FK got me thinking...

BanjoDan

<font color="#8B3A3A">Finger Pickin' Good</font>
I like RF and RC. Just don't feel at home on the left side.

But I have played all OF positions including short center/rover, 1B, 2B, SS, P, and C. Played one inning at SS and 2nd base, each. Hate playing middle infield, and it's doesn't help that I suck at it. Don't mind 1B, but love being in the battery.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I like RF and RC. Just don't feel at home on the left side.

But I have played all OF positions including short center/rover, 1B, 2B, SS, P, and C. Played one inning at SS and 2nd base, each. Hate playing middle infield, and it's doesn't help that I suck at it. Don't mind 1B, but love being in the battery.

I don't really have the arm to play 3B. And I just don't have the glove, I don't think, to play SS. If I ever can't play the OF for some reason, I think I'm going to 2B. There or C. :D

BanjoDan

<font color="#8B3A3A">Finger Pickin' Good</font>
I don't really have the arm to play 3B. And I just don't have the glove, I don't think, to play SS. If I ever can't play the OF for some reason, I think I'm going to 2B. There or C. :D

Just do like Mike Shannon and convert from OF to 3rd. He had a hell of an arm.

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
I grew up catching and pitching then when i lost command of my pitches I moved to 3rd and 1st.

So now i go 3rd, P, 1st, C, 2nd, SS. Ill play in the outfield but i feel like im in a foreign country out there so its only if absolutely necessary and theres no where else for me to play. EH sounds like dun too.

DSNuts48

Badass
I started softball in the outfield and did alright, but I filled in at 1st once and never went back to all that running. I actually subbed a game a couple months ago in the outfield and realized that I suck at it now.

bradblah

Weeeeee
Been playing 1B since I was 7 years old.....I pitch fast pitch, but slow pitch I'll only play the corners - and only 3B when absolutely necessary.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I'm just mediocre enough to play anywhere. This year I'm playing SS on my coed team, and LF/LC on my mens team. I've also spent some time at P, C, 2B, and 3B. I don't like 2B as much, and I haven't had to play 1B in a long time.

I did have fun at a tournament a couple weekends ago--we were short a guy our first game, so I put myself in CF with two 50+ year olds on either side of me.

Bukethead32

Happy meal TWINS....
I prefer playing 3b or pitcher but I can play anywhere. I don't have a cannon for an arm but it gets the job done.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
99% of the time I play L or LC. I played right a few times, but don't like the look and throwing from there. When my time is done in the OF I would like to try out 1st.

Last edited:

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I play LF on 4 competitive teams.

In the fall I play shortstop in a recreational-level league to give my knees a much-needed rest.

When I'm injured, I play 1B. I played 1B when I was a kid and can do it in my sleep.

jaj23

Eye Baller
Played my first game at 1st last night (by default) against a team with 5 lefties :eek:
Talk about trial by fire...

4 put-outs plus a 3-6-3 double play :cool:

I might have stumbled across something here...

3-6-3 is hard to do in softball. Nice work.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
1B is definitely my first choice. I've been playing there for the most part since I was 11; combine that with my height and my good glove and it's the logical place for me whenever possible. 3B is a distant second. I have a good arm for 3rd but lack the ideal range/quickness for a 3B. I'd say I'm a good 1B and a serviceable 3B.

Also EH'd for my fall team last year when I wasn't playing 3rd. Didn't play a single game at 1st because the "coach" wanted to play 1st. His inability to stretch or scoop properly made that painful to watch from 3rd or the dugout. :(

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
1B is definitely my first choice. I've been playing there for the most part since I was 11; combine that with my height and my good glove and it's the logical place for me whenever possible. 3B is a distant second. I have a good arm for 3rd but lack the ideal range/quickness for a 3B. I'd say I'm a good 1B and a serviceable 3B.

Also EH'd for my fall team last year. Didn't play a single game at 1st because the "coach" wanted to play 1st. His inability to stretch or scoop properly made that painful to watch from 3rd or the dugout.

I'll tell you what.... from the limited times I've played IF, it SUCKS when you have someone questionable at 1B. Cuz then you have to baby your throw over there.

It's awesome when you have a big guy there, cuz then you have this huge target to throw to.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I'll tell you what.... from the limited times I've played IF, it SUCKS when you have someone questionable at 1B. Cuz then you have to baby your throw over there.

It's awesome when you have a big guy there, cuz then you have this huge target to throw to.

Hit the nail on the head! He could actually kind of stretch, but he kinda lunged and looked like he was falling over whenever he did, which got him alot of "pulled the foot" calls. I had to play 3rd for our only tourney game this summer because we were once again missing a ton of guys. Only got one ball it my way all game:(. Sharp liner down the line that I snapped off, and that was it.

My fall team tried every shift possible to keep me at 1st for the game, but it just wasn't doable. I've always said, a good 1B can make a decent infield look good, and a good infield look great. Alot of teams use it as a throwaway position for their slow guys, but a good 1B can make a big difference if you have one.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay

What do you recommend for a guy who drops a perfect, chest-high throw? And 1st might be the best place for him.