ASA Game time called?

Loubac

Baca
We are away team and down 13-11. ONE out. Second timer is running. We get pitch off and batter hits line drive to 2nd baseman. At this time the clock is at zero. Umpire calls game as 2nd baseman is throwing to 1st to get third out. Runner at 1st was out as well. Should of been 3rd out and we bat again. He said game was over once 2nd caught ball..... With no time, shouldn't it still be live and we get to bat?

LOU

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
If the clock clock was at zero before the third out was actually made, then game over. From what you're saying, it sounds like it was.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
What the hell was dude doing swinging the bat. His teammates should smack some sense into him.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Having the game end during the middle of a play is ridiculous.

Maybe so, but if the clock ran out before the inning was over, stopping it at that point isn't "cheating" anybody out of time or an at-bat. It's already over!

I guess they could have made that one final throw to first base, but the game would still be over.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
What the hell was dude doing swinging the bat. His teammates should smack some sense into him.

I worked a fastpitch tournament this weekend and thought the same thing in one of my games.

Home team has a seven run lead and is at-bat. Only about three minutes left on the clock.

First batter takes one pitch, then grounds back to the pitcher. One out, about two minutes left. The next two batters hit the first pitch and both ground out! Inning ends with about 30 seconds left, so we have to play another inning.

I'm thinking, "Dude, tell your batters to take a few pitches!". Instead, they gave the other team another chance to win it. They didn't...but they might have! Not a very good example of "clock management".

Last edited:

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
Maybe so, but if the clock ran out before the inning was over, stopping it at that point isn't "cheating" anybody out of time or an at-bat. It's already over!

I guess they could have made that one final throw to first base, but the game would still be over.

Yeah, I was just making a comment on the rule in general. If the pitch is released with time on the clock, the game shouldn't end until the play is over. Like in football - if you snap the ball before the clock hits zero, the play counts.

What would happen if the ball was hit over the fence as time expired? If it doesn't cross the fence line when time expires, it's not a HR?

ureout

The Veteran
I was always told if the pitch is made before time runs out and the batter hits the pitch then the play continues....therefore the defense turned a double play....3 outs....play another inning

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I worked a fastpitch tournament this weekend and thought the same thing in one of my games.

Home team has a seven run lead and is at-bat. Only about two three minutes left on the clock.

First batter takes one pitch, then grounds back to the pitcher. One out, about two minutes left. The next two batters hit the first pitch and both ground out! Inning ends with about 30 seconds left, so we have to play another inning.

I'm thinking, "Dude, tell your batters to take a few pitches!". Instead, they gave the other team another chance to win it. They didn't...but they might have! Not a very good example of "clock management".

These are my favorites or if you take a couple pitches, foul one off and the other team is bitching "win the game the right way." So winning by scoring more runs in the time given is not the right way to win? As soon as they stopped making games timed people will stop using strategy for slowing down or speeding up the game.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I was just making a comment on the rule in general. If the pitch is released with time on the clock, the game shouldn't end until the play is over. Like in football - if you snap the ball before the clock hits zero, the play counts.

What would happen if the ball was hit over the fence as time expired? If it doesn't cross the fence line when time expires, it's not a HR?

The only time limits in the rule book are "finish the inning". In that case, all that matters is which comes first; either the third out or the home run.

If you're playing with a "drop dead" time limit, the game ending procedure is whatever the league or tourney says it is. I've seen some that end it right when the clock hits zero, no matter what, and I've seen some that would let the play continue, like in your football analogy. And I've seen a few that don't bother to specify one way or the other and it's caused a huge ****-storm when the clock ran out!

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I was always told if the pitch is made before time runs out and the batter hits the pitch then the play continues....therefore the defense turned a double play....3 outs....play another inning

Even if you let the play continue, when the third out is made you look at the clock and it reads zero you wouldn't have another inning to be played.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Around here when we play "drop dead", it's "finish the batter". I've had to interpret that as "let all play complete" as we had a batter-runner retired at first (batter is finished) but a runner attempting to score from third.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Game ober

We are away team and down 13-11. ONE out. Second timer is running. We get pitch off and batter hits line drive to 2nd baseman. At this time the clock is at zero. Umpire calls game as 2nd baseman is throwing to 1st to get third out. Runner at 1st was out as well. Should of been 3rd out and we bat again. He said game was over once 2nd caught ball..... With no time, shouldn't it still be live and we get to bat?

LOU

If time expired prior to the final out being made then the game is over.

sjury

The Old Man
Even if you let the play continue, when the third out is made you look at the clock and it reads zero you wouldn't have another inning to be played.

If time expired prior to the final out being made then the game is over.

This right here.

Final out is made you look at the clock, if any time is left you play on, and if the clock reads zero, game over. Around here we have to finish the inning, unless the home team is winning. If the game is a tie, then one inning is played to try and break the tie, then the game is over, ends with a win or two teams tied.

Loubac

Baca
WoW Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like game was over. Id like to think its over when time is called. All good.

rmeman

Addicted to Softballfans
With the hope team winning once the clock is done its over. I guess he could have called time and then said ball game. But the out come is the same

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Playing with a clock is ridiculous. Then again, if it wasn't for the players and coaches, there would be no reason to have a clock.

^^^ Agree it's ridiculous, baseball and softball are made to be played to a certain number of outs, period.

In our local men's and coed league, we play 6 inning double-headers every week of the season, and it can get dark early here near the end of summer. We have registered umps in men's, and we self-ump in coed, and rarely have trouble getting both games in. What the hell are guys doing to run out of time playing a game of slowpitch softball? This is a completely foreign concept to me, I've never even seen a timed game.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I figure I lose about ten minutes a game from guys putzing around at the plate, doing their little Nomar dances before stepping into the box or having to be reminded multiple times to put the beer down and come hit. Even worse when the pitchers decide to shift the outfielders for every batter.