fireflexes seemed to be the most commonly failing bat.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...the amount of bats failing overall was like 60%.

Remember when utrip went with the thumbprint stamp and all new bats were supposed to spiral or crack before they exceeded the new standard? I guess that's all gone by the wayside.

USSSA needs to change something. They're allowing a dangerous situation to occur by passing new bats that surpass their bat standard so quickly. All well and good if everyone compression tested regularly, but we know that just doesn't happen. And the problem is compounded by allowing multiple types of balls.

In one part of the country you have people hitting .52's in hot, humid weather with a freshly tested bat. And in another area you have guys hitting Classic M's on a cool day with a bat that would fail miserably if it had been tested. Not even the same game.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Remember when utrip went with the thumbprint stamp and all new bats were supposed to spiral or crack before they exceeded the new standard? I guess that's all gone by the wayside.

USSSA needs to change something. They're allowing a dangerous situation to occur by passing new bats that surpass their bat standard so quickly. All well and good if everyone compression tested regularly, but we know that just doesn't happen. And the problem is compounded by allowing multiple types of balls.

In one part of the country you have people hitting .52's in hot, humid weather with a freshly tested bat. And in another area you have guys hitting Classic M's on a cool day with a bat that would fail miserably if it had been tested. Not even the same game.

I agree. USSSA has a dangerous combo of legal equipment right now (classic Ms and hot bats). I think USSSA needs to change 2 things. Make the classic + the only legal ball (other than stadium balls for stadium sized fields) and start making the pass/fail compression threshold 300.

Introducing the thumbprint stamp bats didn't make anything safer. If anything it made things worse. Now you have tons of bats that hover around 220 after 100 swings. And the bats don't crack or spiral when they hit 220 either.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Introducing the thumbprint stamp bats didn't make anything safer. If anything it made things worse. Now you have tons of bats that hover around 220 after 100 swings. And the bats don't crack or spiral when they hit 220 either.

When they introduced the stamp, the first wave of bats had issues with spiraling. I remember Mikens/Worths being the most notorious for it. Now they're leading the pack and you could argue that they started the trend towards bats that are hot quick and fail compression easily. Either they figured out how to sneak past the testing, or USSSA relaxed on their stance and gave in to pressure from manufacturers. Or both.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When they introduced the stamp, the first wave of bats had issues with spiraling. I remember Mikens/Worths being the most notorious for it. Now they're leading the pack and you could argue that they started the trend towards bats that are hot quick and fail compression easily. Either they figured out how to sneak past the testing, or USSSA relaxed on their stance and gave in to pressure from manufacturers. Or both.

Agree. When you have a major tourny, all bats from every team get tested. When you have more fail than pass you know you have a severe equipment problem. Softball bats today are out of control hot. It doesn't matter what ball you use, the bats are light sabers.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
Does USSSA even compression test as part of their certification process? My understanding was that they just checked the BPF until breaking but not the compression of the bat. If they did compression test as part of the certification process, the Demarini Uflips would never have passed certification.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
good thing around here they dont test anything lol, last time i seen a bat checked was in Tulsa after i hit a pitcher, they tested the bat it passed 220 gave it back that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Does USSSA even compression test as part of their certification process? My understanding was that they just checked the BPF until breaking but not the compression of the bat. If they did compression test as part of the certification process, the Demarini Uflips would never have passed certification.

When the thumbprint stamp came out, nobody had heard of compression testing. It showed up a few years later so I'm pretty certain it was never part of the certification process.

sosa2314

Laser show
Had a 40 hit blueline fail in Utah state a few weeks ago. Im surprised Colorado State didnt test TWMccoy. Thats another story for another time.
I agree though, Classic + balls with these bats have to be the limit. Classic M's come off way too fast. At least with the 52s the infielders have a chance.
As far as making the pass/fail 300, no ones bats would pass right now. I had to go get a NIW blueline out of the car in Utah, it tested at 270. Utrip already make us buy new bats for the thumb print. Can you imagine if they upped the ante and made pass/fail 300? ASA might be relevant again in this area if that happened.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Had a 40 hit blueline fail in Utah state a few weeks ago. Im surprised Colorado State didnt test TWMccoy. Thats another story for another time.
I agree though, Classic + balls with these bats have to be the limit. Classic M's come off way too fast. At least with the 52s the infielders have a chance.
As far as making the pass/fail 300, no ones bats would pass right now. I had to go get a NIW blueline out of the car in Utah, it tested at 270. Utrip already make us buy new bats for the thumb print. Can you imagine if they upped the ante and made pass/fail 300? ASA might be relevant again in this area if that happened.

I didn't see any bat testing at CO state. At the major a few weeks ago all the bats got tested and probably 60% of in-state bats failed. Yeah, hitting anything harder than C+ balls with those bats is insanity. USSSA needs to take a hard look at bat/ball standards and make some changes. I think they base all their decisions based off playing conditions in FL. Let me just say that FL is a hot, humid place and things can be dramatically different in other parts of the country.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When the thumbprint stamp came out, nobody had heard of compression testing. It showed up a few years later so I'm pretty certain it was never part of the certification process.

I miss the old days. You could buy a USSSA bat (any brand) and count on putting 1000 BP swings on it with hard balls to get it going. Now you buy a Fireflex and its practically failing out of the wrapper.

