USSSA Flat Pitch

LoudMouf

Starting Player
I am curious how many of the Utrip umps here actually call a flat pitch as unfairly delivered. I live in New Mexico and it seems like the umps here never seem to call unfairly delivered on a pitch failing to arc 3 ft. (Let alone the 5ft GSL calls for).

I just wasnt sure if this was a common issue or if this was just a thing here locally. On the flip side of the coin it seems like umps here call anything over 7ft from the ground as too high.

milesej05

The Rookie
I've seen it multiple times from a team we play against on Sundays. Im guessing this pitcher throws the ball about 20mph, no joke. Lets go about 6" above the ground and only goes about 3-4' above the ground. Crosses the batter around the waist but lands about 5-8' behind the plate

tntviper1

who is this god fellow?
I am curious how many of the Utrip umps here actually call a flat pitch as unfairly delivered. I live in New Mexico and it seems like the umps here never seem to call unfairly delivered on a pitch failing to arc 3 ft. (Let alone the 5ft GSL calls for).

I just wasnt sure if this was a common issue or if this was just a thing here locally. On the flip side of the coin it seems like umps here call anything over 7ft from the ground as too high.
why is it not just a ball instead of unfairly delivered? un fairly delivered i take as outside the pitching area, or 5 second violation

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
if it is let go at 6" from the ground and gets to 4 feet off the ground - then it is a legal pitch. In Utrip the rule is 3 feet from release. The described pitch meets that standard. IF the pitch crosses the batter at the waist - this would also meet the requirement of being a strike. The landing distance behind plate is not relevant to the determination of a strike. SO it is possible that the described pitch could be called a strike.

Now if the pitch is thrown with "excessive speed" that could be where you may get an "unfairly delivered" pitch. This of course would be a judgement call on the part of the umpire. That said, this is slow pitch softball, and if you are getting a flat pitch belt high why in the hell are you not swinging? This is an absolute cookie!

LoudMouf

Starting Player
why is it not just a ball instead of unfairly delivered? un fairly delivered i take as outside the pitching area, or 5 second violation

Because the rules state that any pitch that does not meet all the requirements of a fairly delivered pitch is considered an unfairly delivered pitch.

Not that it makes it any different than a typical ball. If you swing at an unfairly delivered pitch it will still count as a strike. Its just a term used by USSSA to state a pitch did not meet the correct parameters to make it good pitch.

I have seen the guys do the 6 inches off the ground at the release and that isnt my problem. I see it all day long the guy throwing from his waist and the ball not even getting to eye level (and I am 6 feet tall) and passing the plate just above my knees and the umps call it a strike. Im like WTF?!?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
That said, this is slow pitch softball, and if you are getting a flat pitch belt high why in the hell are you not swinging? This is an absolute cookie!

^^^^^THIS

Yeah, I don't get this. Never played UTRIP, never will in Canada. We still play with a 6' to 12' arc and most pitchers throw around 14' and get away with it. Anything under 8' gets consistently demolished.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
lol at your problems. utrip around here: a pitch is delivered from 3', never gets above 4', almost grazes the plate while landing behind it at you shoe height...called a strike.

you hit that waist high pitch everytime.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I think we do a pretty good job here of making sure the pitch is fairly delivered but consistently hear from players that play elsewhere that flat and fast is the rule rather than the exception. I worked a C national last year and almost tossed an entire team for complaining about the strike zone when I called a pitch flat. Of course the stares I get when I call a pitch that made it across the plate low make me laugh too.