Front Squats

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I started doing these as part of Cresseys Maximum Strength program. First time ever doing them and making great gains so far. I use a crossover grip, but I read somewhere that this grip throws your shoulders out of alignment and can cause issues further down your body. Just wanted to get some opinions on crossover grip vs clean grip.

Thanks

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I started doing these as part of Cresseys Maximum Strength program. First time ever doing them and making great gains so far. I use a crossover grip, but I read somewhere that this grip throws your shoulders out of alignment and can cause issues further down your body. Just wanted to get some opinions on crossover grip vs clean grip.

Thanks
I've done this with the cross grip for years and I haven't noticed any issues. The clean grip takes a ton of flexibility to pull off correctly. Cressey is considered an expert with shoulder injury prevention so I doubt he would have front squats as a staple of his programs if they were harmful.

wcoastsoftball

I strongly recommend working on the clean grip. It takes time, and the wrist ROM will come eventually. Alternate sets of crossover and clean, or start light weight warmups with the clean, then the heavier with crossover until you get the hang of it.

NE Hitman

Addicted to Softballfans
i recommend you prep your wrists/forearms/hands pre workout. When I know i'm going to do them that night I start pulling back my fingers and stretching those ligaments all day. Theres a big difference in my flexibility and comfort between when i do and when i don't.

Hittdogg17

The Rookie
great for quads!

these are great for really focusing on the quads, esp down above the knee. back squats seem to make my butt grow and my upper quads and made my thighs shaped like carrots. thicker at the top and thinner towards the knee. front squats really thickened up the quads closer to the knee. i used to put a little board(about 3/8") under my heels making it easier to get just below paralell and on the heavy sets would use a "loose" knee wrap cause this exercise done in this fashion puts alot of stress on the knees esp since i was doing +4 plates for 15 reps. the knee wraps give you a little "spring" at the bottom but i slowed the movement down to help reduce the "cheat" and would go just below paralell, instead of going balls deep and bouncing out of the hole. never locking out at the top, it was like one constant movement til failure, when i would squeezeout 2-3 more reps, with a good spotter in a safety rack. a good spotter makes you feel confident to really push those extra reps, those are the ones that seperate the men from the boys. always keeping my reps above 10 and shooting for as many as possible. sometimes when i didnt have alot of time or didnt want to really workout we would do a one set squat workout. we would do calves and hams for a warm-up and then 1-2 warmup set of squats and then one all out set... but the catch is, your workout partner got to pick the weight and how many reps. didnt matter if you had to stop and rest to get the # of reps or if you could do it all at once, non stop. it was usually not the weight that was the issue it was the # of reps, like 365lbs for 32 reps... if you got 30 before you had to stop then you had to do the last 2 aft rest. then you were done...
hell yeah front squats for bgi quads!!!

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Traded the traditional squats for these a few years ago and won't look back. I use the cross over grip and never had shoulder problems.

An elite multi joint builder in the upper tier of exercises.

Cannot say enough positive things about front squats.