Green Pop Toss - My Setup & BP

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I was reading about the Green Pop Toss (GPT) in the thread that 'dunkky' posted. It looked like a reasonable product so I decided to buy one and test it out for myself. Here is 'dunkky''s thread:
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/testing-a-new-ver-of-pop-toss-and-bp.1461615)

========================================
I have added details for maintenance in Post#37

In Summary:
It has a Lifetime Warranty that other users have needed and used.

%%%
As of December, 2023 - Just an update here. The company now has raised the price to $159.99 and it has a Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY. There is a shipping charge for replacement parts after the first six months. It also sells spare parts if you want to order them. From their website:

PopToss for Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY

After your first purchase of the Black or Green PopToss pitching machines, PopToss provides all replacement parts due to wear and tear for the first six months, FREE OF CHARGE. The three parts which fall under a lifetime warranty are the air exhaust valves, the Long Yellow Cap, and the Base, less $20 shipping fee. The units are designed to last ten years.

So after the 6-months, the parts are free but there is a $20 shipping charge.

Here's the website of the product (Originally $139 - 2024 price is $159.99) along with one of their images:
https://21stcenturybattingtees.com/product/green-pitching-machine
(dunkky said: If interested, you can get $9 off using the promo code: 0923 - I did - Thanks.)

Green-Tee-sq.png

So, the first thing I did to protect the GPT was take some measurements of the width, length & height when it was angled for pitching. Then I bought a Wallyworld TALL trash can for $10. I made sure it was over 21" high in order to protect the GPT from mis-hit balls. I didn't like the idea of using two buckets.

This can will hold at least 50 balls if you want to fill it to the top. I have 30 balls in there for my practice. I need to drill some holes and add a rope handle to it.

poptosssetup-01.jpg

Next, I tried the GPT on a dirt infield using the included waterbottle weight. It worked, but it was kludgy. I had it at a really low angle and it didn't really stay in place for me when setting it with the bat. I wanted that lower angle for the pitching arc.

Here's the waterbottle harness that is supplied with the GPT. It is a clever idea and it does work. But it was not sufficient for what I wanted.

poptosssetup-08.jpg

I decided I would make a larger wooden base for the GPT that would address what I wanted.

I bought a 10" x 24" shelf from Lowes. It's made of pressboard and covered with a veneer. I have lots of scrap wood so I selected pieces that would create a GPT foot brace (stop) & would, by having an overhanging upper piece, create a foot catch to prevent the GPT from tipping over forward. The weight of the GPT when angled (without my base) definitely requires that waterbottle weight hanging off the back in order to counterbalance all that forward weight. But my base solved that problem without using the waterbottle weight.

I used eyebolts pointing toward the ground because I really wanted to use this base to hit in the grass on a soccer or football field (they're everywhere) rather than on the dirt infield of a ball diamond. Then I taped over the eyebolts to keep any dirt or grass from clogging them. So, when the base is placed on the grass, those eyebolts extend down to add even more stability.

poptosssetup-02.jpg

But I still wanted to keep the GPT itself from moving around on my base. That's what that screw eye is doing at the back of the foot brace.

I added a large, heavy rubberband around the GPT in order to pull it back against the foot brace, keeping it from moving side to side.

I also added some wing nuts to the 1/4" x 20tpi long studs that act as legs. I wanted to be able to set a length and lock it down, knowing it wasn't going to change.

poptosssetup-03.jpg

Now, when you go to place the GPT on the base, you pull the rubberband thru the legs and loop it over the screw eye.

poptosssetup-04.jpg

Then you rotate the GPT into position with the feet firmly against, and trapped under, the foot brace. This creates a super stable platform for placing on the ground. It allows you to set the GPT with your bat, holding it's position without question, time & time again. And it keeps the GPT clean.

poptosssetup-05.jpg

The last element of my bp setup was a large towel, folded to simulate the homeplate & rubber mat. Depending on the association where you play, it can be anything from 17"x34.5" to 24"x36". Make what you need. This gets thrown on the ground at the point the GPT lands the pitches. In this way, you don't have to move the GPT because you can move the towel to where it is pitching. For variation, you can stand up to the mat at different distances (close/away & forward/backward) to simulate preparing for hitting the ball to various locations on the field.

