General question - artwork?

KaoticShortstop

When you pay $1700 for uniforms, pay a $125 artwork fee.... is it wrong to be baffled when someone says "we can't add those logos because we can't find them in AI format"

Is that not the whole purpose of an artwork fee!

Pdpwally

Coach
upcharging.... how bout this. team paid for uni's plus art fee last year, this year re-ordered some more for new team members and asked for a vector of the logo at the time the order was entered and was told "its your logo but we own the artwork". sublimation and uniform hustle is where its at.

KaoticShortstop

I am confused.... I am a returning customer, they do the mock ups, I show them what the logo of our sponsors looks like, we pay for the uniforms IN FULL and pay the artwork fee then am told "we cant do those logos they aren't in AI". You are an artist, you charged me an artwork fee... PUT THEM IN AI!

I work for a local print shop, w design custom crap all day long. Thugs dudes come in with drawings on napkins and we turn it into AI format and make them a hoddie.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
When you pay $1700 for uniforms, pay a $125 artwork fee.... is it wrong to be baffled when someone says "we can't add those logos because we can't find them in AI format"

Is that not the whole purpose of an artwork fee!

In my experience, the $125 is not just for artwork, but for the building of the order as well. I know I try my hardest to recreate the logos wanted, unless they are copyrighted, but not EVERY graphic is easy to recreate. It is the artist job to design as close to what you want without breaking any laws or ethics.

Again, this is my opinion and experience. Other designers may not see things as I do.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
It's a weird subject...if you send a crappy jpeg to someone even the best artists can't get it to look good in vector...the artwork fee guys charge is for taking vector art and making it look good on your apparel but that's because they use what's available...if you send even a good artist a crappy picture he can make it vector but it's not gonna be close to using something that's vector art already...it all depends on the quality of the art you send the artist...

KaoticShortstop

And the company doing the uniforms can not re create the logos? Since ya know you spent close to $2000 with them and paid for a fee called "artwork fee"

KaoticShortstop

The below logo is one I was told that they could not find in AI format. I mean for $2000 and a $125 artwork fee I am thinking you can create that correct. Which I did all in about 5 minutes and sent to them.

pizzatransit_zps982792c7.jpg

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
And the company doing the uniforms can not re create the logos? Since ya know you spent close to $2000 with them and paid for a fee called "artwork fee"

Like I said, the $125 is not jut for actual art making. Building or setting up the order is time consuming. Each size has to be built and sometimes every jersey. For $125 I would expect to design a jersey with a logo and numbers and names and use any provided logos if possible, but to take a jpeg and recreate it to a EPS file would be extra if it wasn't an easy job.....Time is money and making a jpeg look good as a vector is not always easy and most times is very time consuming.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
The below logo is one I was told that they could not find in AI format. I mean for $2000 and a $125 artwork fee I am thinking you can create that correct. Which I did all in about 5 minutes and sent to them.

I could have that done in 5 minutes. That's an easy one.

KaoticShortstop

If these are the two "other" logos that you want, then yes I would do even if you were a first time customer. Those seem pretty easy.

Thanks, just want to make sure I am not out of line for asking them to be done.

I even said "Do something close" as long as the name is on the jersey.

The pizza transit one kinda blew my mind though

Jimmy34

Board Prick

That's ridiculously simple to recreate in vector...

Like I said, the $125 is not jut for actual art making. Building or setting up the order is time consuming. Each size has to be built and sometimes every jersey. For $125 I would expect to design a jersey with a logo and numbers and names and use any provided logos if possible, but to take a jpeg and recreate it to a EPS file would be extra if it wasn't an easy job.....Time is money and making a jpeg look good as a vector is not always easy and most times is very time consuming.

Time is money but sometimes you just do what you gotta do to make the customer happy...

I could have that done in 5 minutes. That's an easy one.
If you were being lazy 5 min...;)

That is my point.

This is the other one...

daisey_zps3f0d2b2c.jpg

Smaller jpeg mans harder usually...hard but not impossible...

