Foam Rolling...

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
How many of you foam roll?
What types of rollers do you find effective?
Anyone make their own? What's some good ones to invest in?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I roll every day. I'd have to look up which one I have though. I love it. If you're a bigger guy you may want to make sure you get a harder one so it won't break down over time.

Roll1

OBGYN
I Roll once in while ,usually to relieve soreness and promote recovery after a hard workout. I use 3 different types. 2 of them are the generic ones like this
41EDSYx9klL._SY355_.jpg

One is super firm for working out knots in your back etc. And the other is softer for when your just to injured or sore to apply to much pressure.

The main one I use is a trigger point grid roller.
trigger-point-grid-foam-roller.html

The firmness is in between the first two and is more comfortable. The grid pattern just feels a bit better than a plain roller.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I roll prior to training and prior to bp and/or tournaments. I have a rumble roller. Love it.

rumble-roller-2.jpg

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I foam roll every day and the athletes I work with all foam roll approximately 10-15 minutes before every workout. The black rollers are the hardest, and even PVC pipe, work well. Ill also use a baseball to roll my feet, calves, glutes, pecs, shoulder, etc.

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys for all the replies! Gonna try a PVC and find something to cover with to give texture

wcoastsoftball

Thanks guys for all the replies! Gonna try a PVC and find something to cover with to give texture

If you are starting out, I do not think the PVC will be the best choice. It is hard of course and can be more uncomfortable than any real roller out there. If you want to start, go get a cheap one from Target or Wal Mart and start there IMO.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are starting out, I do not think the PVC will be the best choice. It is hard of course and can be more uncomfortable than any real roller out there. If you want to start, go get a cheap one from Target or Wal Mart and start there IMO.

I agree. I have a black one like above and I'l need to replace it soon. It sounds like it's breaking down in the middle.

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
actually, my gym has some of the ones from post #3. Used it today and I must say its different and a workout in itself...lol

OLD BAY

Part Time Player
Get lacrosse balls and tube socks. Much cheaper. And a dough roller and a real roller. As for his "book" supple leopard...it is a nice reference but other than that I got bored trying to read it.

I don't know much about him or mobility stuff. I found out about him when i was researching shoulder injuries and it led me to Mark Bell and a slingshot.

wcoastsoftball

I don't know what the "slingshot" is, but if it is the voodoo bands, that is one product I would say to pick up. Won't be able to find a similar product in a local store. I made some out of thick therabands I had in my training room.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you say dough roller, do you mean a rolling pin or is this something new I've never heard of?

wcoastsoftball

When you say dough roller, do you mean a rolling pin or is this something new I've never heard of?

yeah, rolling pin. I guess I mean don't buy one, but most people have them already. Kids here are often low income, so instead of having them go buy a $20 roller or Tiger Stick, I tell them to raid the kitchen and use that. I guess some may work good and others not, not sure if there are different sizes of pins.

OLD BAY

Part Time Player
I don't know what the "slingshot" is, but if it is the voodoo bands, that is one product I would say to pick up. Won't be able to find a similar product in a local store. I made some out of thick therabands I had in my training room.

It's a bench aid that takes some of the pressure off the shoulders and can add about 10% to your bench for overload training. search it on youtube or check out howmuchyabench.net

OLD BAY

Part Time Player
Which model do you have? I may try one once I get my taxes back. I get really bored by benching so maybe this will bring new life to that lift for me.

I have the red but have also used the yellow. It's great for being able to do extra reps or extra weight and it takes stress off the shoulders. I'd recommend using light weight to get used to it at first since you may be changing your bar bath from what you're used to.

NoNameJames

Star Player
I have been using a foam roller to help with shin splints. It seems to help but very little. Any other advice? They are crazy painful.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Get lacrosse balls and tube socks. Much cheaper. And a dough roller and a real roller. As for his "book" supple leopard...it is a nice reference but other than that I got bored trying to read it.

A dough roller is all I use. I might have given $10 for it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using a foam roller to help with shin splints. It seems to help but very little. Any other advice? They are crazy painful.

The best advice I've ever gotten for shin splints is an exercise. When you have time, just stand against a wall with your heels as close to the wall as your ass will allow. I would normally just do one set of ten at a time, and if you overdo it, obviously you'll give yourself shin splints, but just lift your toes off the ground in this position. I did that for about a week and never got them again.

I'd never had them before, but after my ACL surgery I started getting them while doing the rehab. This fixed them right up. I can also flex the front of my shins now. :D