poptosssetup-06.jpg

Now I was ready to get started with my BP. So I set my new base & GPT on the ground. Then I placed the trash can (filled with the balls I needed for practice) in front of it, warding off mis-hits.

poptosssetup-07.jpg

The way I have the GPT set up, the pitching distance is about 24' from the front of the GPT to the center of my towel. The pitch is thrown about 8' high. But since the distance is only 24', the last 10' of the ball travel is very similar to the arc of a 10-12' pitch from the pitching rubber. Of course, you can adjust the angle of the GPT to pitch a higher ball than that, but I found the higher downward angle to be unlike a real pitch if you point the GPT too far up. Also, the higher you angle the GPT, the shorter the distance it throws to the landing point.

I made a video to show the arc that the GPT is capable of pitching for distance. It shows that the first two pitches of the GPT I use to locate the landing point to place my towel (like where the home plate & rubber mat would be located). Then I took my practice hits, a few of which I have on the video.

You need to download the video and run it from your PC - I have no UTube Account.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO.

In my practice sessions, I'm setting up the GPT at one end of the field and then setting up my tee at the other end of the field. That way I'm combining both the GPT & Tee into a more rounded practice session and I don't have to drag the GPT back and forth, nor do that with the balls.

I also have a 5-gallon bucket with a handle that I can collect the balls at the other end - It holds 25 balls. When I'm done (or just starting) I can put the rest of the balls (6-8) plus the stable base, the GPT & the towel into the trash can to carry back and forth to the car.

In Summary:
At $130 (now $160), the Green Pop Toss does provide a reasonable pitch from which to practice your timing & hand-eye coordination. It has a Lifetime Warranty that other users have needed and used. With the base I constructed, I am satisfied that I will get my money's worth of practice out of this device.

Since we are already past the softball season, I won't really get a chance to see results in live practice or scrimmage games until my team gets together in the spring.

As always, you may have different opinions and different needs. If you buy one, post up a thread about how you are using it.

%%%

Last edited:

dunkky

Thank you sir! I like your setup. You won't regret your decision. Video tape your bp session, and find what you are doing wrong. Correct it and do it again. check the stride(long, short really not that important, 85% of power comes from rotational force, torque), hip snap and shoulder rotation, eyes on the ball before impact, extension, etc... To orchestrate all that movement and perfecting it will not be done over a night. I personally put well over 2000 hits easily and it's still in working progress. My weight loss has a lot to do with it too. LOL

Now, some people concern it will mess up the timing. Wrong. More reason to practice with live balls. Simple as that. many thinks first thing that takes in place in swing mechanic is stride. Wrong. it's your eye coordination on the incoming ball. your brain will lead you when to initiate your stride in order for you to execute hip snap in timely manner. you need to bp a lot, so all of that can happen seamlessly, unconsciously, Your eyes and brain should tell you when to stride, not counting 1,2,3 in your head.

Last Utrip pickup games, played a total of 4 games that night, I was destroying them banging the fences left and right swinging purple haze 26oz. I can honestly say, I was swinging better than the days i hit HR in the past.

Two weeks ago, in a senior tourney, I only went like 4 for 10 or 11 in 3 games. All singles. Didn't do too well. My swing wasn't the same. But, if two line drives weren't caught, it could have been 6 for 10 which is not a bad stat in my book for my skill

Bottom line is no more days of 2 for 10 with a bunch of weak grounders and pop ups anymore. My confidence level is different now.
Pop toss is not same as human pitching, but it's the next closest thing IMO.

if you have an issue with spring, o-ring or whatever, Pat will take care of you. Just maintain it properly, you are good to go. The Man is one of the nicest guys I have ever encountered.

