Glove size

joeyh1991

Coach
Iv always used 12”-12.5” gloves. I see a lot of conference guys using huge 13.5 14” gloves. 12.5 seems pretty big “to me”. When I tried a 13.5 it swallowed the ball and what not but just seems huge. Obviously the advantage is haveing a huge pocket. What’s your take on catching a softball with such a big glove. Likes dislikes advantages? Just curious to get some opinions going on what people think and why.

blakcherry329

Yeah, I traded a bat for a Dudley 15" glove. That **** was ginormous! I couldn't get used to it. So I traded it for a 14" Vinci. Still feels too big, but I'm getting used to it. lol I have a 13" Spaulding and a 13.25" Rawlings, both old school. They feel much more comfortable to me.

joeyh1991

Coach
Yeah I’m just curious if there is that much of an advantage, because I feel No matter what the sweet spot in the glove is in the same spot as far as where you “want” to catch the ball. But then again obviously if you see conference guys using a 14 then there must be something to it or they would all be using their baseball gloves.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Yeah I’m just curious if there is that much of an advantage, because I feel No matter what the sweet spot in the glove is in the same spot as far as where you “want” to catch the ball. But then again obviously if you see conference guys using a 14 then there must be something to it or they would all be using their baseball gloves.

A couple of things to keep in mind; conference players are routinely dealing with 100mph+ exit speeds. They need some margin for error and they use the webbing more, otherwise they'd have broken hands by the end of a tourney. Also, a lot of those boys are absolute gorillas and 14" gloves aren't that big on their meat-paws.

das028

A couple of things to keep in mind; conference players are routinely dealing with 100mph+ exit speeds. They need some margin for error and they use the webbing more, otherwise they'd have broken hands by the end of a tourney. Also, a lot of those boys are absolute gorillas and 14" gloves aren't that big on their meat-paws.

I always assumed it had to do with sponsorship. I figured they probably got their gear for free or at a huge discount

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I always assumed it had to do with sponsorship. I figured they probably got their gear for free or at a huge discount

Well yeah, Easton-sponsored teams have to use Easton gloves for example. But all softball manufacturers that produce gloves have 12.75" models and the conference players are still choosing bigger ones.

das028

Maybe they are
Well yeah, Easton-sponsored teams have to use Easton gloves for example. But all softball manufacturers that produce gloves have 12.75" models and the conference players are still choosing bigger ones.
Maybe they are just giving them softball specific models to choose from?

Hagen49

Personally I like my 14" glove. I play a lot of 1st base so having more pocket helps keep the ball off my palm when my SS rips the ball at me. I did use the same glove several years ago when I was playing more left and SS too, and never had any issues.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I play a lot of first and tried a 14 and the ball would always come out at the end on some scoops, just too long, went back to my first base mitt which was a Wilson 12-12.5 worked well, went to an Elo and 1799 and the 1799 12.75 works well, wide pocket good for of and first, and only use the elo in the of, seems too narrow and long for me at first, but great for of, it all depends on where you are playing, you prefer a 12-12.5 and make the plays, then Keep using them

NYC

Swag on 100.
For softball 12.25 to 12.75. But I always liked a small glove for baseball as well.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
when i started playing, i was using a 12.75 hardball glove, didn't know any different, and it seemed to work fine. I played mostly outfield at the time, and i eventually looked into buying a softball specific glove. I ended up with a 14" and i also started playing some SS. so i decided i would use the 14" in the outfield and the smaller one in the infield. once i broke in the big glove though, it really had no downside. there was no reason for me to not use it in the infield, and 5 or so years later, wearing the 12.75 feels like playing bare-handed. maybe a 12.75 hardball glove is smaller than a softball version, but mine can't even close around a softball and i always wore it with two fingers in the pinky slot to make the pocket bigger.

i understand it's all going to be preference, but as long as it's a decent glove that isn't super floppy, i just don't think there's any downside to having a couple extra inches. the way i see it, there's been dozens of plays where i would have missed the ball with a smaller glove, and the 'get's lost in the pocket' thing only happens if you can't reach the ball. so, literally every time the ball has been lost in the pocket, i would have straight up missed it(well likely tipped it and knocked it away) with a smaller glove. when the ball is hit near me, i simply play it like i have a small glove, catch it near the palm, and it's just as easy and quick to release.

so for me, there's zero downside to a larger glove. i haven't tried anything bigger than 14" and i'm sure there's a point where it's too much, but i feel anything under 13.5" doesn't really belong on a softball field and only works because the user has adjusted to it, or refuses to adjust to a bigger one. which is ok, you do you, but don't confuse "training yourself to use a small glove" with "small gloves are better". i'd say it takes a lot more skill to use a small glove effectively, which is why i'd recommend the larger one

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I play a lot of first and tried a 14 and the ball would always come out at the end on some scoops, just too long, went back to my first base

I'm contrary to this....I'm a bigger guy with bigger hands and find the 14 and deep pocket nessasary for scoops..my 14 just engulfs the ball...my guys sometimes can't reach me and throw hard...I've played bb forever and first base and catching is all I know....I also get alot of plays at the plate...alot...guys throwing guys out from outfield and putting a tag on a guy or him sliding into you a huge deep pocket I cannot live without....I even get some a holes that will take the out to not slide and bump into you....
I don't need a quick release for anything....but I get alot of very hard hit balls coming at me and its what works for u...just catch the da** ball lol

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...maybe a 12.75 hardball glove is smaller than a softball version, but mine can't even close around a softball and i always wore it with two fingers in the pinky slot to make the pocket bigger...

