FP bats for Slowpitch???

So I'm wondering... do guys actually use fastpitch softball bats in slowpitch softball leagues? I see so many people talking about the Phenix, CF3, CF4, etc. I feel like these would be so light, but maybe these bats just fit their swing better? Or are these bats awesome enough to be considered by all?

gmoney1996

Addicted to Softballfans
So I'm wondering... do guys actually use fastpitch softball bats in slowpitch softball leagues? I see so many people talking about the Phenix, CF3, CF4, etc. I feel like these would be so light, but maybe these bats just fit their swing better? Or are these bats awesome enough to be considered by all?

They actually swing heavier than the sticker says.

10sparks14

Addicted to Softballfans
I cant speak for the demarini's but my wife swings the scn1b and has no problem burning the outfielders. Im not gonna lie I have used it a couple times, it smokes the ball.

brettcohen1

Addicted to Softballfans
fp bats

I do not know the exact reason, i have heard that some of the fp bats have less layers than some of the slowpitch bats, but for whatever reason some of them just tend to be very hot. The only fastpitch bats that I have swung are phenixes and ss2rb and the phenix is a great bat while the easton was just ok. I would think some people just like a lighter bat or some like a shorter bat or a combination of both.

The downside is that some associations will not allow you to swing a fp bat in their tournies. Nothing like going up to the plate and told to head back to the dugout to get a different bat, especially if you only brought that one for the tourney.

I would be very interested in hearing if there are any structural differences between fp and sp bats.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
It's interesting that people support the FP bats in SP leagues.

I googled this and read a ton (maybe 4 or 5) articles. If you knew how often I read, you'd understand the "ton" reference.

Here's what I learned:

The fastpitch bat is made for bat speed and greater pitched ball speed. It has thinner walls. Reason being the impact is influneced by the pitched ball more than the swing as compared to a slow pitch which is all about batted ball speed based on a players strength in swinging the bat.

The Fastpitch bats will not last long in a slow pitch league.

That being said I've never used one but thought about getting the heaviest one possible, 25oz and trying it out.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal

I googled this and read a ton (maybe 4 or 5) articles. If you knew how often I read, you'd understand the "ton" reference.

Here's what I learned:

The fastpitch bat is made for bat speed and greater pitched ball speed. It has thinner walls. Reason being the impact is influneced by the pitched ball more than the swing as compared to a slow pitch which is all about batted ball speed based on a players strength in swinging the bat.

That being said I've never used one but thought about getting the heaviest one possible, 25oz and trying it out.

I concur with everything said here.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I just read this answer from an ASA official:

I know bat manufacturers are now making what they call "slow pitch" or "fast pitch" bats.

A bat marked "official softball" is softball bat, is a softball bat, legal for any softball game (I don't want to leave out my modified friends here).

For verification just go back to the rules you quoted me. They don't say "official fast pitch" or "official slow pitch". Any bat that meets 3-1-a-k is a legal bat for any ASA softball game.

Jazzyc91

Here's what I learned:

They make 26oz fp bats ex. Phenix,cf3,cf4,srv3b, etc.
And sometimes those bats are heavier than sticker weight so it's like swinging a sp bat.

Gawddamn there is a bunch of ignorance going on in here......

Feel free to add some knowledge, or you can just sit there and type things that don't matter. I started this thread because I am genuinely curious if people use FP bats for SP, and if so why and which ones. I kinda feel like they would break more often due to faster swing speeds. I've seen them made in 26oz, and people have said they swing heavier than sticker weight, so that would make it much like swinging a SP bat. I play in a few different leagues, and one is a co-ed rec league. I thought it might be nice to pick up a lighter bat for the girls to use.

Burger1976

Banned User
I actually picked up a 26oz CF4 Black a month ago. I don't play any fp, but I'm also curious about fp bats performance in sp. I haven't been able to hit any balls yet, but the swing feels great.

Jazzyc91

As you can tell from my sig I pretty much swing nothing but fp bats.
Last year was my final year playing fp because I am now 19 soon to be 20 and I am now to old to play fp on a travel or rec team. So I play sp.
I swing either a phenix,srv3b and now that I have a scn2b & 5b I will be swinging those. One of my friends that plays with me swings my cf3 and won't touch any other bat. I will chose a fp bat over a sp bat any day especially my 34/26 phenix that bat is crazy!
For a coed team a fp bat is great because it's lighter.
My mom used to swing am old 34/26 metal Nike bat that she had but after she sung my 24oz phenix she won't swing another bat.
I've used my fp bats in sp for awhile and have yet to have one break on me in sp.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
As you can tell from my sig I pretty much swing nothing but fp bats.
Last year was my final year playing fp because I am now 19 soon to be 20 and I am now to old to play fp on a travel or rec team.

For a coed team a fp bat is great because it's lighter.
My mom used to swing am old 34/26 metal Nike bat that she had but after she sung my 24oz phenix she won't swing another bat.
I've used my fp bats in sp for awhile and have yet to have one break on me in sp.