Good luck sir and post more videos of your progression. I'll post mine soon. I don't miss a lot now off of pop toss. I kill them like 7 or 8 out of 10. I just need to do the same in live games. It's all mental.. timing is all mental, you are too anxious, etc..

dunkky

by no means, i am a swing expert, but let me provide you my feedback. I think you are attacking the balls too low which results in kinda loop swing. And i think you can use your top hand a little more which will yield more top hand wrist snap action. Cut the ball, your barrel path should be A to B straight line. Have fun. I wish i can go out now, but it's too cold here....

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Cool setup. I haven't done anything to alter mine in terms of the angle it pitches. I figure I get a consistent 12-15' distance and probably 10' height on every pitch.

I'm intrigued about the longer bolts on the back legs. I may have to try that to lower the pitching trajectory a bit.

I'm several thousand swings into my Pop Toss, and I've had no structural or mechanical problems with it. My advice is to take it apart and clean/oil it every few hundred swings. You'll be surprised how much grime builds up inside over time.

For what I paid (2 years ago now) I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth. The Pop Toss is great when you want to hit a pitched ball in a solitary environment. I find that I focus well when I'm out there using it. Obviously the Pop Toss doesn't perfectly replicate a real pitched ball, but I find it more than adequate.

I mostly use .52 300 or C+ balls, but I'll occasionally use other random harder stuff. It seems to pitch all balls fairly equally.

I'm glad to hear this company has great customer service. I haven't had any issues with my Pop Toss yet, but in the event I do it's nice to hear they'll do something about it.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for a great in depth review. Nice job on making the base. Great job. Was wondering if using different core balls effect the distance pitched, as i enjoy hitting 40 and 44 core balls more than our league 52's.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you sir!
Thanks for YOUR video. It gave me confidence in the product. I hope my info supports and adds to what you have posted about the Green Pop Toss (GPT).

Since this is one of my first sessions with the GPT, I'm still not comfortable with that shorter pitching distance and it is forcing me to compact my overall swing process. When I hit off the tee, I use a lot more time (relatively) in winding & unwinding to meet the ball.

The shorter time (more compact, explosive) swing is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I'm still working on to get comfortable with.

Cool setup.
I wanted the final part of the throw to come in to the plate near what a real pitch would do. Of course, you can move up closer to the GPT to simulate a higher level pitch. In this video, I was standing at a point to simulate a lot of short pitches, which we often get in our league.

Those long rear legs came that way with the GPT. I suspect they have changed the design over the years and your model may not have that - They are all thread rods (1/4-20) with rubber feet. You can simpy use long bolts from the hardware store. When you tilt the GPT forward, you are definitely going to need something to hold that rear end down or it will tip over. It's also a more horizontal push when setting the plunger with your bat, which is why I wanted something more stable for a base. The model I received came with a rubber harness that mounts to those rear legs & can hold 3 water bottles to provide the rear end weight.

I added a picture of the waterbottle harness into my Post#1.

I think the quality of the plastic is pretty good. The air valves seem to have been plastic in the past but are now brass.

I was using a mix of 52/300 & 44/375 balls. As you say, there seemed to be very little variation in the pitch. Since the GPT is striking the ball with a cushioned bumper and only throwing it 25 feet I wouldn't expect a lot of variation. But they say to be sure to put a smooth portion of the ball surface (between the seams) facing the plunger to make sure it makes solid, repeatable contact on the pitch. Not doing that does make the pitch somewhat vary from a repeatable location. If you are pop tossing the ball more straight up, that would also not have as much variation as pitching more horizontal.

Thanks for a great in depth review.
I wanted to show a side view in the video of the pitch to give guys an idea of what kind of pitch it can do (and not so much a matter of looking at my hitting). Since it is adjustable, you can set it to pitch more vertical (like the older pop toss idea) or lean it forward as I have for a more horizontal pitch, or pick something in between.

I hate buying a product without some decent evaluation of what it can and cannot do. And I am a tinkerer, so modifying something to work the way I want is always on the table.

I hope others can make an informed decision by seeing the GPT in action.