USSSA bats were WAAAYYY stiffer a decade ago than they are now.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They could tell the companies we're going to 250-275 compression in two years. You can either churn out as many of the current bats as you want or start making bats to the new standard. They'd just keep making the current bats and not caring like the 100 mph bats with asa 14 years ago. They'd basically be banned by the new standards but both sides could push the blame.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem they should care about is legally I think their thinking is stupid and will not protect them in court. They only care about their own wallet. I assume they think that a park not compression testing will save them from a lawsuit, but I don't see it. It seems like it's only a matter of time before someone is killed by a new bat, and a lawsuit happens. Do they really think a judge in going to find it reasonable that they allow (silently endorse) $300 bats that fail that quickly? Easton can say, they approved the design. The association has a much higher responsibility imo than to just say, it passed at some point. They instituted these compression rules, but they don't require testing. I think that, plus how quickly these approved bats fail, would be enough to win a lawsuit against them.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The problem they should care about is legally I think their thinking is stupid and will not protect them in court. They only care about their own wallet. I assume they think that a park not compression testing will save them from a lawsuit, but I don't see it. It seems like it's only a matter of time before someone is killed by a new bat, and a lawsuit happens. Do they really think a judge in going to find it reasonable that they allow (silently endorse) $300 bats that fail that quickly? Easton can say, they approved the design. The association has a much higher responsibility imo than to just say, it passed at some point. They instituted these compression rules, but they don't require testing. I think that, plus how quickly these approved bats fail, would be enough to win a lawsuit against them.

It wouldn't be ethical, but it would be easy to avoid a lawsuit.
The manufacturer can say that their bat was made to USSSA's standard, USSSA just has to show their testing results and approval process. Due diligence was done and the bat met standards when it was produced.

That bat that killed ol' Jimmy with a rocket linedrive to the throat? Well, you see, your honour.... that bat was used and we don't know what was done to it between the time it was made and the time Jimmy's wife was made a widow. Could've been beat against a tree or rolled down a hill. Or *gasp* used to hit non-approved balls.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't be ethical, but it would be easy to avoid a lawsuit.
The manufacturer can say that their bat was made to USSSA's standard, USSSA just has to show their testing results and approval process. Due diligence was done and the bat met standards when it was produced.

That bat that killed ol' Jimmy with a rocket linedrive to the throat? Well, you see, your honour.... that bat was used and we don't know what was done to it between the time it was made and the time Jimmy's wife was made a widow. Could've been beat against a tree or rolled down a hill. Or *gasp* used to hit non-approved balls.
That is all true, and would've been their easy way to avoid it in the past, but them days are over for some. Now that some bats are coming out of the wrapper below 250, they could make a three minute or less video where they buy five bats, put his on then test them, and show them failing.

This isn't a criminal trial were you need a high level of guilt. This is a civil suit where it's simply more likely than not, and that's my whole point. You're paying a lawyer $500/hr just to listen to you, how hard would it be for him to order five bats from five different retailers and have them sent to a lab they contract with for this? What's the judge going to say when he sees the bat test at 250 in the wrapper, hit once, and it now tests at 245, and the threshold is 220? I think it's 50/50 he says what dip stick came up with this test and standard? 6 legal swings?

It's hard to prove and hard to win, but just winning isn't going to be enough to keep utrip where they are either. Nobody cares about utrip. If they take a hit in the public eye from deaths and lawsuits, and asa sweeps in with discounts and better tourney prizes they could find themselves headed towards NSA levels of popularity very quickly.

starkbomber

Addicted to Softballfans
I miss the old days. You could buy a USSSA bat (any brand) and count on putting 1000 BP swings on it with hard balls to get it going. Now you buy a Fireflex and its practically failing out of the wrapper.

USSSA bats were WAAAYYY stiffer a decade ago than they are now.

I hear ya man. We recently tested an OG syn+, just for kicks. Bat had a couple hundred cuts or so. It tested around 360. Lol! Like you said: back then, the expectation was you put in your work, the bat broke in, your swing improved and away you go.

Now we are spoiled. I hit one of the new Resmondo's that was testing at 190. Hitting a classic M with that combo is pretty well senior bat territory. I never had my pocket radar out....but I am curious to see what kind of exit velo that combo is at.

My personal take is that ya....hitting hot bats is fun, but having to buy 5 a year due to testing or durability issues is not. I can say for certain, even though these new thumbprint bats are supposed to break at or shortly after 220 compression, they are not.

bulldog10

swamp donkey slayer
I didn't see any bat testing at CO state. At the major a few weeks ago all the bats got tested and probably 60% of in-state bats failed. Yeah, hitting anything harder than C+ balls with those bats is insanity. USSSA needs to take a hard look at bat/ball standards and make some changes. I think they base all their decisions based off playing conditions in FL. Let me just say that FL is a hot, humid place and things can be dramatically different in other parts of the country.

you are correct there 100% sir florida is the taint of America. it's always humid here.

Pops34

Part Time Player
My Flex just failed after 150 swings - pissed. Does Easton do anything as a result of this? Return??? I've only had this for a couple of months.

dunkky

funny how things get changed so quickly so dramatically around the world.

who would've thought Easton would be the leading manuf to produce most fragile bats over other manuf.
Money can change a lotta things so quickly.

I still don't see what is there really got to loose to use just 52s over hard balls. I mean no one's gonna loose... oh well...