ASA Foul Tip

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Foul tip goes back and hits the ump and the catcher catches it off of him. The ball did make a noticable change of direction but can the catcher make the play off of the ump. I know he's part of the field for hits and throws but does the same apply to catching a foul tip off of him?

Joker

you can't make a catch off a wall and it's part of the field just the same as an ump

sjury

The Old Man
The instant it hits the umpire it's a dead ball and it's a foul ball.

/thread

doesn't a foul tip have to go higher than the ump to be considered an out anyway?

No, the ball could technically be over the umpires head and still be a foul tip, if the catcher had his/her glove up in the air, and the ball went off the bat sharply and directly to the glove. A foul ball doesn't have to be over anyone's head, it just has to have a perceivable arc. The height of an umpire has no bearing on any call in softball, and the batter's height only matters on called balls and strikes.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Foul tip goes back and hits the ump and the catcher catches it off of him. The ball did make a noticable change of direction but can the catcher make the play off of the ump. I know he's part of the field for hits and throws but does the same apply to catching a foul tip off of him?

To start, this is not a foul tip.

Batted ball hits umpire in foul territory, it is a foul ball

All the rest is just a waste of keystrokes :)

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Does anyone know the actual rule number. Had the same umo last night and he makes a smart comment about i should have looked up the rule on Sunday night

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Rule 1 Definitions.
Foul Ball- A batted ball that:
C. While over foul territory, touches touches the person, attached or detached equipment of a player or an umpire, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

pineapple

no
strike and delayed dead ball in asa with stealing