This is an important point; sometimes you need to pay less attention to the size stamped on the glove and more attention to how it plays.

I game a Wilson ELOBB (12.75" baseball glove) and it absolutely swallows a 12" softball. I also have a Slugger Evolution 12" glove and it's broken-in deep and bowl-shaped. It can also close around a softball.

On the other hand, I've handled 13"+ softball gloves that wouldn't close fully around a ball. They were long and narrow with long, skinny fingers.

das028

when i started playing, i was using a 12.75 hardball glove, didn't know any different, and it seemed to work fine. I played mostly outfield at the time, and i eventually looked into buying a softball specific glove. I ended up with a 14" and i also started playing some SS. so i decided i would use the 14" in the outfield and the smaller one in the infield. once i broke in the big glove though, it really had no downside. there was no reason for me to not use it in the infield, and 5 or so years later, wearing the 12.75 feels like playing bare-handed. maybe a 12.75 hardball glove is smaller than a softball version, but mine can't even close around a softball and i always wore it with two fingers in the pinky slot to make the pocket bigger.

i understand it's all going to be preference, but as long as it's a decent glove that isn't super floppy, i just don't think there's any downside to having a couple extra inches. the way i see it, there's been dozens of plays where i would have missed the ball with a smaller glove, and the 'get's lost in the pocket' thing only happens if you can't reach the ball. so, literally every time the ball has been lost in the pocket, i would have straight up missed it(well likely tipped it and knocked it away) with a smaller glove. when the ball is hit near me, i simply play it like i have a small glove, catch it near the palm, and it's just as easy and quick to release.

so for me, there's zero downside to a larger glove. i haven't tried anything bigger than 14" and i'm sure there's a point where it's too much, but i feel anything under 13.5" doesn't really belong on a softball field and only works because the user has adjusted to it, or refuses to adjust to a bigger one. which is ok, you do you, but don't confuse "training yourself to use a small glove" with "small gloves are better". i'd say it takes a lot more skill to use a small glove effectively, which is why i'd recommend the larger one
Agreed. I even purchased a new 1799, with the intention of using a better "all around" glove. I just could not get used to it.

Country469

The bigger the better. If your softball glove size to ball ratio was equal to that used in baseball you'd be using like 17" glove. If you cant find a 12" orb during transfer, your hands suck, get better. I see guys have the ball squirt outa that glove all the time, rarely does transfer matter.

AntonChigurh

Personal preference. I use a 12 for infield and 12.5 in the outfield. That being said, if I pitched or played conference I’d use a much larger glove, for self defense if nothing else.

bronx90210

Addicted to Softballfans
Im 6ft 3 270lbs so speed is not my strength. Playing the outfield i use a 14" Vinci glove an i love it. I have to use a 14 in glove it makes the plays alot easier. If i get my glove on it i catch it but when i dive the ball pops out 70% of the glove. The low line drives and over the head catches are simple with that big glove and deep pocket. I bought a Dudley 15" glove. That was ginormous! I couldn't get used to it. It was very are to use i sold that with in a month. Its a matter of preference. Sole guys love big gloves, but most infielders love gloves the same size as their hands. Try them both it wont take you long to decide which one you will use.

basilray

I've used 14" gloves for a while now, largely because I liked the extra girth for protection when I pitch. It's prolly all mental, but I've now become accustomed to it, and prolly couldn't use anything much smaller.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
A couple of things to keep in mind; conference players are routinely dealing with 100mph+ exit speeds. They need some margin for error and they use the webbing more, otherwise they'd have broken hands by the end of a tourney.

End of thread, this is the answer. The balls hit at you in conference events are totally different beasts. They’re slicing or knuckling, but always moving and you can’t afford to catch one in the palm, it’ll end your tournament or at least affect the rest of your at bats.

Even on manufacture sponsored teams you can use whatever size glove you want, they use 13-14”+ gloves for the sole reason that they perform the best at that level.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i use a 13.5" glove for everything but 2nd base. 2nd base i prefer 13" so i feel i can get the ball out a bit better on double plays. i don' always have it and its not that frequent i have a chance at a double play. i only bring that glove to tournaments really.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I use a 12.75" glove everywhere. I use the exact same glove for 2b and CF.

If I played at a higher level and had to face hot shots all game, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 14" glove, but for now the 12.75" works fine.