No..I am saying we pay a $125 artwork fee... these are the logos I am being told "can't be done because we can't find them in AI format".

For $125 I'd hand draw it and make it purty...

Doable, but a little more difficult. And by difficult I mean time consuming.

But you would do it for a customer because you care...

But for a returning customer, paying $2000 for uniforms again. I think youd do it.

ALL DAY LONG!!!

If these are the two "other" logos that you want, then yes I would do even if you were a first time customer. Those seem pretty easy.

You are 100% correct...

Thanks, just want to make sure I am not out of line for asking them to be done.

I even said "Do something close" as long as the name is on the jersey.

The pizza transit one kinda blew my mind though

You have a legit gripe...

Carolina_454

The Veteran
Oakleydude is hands down the nicest and best artist I have ever dealt with.......... He makes my customers ideas come to life as uniforms

Say What?! That's Crazy!

That's ridiculously simple to recreate in vector...

Time is money but sometimes you just do what you gotta do to make the customer happy...

If you were being lazy 5 min...;)

Smaller jpeg mans harder usually...hard but not impossible...

For $125 I'd hand draw it and make it purty...

But you would do it for a customer because you care...

ALL DAY LONG!!!

You are 100% correct...

You have a legit gripe...

Totally Legit Gripe!!!! I would be hella mad, but that's probably because this is what I do for a job. Here's a screenshot of how easy this is done in 5 mins.

pizzatransit.jpg

Jimmy34

Board Prick
Totally Legit Gripe!!!! I would be hella mad, but that's probably because this is what I do for a job. Here's a screenshot of how easy this is done in 5 mins.

pizzatransit.jpg

Awesome example, great job...

And the "slight variation" makes the logo BETTER!!!

KaoticShortstop

Well what companies are you guys with? I am open to changes.

Also I did the pizza logo in 3 minutes. Sent it to him and said "here ya go...in AI"

I think it all really comes down to your personal preference and how you feel about someone and they way they operate. As far as all these companies there are great and bad choices. Get to know somebody if you have a local place, check out their operation and ask for details. It's always in the details when it comes to time frame, costs and so on. I just appreciate those who really do enjoy creating a good product that teams will be proud of. Glad you whipped up the logo for him, it's just a pain in the ass for people to drag things on. I have been in situations of waiting 4 months to some business getting it crazy fast. I treat uniform companies like tattoo artists.. I wanna know if they are legit, before even getting some info. Price and turnaround are thrown around way too much... everybody wants the cheapest but isn't willing to pay for the best.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Art is a skill...a skill I don't have...a skill that somebody usually went to school to improve upon.

I see guys comment "this **** should be easy" then why don't you do it yourself if it's so easy.

Art is important and understanding how your art will translate to a printed product is yet another skill set that is worth money. To many places on here have *****d out their art down to nothing and each time they make less and less money.

We tell people everyday we need art in ai/vector format or we will charge to re-create the logo. The price ranges from $50-$150 and the above would have been $50 from us.

Would we have done it with somebody being a repeat customer paying for $2000 grand in uni's, more than likely.

KaoticShortstop

Yeah I understand, my frustration is that the option wasn't even given.

"We can't do that because we cant find it in AI format" was the response given.

They did print them up and overnight me a sample which I approved so it turned out well.

If is frustrating though that for the 2nd year in a row the mock ups are not what we asked for as far as colors go. The first year it was not even close, this year we asked for graphite pants and faded colors and ended up with black in the mock up.

That can all be worked out. I emailed on Thursday asking what our towels, hats, and t-shirts will look like and never got a response back so we will see how fast this goes.

gunt_3

Addicted to Softballfans
we piece out our team uniforms. we get hats from dome hats. then just piece out our jerseys. dome hats doesnt charge art work. there is jersey companies that you can negotiate the art work. but to your point if you pay for art work then it should be possible or you shouldnt pay for art work. if that makes sense