%%%

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
So has/does anyone actually set theirs up on a infield/diamond.. personally I'd want too set it up on one to gauge how far and where within fair/foul lines are. i see most vids of guys using these on grass.. also, idk if i want too spend $100+ on something that has too be manufactured/modified so that it stays in plays and or throws pitches somewhat/as close too what a pitch is supposed to look like

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
So has/does anyone actually set theirs up on a infield/diamond

I understand your point. I tried it on a dirt diamond - It did work with the waterbottle weight - It certainly could be used that way.

But very few products are perfect for EVERY option and the lower angle creates some additional issues. Most machines that can pitch an actual equivalent to a slow pitch from the mound are going to be near $1000 and require electricity. Anything costing less than that is going to have some compromises to reduce that pricing.

If using the GPT and standing at a fixed homeplate, you then have to move the GPT around to match where you want the ball to fall. This would be true for any pitching product. And when you reload the plunger, you need to make sure you don't move the position. That is easier to accomplish with a more vertical stance of the GPT with a more vertical, shorter distance, pitch.

But I'm picky about what I wanted - If you want the same, you'll need to do something to get the extra stability I was wanting. It cost me a few extra dollars to make what I wanted for a base and I'm happy. It required no actual modification of the product.

As for simulating a ball field, you could certainly set out orange soccer cones to define your field or to have specific target zones to hit.

The lack of batteries or electricity is very nice. The unit is sturdy plastic and I expect good service from it.

As with anything else, only you can decide if you think it is worth your money and effort. Hopefully, the information between these two threads (and user comments to come) will be sufficient for you (and others) to make an informed decision.

I think it was worth it, even with its limitations.

%%%

Last edited:

dunkky

it's nice to hear they'll do something about it.
Oh yeah, you would be surprised. You are set for the lifetime.

Since this is one of my first sessions with the GPT, I'm still not comfortable with that shorter pitching distance and it is forcing me to compact my overall swing process. When I hit off the tee, I use a lot more time (relatively) in winding & unwinding to meet the ball.

i hear you. I don't know if you saw my first outing. I went through the same struggle. but will adapt it at no time. That's why I emphasized eye coordination. That way, at any distance, any arc, any speed, you will have your decent stride. i don't play a lot but I get pickup games from utrip, asa, seniors... different speed, different arc, etc..

So has/does anyone actually set theirs up on a infield/diamond
Yeap, it will work no problem. i've tested on multiple time on both hard ground and grass. It will work fine out of box. I tested it with one bottle, but if you put 3, then it will improve the stability even more. But if you wanna improve even more like ImminentDanger or me, you can easily do that. But based on my experience, the difference is not that significant. Check out my last video, i am using a single bottle, works great as it is.

dunkky

Imminantdanger,

get a wheeled cart like the one i am using. it's very useful.
1. carrying all your props easier from your car to the field and vice versa.
2. retrieving your balls is easier. ( i retrieve about 100 balls.. LOL), I group the balls in multiple spots and take my wagon and get it done.
3, you don't need that bucket, just put the wagon in front of poptoss.

I do a lot bps, so it makes sense for me to make the whole operation as easy as possible. Just a thought.

dunkky

This was filmed about 2 months ago. my mechanic has changed a little since then. But compared to how i swung pre-poss, my mechanic is night and day and so is consistency as well. i filmed it sideway, so i can see what the hack am i doing wrong or right.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Thanks for a great in depth review. Nice job on making the base. Great job. Was wondering if using different core balls effect the distance pitched, as i enjoy hitting 40 and 44 core balls more than our league 52's.

I feel like classic Ms pitch the worst (shortest), and .52s pitch the best (furthest with the Pop Toss. I attribute that to the fact that .52s have bounce to them and classic Ms don't.

If you have a mixed bag of balls, you'll notice that certain balls continually pitch further than others.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
So has/does anyone actually set theirs up on a infield/diamond.. personally I'd want too set it up on one to gauge how far and where within fair/foul lines are. i see most vids of guys using these on grass.. also, idk if i want too spend $100+ on something that has too be manufactured/modified so that it stays in plays and or throws pitches somewhat/as close too what a pitch is supposed to look like

I set my Pop Toss on a field all the time. It sits about 15' in front of home plate directly in line with the pitcher's mound.

