Freak12 USSSA

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I'd go as far as saying 52 and 40/400 only and it would get past 1000 and still test OK.

Soon as it hits harder than that, then it won't surprise me that it fails eventually before 1000.

I hit 47/500 from time to time with some of my bats off the tee to help break them in quick in the early stage. So I probably fall under the category that it would fail early with my Freak 12 and Hall 220.

Then again, I'd have to actually own a bat long enough to get to 1000 hits :biggthumpup:

Freak 12 continues to amaze me. I pulled one out of a park I never usually clear yesterday at BP. And with authority into a bit of headwind. It gave me full confidence in this stick now. I am getting the 12" barrel around nice, but it's so forgiving that I am not even thinking about it being a 12" like I would be with a Demarini or Easton bat with much smaller sweet spots.

Big big fan of this stick coming from highly endorsing the White DC41, Legits, and Freak Blacks.

And it murders 52s which for me is a must, as we game 52s here but rules call for Utrip thumbprint bats in NSA or SPN/SPO sanctions we play in. There is little to no ASA allowed up here in Canada, unless it is a grandfathered asa2004 stamp. But we can't hit the new ASA stuff unless it is a dual stamp with the Utrip thumb too. And as we all know, Duals tend to suck with a few exceptions.

Prior to worlds I got a brand new Freak Black. I put about 200 hacks on it just so it was completely brand new with nothing but 44/400. The bat tested at 225. I'd imagine the person who is actually swinging the bat would have something to do with how long a bat can be swung prior to failing compression as well.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I'd say so. Just like it seems who and where they are testing matters.

Seen some fail one weekend and pass a next weekend.

Prior to worlds I got a brand new Freak Black. I put about 200 hacks on it just so it was completely brand new with nothing but 44/400. The bat tested at 225. I'd imagine the person who is actually swinging the bat would have something to do with how long a bat can be swung prior to failing compression as well.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I'd say so. Just like it seems who and where they are testing matters.

Seen some fail one weekend and pass a next weekend.

Absolutely. Crazy how many varibles there are with the testers. I watched a bat fail, the guy pulled the bat out and put it right back in the same postion and pass. It tested about 210 the first time and 230 the 2nd time.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Oh believe me I know, I've basically seen the same as well as other crazy variables.

Absolutely. Crazy how many varibles there are with the testers. I watched a bat fail, the guy pulled the bat out and put it right back in the same postion and pass. It tested about 210 the first time and 230 the 2nd time.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
Finally got some time to put some hits on my warranty return 27 oz. This bat came with a pebble rattle from Miken. (Maybe UPS bp'd it before they dropped it off)

First 10 hits were making me grin. After about 50 hits the sound changed and its a Gamer from here on out. I used a mix of asa 44 375 and softball nation 44 400 with temps in the 70's.

I dont know if i should buy another 12 or wait for the new 12 in December. I own a dc 41 (white with little knob), 4tf (blue with white handle), and a freak black asa as well. I like the freak 12 the best. Guess the maxload fits my swing the best.

Ballisttic

Star Player
RIP my freak 12 is on its way back to miken for a return had between 800-1000 swings of mostly 44-375s in 90-100 degree weather.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
Its was a bazooka from swing 300 on and definitely ripe when it popped.

I didn't have the same luck. I didn't even like my first 12 until it had about 600 swings on it. Took close to 1000 before it was even on par with my blacks, 4TF's, or DC's. Its pretty damn good now though.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
Mine has around 250 cuts and recently passed compression at Sin City. Knob is coming loose though. Great bat.

Most of my mikens from this year have a little wobble in the knobs. I suspect the wobble in the knob comes from dropping the bat on the ground so many times that the pin which secures the knob loosens up a tiny bit.

Love this bat as well. I wonder if the freak 30 will be as good if not better?

T Ripp

<font color="gray">GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER</font>
My Freak 12 has roughly 1200 hits on it and spent most of the year hitting 52/275 thanks to NSA... Had a lil Utrip in there hitting Classic M's but this thing is just Fiya!!! Can't wait I'll be getting a Freak 30 next year and still have a back up Freak 12.

2spdturbo

Addicted to Softballfans
My Freak12 is game only now with a small rattle. The bat has a nice crack'in sound with handle or barrel flexing. normally I hate when a bat flex's. I might have to pick up another. There are no cracks or spiralling.

Last edited:

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
Most of my mikens from this year have a little wobble in the knobs. I suspect the wobble in the knob comes from dropping the bat on the ground so many times that the pin which secures the knob loosens up a tiny bit.

Love this bat as well. I wonder if the freak 30 will be as good if not better?

There was a thread about this on this site. I know my Freak12 knob wiggles a little and its due to how the knob is attached to the handle. There is a hollow pin that holds the two together. If you take your grip off you should be able to see it. I'm guessing after some use the pin gets a little loose and the knob starts to wiggle. Doesn't affect the performance that I have noticed.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
How far off sticker weight have some of your Freak 12's been? I just picked up a 27oz today and put it on the scale. In the wrapper, it came in at 27.8oz. Add a grip n rip to it and now I have a 28.5oz bat! My DC41 RI came in at 27.1oz and it feels heavier than the Freak 12.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
My 27 weighs 26.8

A full ounce variation from yours to mine. Crazy! The sticker weight is almost pointless.

I just noticed you list your bats in your signature by their actual weight, interesting idea!

Without a GNR and stock grip on each of my bats:
DC41 - 27.1oz
Freak 12 - 27.8oz
Ressy Legit - 27.0oz

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
Crazy how all the sudden where I'm from the Freak 12's are the thing to have all the sudden. Granted I've known since the 12's came out that they were legit sticks, just surprised me it took so long to be the "thing to have" here locally.

zman025

Addicted to Softballfans
I was out in York ,Pa this past weekend and most teams were swinging them . I had one when they first came out in put 200 hits on it maybe more still had the ping sound . These had a solid crack sound are the 2016 freak any different

zman025

Addicted to Softballfans
Just got A NIW 28 oz freak 12 scale weight without og grip and just a little bit of tape 27.7

zman025

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a 27 it did seem to swing light for me , I got rid of it way to soon . The 28 feels great to me .