I'm guessing you are a lady? I don't want to seem insencitive but for the HR hitters in SP, the swing power is pretty hefty. Denting a FP that say is -13 and used, could happen with the course of a season, especially if others use it.

As a kid we dented softball bats with baseballs all the time...and we were kids.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I swing the 34/26 Virus Fastpitch, I havent found a better bat that suits my swing right now. There are a few others that are very close.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Feel free to add some knowledge, or you can just sit there and type things that don't matter. I started this thread because I am genuinely curious if people use FP bats for SP, and if so why and which ones. I kinda feel like they would break more often due to faster swing speeds. I've seen them made in 26oz, and people have said they swing heavier than sticker weight, so that would make it much like swinging a SP bat. I play in a few different leagues, and one is a co-ed rec league. I thought it might be nice to pick up a lighter bat for the girls to use.

Hey mental midget....Scootdog and I are trying to tell you that this topic has been beat to death. If you took an extra 5 minutes and tried a search on this topic you would see there are multiple theads on it already because you apparently think you are the only person in the softball community that has thought or wondered about this very topic.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey mental midget....Scootdog and I are trying to tell you that this topic has been beat to death. If you took an extra 5 minutes and tried a search on this topic you would see there are multiple theads on it already because you apparently think you are the only person in the softball community that has thought or wondered about this very topic.

Trung, as usual, is spot-on ... this is probably 2nd only to "Top ASA Bat" in that regard.

However, because I'm avoiding work, I'll sum up for you:

-There are manufacturing differences between FP and SP bats, but generally not as severe as you might think.

-One main difference is the handle is often reinforced because of different stresses on the bat.

-Another is that MOI/etc. are changed because of the different swings with and requirements for FP players - for some players, these differences may make a positive difference (often players with slower swing speeds, which will also be aided by a lighter bat). For others, FP bats may not work as well. [This info per tumblebug]

-Many FP bats are made in -8, so 34/26 (the exact same as SP bats) exist. They are legal everywhere barring league rules - "OFFICIAL SOFTBALL" and all that. Some, like VFPs, were even made in 27 and 28 (rare).

-While some may have durability issues, it's not the rule - OG Easton FP bats still act like OG Eastons, for example, and Catalysts last longer than you do.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Trung, as usual, is spot-on ... this is probably 2nd only to "Top ASA Bat" in that regard.

-There are manufacturing differences between FP and SP bats, but generally not as severe as you might think.

-One main difference is the handle is often reinforced because of different stresses on the bat.

-Another is that MOI/etc. are changed because of the different swings with and requirements for FP players - for some players, these differences may make a positive difference (often players with slower swing speeds, which will also be aided by a lighter bat). For others, FP bats may not work as well. [This info per tumblebug]

-Many FP bats are made in -8, so 34/26 (the exact same as SP bats) exist. They are legal everywhere barring league rules - "OFFICIAL SOFTBALL" and all that. Some, like VFPs, were even made in 27 and 28 (rare).

-While some may have durability issues, it's not the rule - OG Easton FP bats still act like OG Eastons, for example, and Catalysts last longer than you do.

I concur with all of this, as well.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans

Mr know it all!!!!!!!!

Mental midget huh? I'll guarantee I have a better education than you, but that is besides the point. I honestly could care less if everyone and their mother has posted about this before. If you don't want to read/post about it, then please just move on. There's plenty of other stuff to read about on this site. I have every right to start a new conversation about it, and have no need to read your insignificant posts. All they do is give my thread free bumps. I know there are people on this site with softball knowledge much greater than my own, and I'm looking for those people to share their thoughts with me.

Thank you sir! I understand that certain threads may get old, but most topics have been covered 100 times on these forums I'm sure. I appreciate you taking a few moments to help out. I might look into getting a FP bat for my rec league at work.

LoveyPSU

Sorry, wrong trajectory
Thank you sir! I understand that certain threads may get old, but most topics have been covered 100 times on these forums I'm sure. I appreciate you taking a few moments to help out. I might look into getting a FP bat for my rec league at work.

If you like your current sig bats and want to get a heavier FP, start yourself off with a SCN2B, SCN5B, or VIRFP1. Just make sure you stay with a 34".

6040adam

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that I've given my 2 cents...who is using them in SP leagues, and what are you using?

i have a 34/26 demarini cf4 black that i will be trying out this year... it is as hot as my rd 28... if a ( FP ) bat is that hot.... why not use it? a bat is a bat imo

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I found this:
Louisville Slugger TPS Triton: FPXT8 Fastpitch - Composite Bat
on a sight 34/26 MIW for $80.

This same bat at sports authority is $219. I made sure they were both FPXT8.

Maybe it's last years model or something, but it's out there, if you're looking for a composite bat under $100 and want to try a FPB.