For the pitchers..

Search the webz for some of the drills that hockey goalies use to stay sharp. There might be some visual acuity stuff that would help you out.

yjzep

Throws Underhand
Raquet ball after the tennis ball drill gets easy. Also watch the ball and don't fear it. I see more guys who get popped while backpedaling then that get popped from a ready stance. Sometimes the backpedal goes overboard. a couple steps and ready, you don't wanna be off balance when they make contact!

PCLUB

Addicted to Softballfans
After you have pitched awhile I can pretty much tell where ball is going. Be it batters swing or location of pitch. Bottom line is pay attention and wear a mask.

QUINTIN

Addicted to Softballfans
I started playing racquetball. It helps in 2 ways. One with cardio & the other being eye hand reaction time. That ball gets to moving pretty fast at times & it really helps you track the ball to the racquet (or what would be you're glove).

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I started playing racquetball. It helps in 2 ways. One with cardio & the other being eye hand reaction time. That ball gets to moving pretty fast at times & it really helps you track the ball to the racquet (or what would be you're glove).

Interesting..... do you hold the racquet with your glove hand (non-dominant)?

%%%

pitcherman

Used to almost be good
Practice by standing in front of a dart board as people play. You will become very quick or very porous.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I have a bucket of tennis balls that I pitch to some buddies in BP and tell them to blow middle...... Tennis balls dont hurt if they hit you and helps your reaction time! Plus its fun for them to try and blow u up and even more fun when you snap them off....

spdracer7326

Addicted to Softballfans
you have to learn to be a cat on the mound... it takes years to get used to it. and when you think you got it, you take a shot off the leg to bring you back to reality.

my brother and i used to stand about 15 feet from a wall and chuck a golf ball ... that thing comes off QUICK!!!!.. its also alot smaller then a baseball/softball so it makes me concentrate more..

The Mad Hatter

Addicted to Softballfans
There isn't that much you can do to prepare you for some of the hot middle shots. Getting out of the way sometimes is your only real good defense. I'd recommend regular grounders to help improve your fielding and positioning skills. They don't have to be lasers - just some normal ground balls to work on your footwork, positioning, etc. Quick reaction sports like racquetball, handball and tennis are also good sports to work on tracking the ball, and the tennis ball or super ball off the brick wall is another good drill. The best thing you can do is work on your mental setup prior to the middle shot. Know the pitch you're going to throw, how you're going to step off the mound, where you need to go when (not if) you field the ball, etc are all pre-pitch thoughts you need to have to set yourself up for the best chance to field the middle.

alan21615

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been pitching for 5 years, I wear a cup (sometimes) and a ginormous 13" glove, and that's it. I pitch off the mound, not behind it. I play in two leagues, 1 ASA and 1 Outlaw league. I've taken a few balls off my ankles, but nothing higher than that... and at least half the teams in the Outlaw league are swinging Ultra's. I used to play a TON of ping-pong (semi-pro, not your garden variety rec stuff), and I give credit to that experience for not having been drilled up to this point... plus, I find it really freaks out batters that I stand that close, lets me get a better angle on the ball (comes down straighter, much harder to hit). I should mention here that I'm 23, so for the moment I still have no fear of pain or death... lol.

All that being said, it all comes down to reactions. Balls come off the bat so fast you have no time to think about what you're doing, you just have trust your instincts. If you don't have any, get off the mound.

Last edited:

alan21615

Addicted to Softballfans
oh ya, and if you're a pitcher who's worth beans, you can make the hitter take it one side or the other... nothing is more fun that throwing short and inside to the guy trying to go opposite field... popout/groundout 9 times out of 10. Also, if you got guys who are really waiting on their pitch, start throwing knucklers... they have to think about it more, so there's almost always less power behind the swing.

capt_nemo4

Addicted to Softballfans
Ultimately, standing in front of the net will make or break you. However, we live in a kinder, gentler era so i suggest you start by reading ImminentDanger's post about breaking in a new pitcher. Those are great basics for any pitcher. I've been pitching ASA for a year now and have had some scary fly by's. I have a very quick reaction and that has helped me a lot. What has been the greatest help is to pitch the ball and IMMEDIATELY get into a defensive stance wiht my knees slightly bent and my glove in front of me ready for the "soft"ball to come right back at me. Pitching is not for the weak of heart and I applaud you for being as "off center" as the rest of us that enjoy pitching.
Also, don't ever go onto the field without at least a cup.

murc

Alot of good info in here. Thanks guys.

My problem is not the reflexes to reacting to the shot up the middle... It's the getting my body acclamated to handling said shots. So I'm guessing practice(or a form thereof) is my only option.

I thought up a scheme based on a previous suggestion.. we have a bunch of tennis balls and a bat.. I'll just stand about 30 or 40' away from whoever has the bat.. and practice defending myself.. I have a street hockey mask and a cup to use for this exercise that oughta help my confidence in it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alot of good info in here. Thanks guys.

My problem is not the reflexes to reacting to the shot up the middle... It's the getting my body acclamated to handling said shots. So I'm guessing practice(or a form thereof) is my only option.

I thought up a scheme based on a previous suggestion.. we have a bunch of tennis balls and a bat.. I'll just stand about 30 or 40' away from whoever has the bat.. and practice defending myself.. I have a street hockey mask and a cup to use for this exercise that oughta help my confidence in it.

I wouldn't worry about the mask with tennis balls, but would still wear a cup. :D I just have my wife hit at me with my cup and mouthpiece. I had her hit at me when I first got my helmet, but that thing was so easy to get used to that was really unnecessary. The helmet forces me to keep my head down and look straight at the ball so I'd definitely recommend one if you're playing serious ball. Besides increasing safety it helped my fielding(above the added confidence).

murc

I wouldn't worry about the mask with tennis balls, but would still wear a cup. :D I just have my wife hit at me with my cup and mouthpiece. I had her hit at me when I first got my helmet, but that thing was so easy to get used to that was really unnecessary. The helmet forces me to keep my head down and look straight at the ball so I'd definitely recommend one if you're playing serious ball. Besides increasing safety it helped my fielding(above the added confidence).

Noted. I've planned to bring a tee to a tennis court and have teammates smash tennis balls at me.. I'm only gonna be about 20' away. I'm sure something hilarious is gonna happen, so I may bring a Flipcam.

pok

Banned User
I imagine being a cricket bowler would carry about the same risk as pitching. Practice with them :D

murc

I imagine being a cricket bowler would carry about the same risk as pitching. Practice with them :D

Hell no. Those mofos... I can't bear to even be around them.

It's a little D2 ****hole that wishes it was D1. Lamar.

klu

on the mound
i just have my brother take a metal bat and slap grounders n liners at me from about 30 feet... doesnt come off as hard but hard enough that you better catch the ball or you're effed.