The Pop Toss is initially a little expensive, but it works well. I've had literally zero trouble with mine since I got it 2 years ago.

Once you get the hang of it you figure out where/how to set it up to get accurate pitches easily.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
As a follow-on to the actual pop toss, I decided to put together a GIF of the importance of Hip Rotation. A lot of the new guys need to understand this concept.

It's only about Hip Rotation - so no information about the actual swing process.

And while you can practice Hip Rotation with a tee (and should) you will benefit from the Pop Toss in practicing this concept.

sbf-001-hiprotation.gif

%%%

Last edited:

dunkky

Nice. I went out last night and tried to put more focus on my hip rotation as well. I think posture is also important. If your upper body is tilted a little bit, i found out, i can rotate my hips more effectively.

dunkky

ImminentDanger, how things going? Any update on your progress? if your spring don't perform or other stuffs, don't hesitate to contact Pat, he will fix you up good.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Dont mean to hijack a thread, but i was wondering if any of you have had any problems with the timing from the air valve. Ive had mine about 3 months, used it numerous times, in the beginning it worked fine, but after cleaning it and oiling it, seemed to effect the timing, even though i never touched the dial. I followed the websites instructions on resetting the valve but it hasnt been consistent since. Any thoughts? Thanks.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Dont mean to hijack a thread, but i was wondering if any of you have had any problems with the timing from the air valve. Ive had mine about 3 months, used it numerous times, in the beginning it worked fine, but after cleaning it and oiling it, seemed to effect the timing, even though i never touched the dial. I followed the websites instructions on resetting the valve but it hasnt been consistent since. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I've cleaned/oiled my Pop Toss countless times. Usually after doing so I'll have to fool with the timing thing a bit to get it where I want it.

For the most part, the timer is consistent, but it'll definitely have days when it doesn't seem to work great.

I guess if I were you I'd just go fidget with the timer dial until you find something you like. The thing works, and it doesn't take much turning to produce noticeable timing differences.

dunkky

reset the timer. that will fix it. turn the knob all the way clockwise. then push the striker. turn the know counter clockwise until it pops. then, repeat. this time, you turn clockwise a little by a little. until you get about 11 to 14 secs.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
reset the timer. that will fix it. turn the knob all the way clockwise. then push the striker. turn the know counter clockwise until it pops. then, repeat. this time, you turn clockwise a little by a little. until you get about 11 to 14 secs.
I did what you mentioned as per the websites instructions. Seemed to help it a bit. Next time out I will have a better idea as the consistency of the timing. Thanks for the replies.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well, the spring on my Pop Toss finally gave out today. I figure it had at least 5000 reps on it. I noticed lately the spring was "getting tired" and seemed to be wearing out. The spring is cracked and bent now.

Anyway, they're sending me a new one.

2.5 years and a ton of use, and the spring is the first/only thing to break.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
had one many years ago...... just needed one with MORE power is all and it would be perfect

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
This past weekend I tried using my pop toss but my air valve was pooched. It would release the ball 4 seconds after setting it up for a pitch. Tried everything to reset it. Nothing worked so I installed a new one. It's supposed to be a simple fix. Not for me unfortunately. New air valve would not thread in properly. Tried for 20 mins to simply screw the replacement in. Found out the threads in the base were so fine and distorted, as it looked like the original valve was forced in during assembly. I had to push extremely hard and turn the valve ever so slightly just so the threads would finally catch. Finally got it installed, seems to be working fine now. It shouldn't have been that difficult.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
You might try dropping a note to the supplier.

I think there was an older plastic version which had issues and the newer ones have a metal version? I'm not sure...

%%%

dunkky

it shouldn't be difficult at all replacing the air valve. but based on my experience, cleaning and oiling the device once a while does the magic. i just water spray inside, let it dry and apply car oil on two areas according to instruction.