Green Pop Toss - My Setup & BP

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
I used the Poptoss with the new valve this past weekend. It worked perfectly for the first 100 balls hit, then it started acting up, either not launching at all, or launching too soon. I had it set for 12 seconds which works for me getting set in the box, but after fiddling with the dial, I got frustrated and packed it in for the day. Very frustrating as this is the only obvious flaw with the product. I followed all of the directions for maintenance, cleaning, resetting timer etc. and it worked fine for awhile. I guess I will be emailing them to try and get some more valves. Thanks for listening to my rant.

dunkky

try this bro, wash the whole thing with water spray. dry it completely. Even take out the black rings on the bottom when spraying water. oil the two rings on striker, and that yellow area, u know where. set the timer all the way clockwise. and work from there for your liking. that should work, if it doesn't then, the timer most likely is causing problem, not the air valve. air valve and timer are not complicated device. if you keep poptoss in the car in the summer, it dries off the oil fast, so, oil it as often as you can.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I just changed the valve on my Pop Toss a few days go, and it seems to work fine. The old one finally died, and the thing was popping right after I pushed it down regardless of what I did with the timer. The process literally took less than 5 minutes. I cleaned and oiled it a bit, and the Pop Toss is working fine.

The timing mechanism isn't perfect. I'll usually fiddle with it a bit as I hit.

My spring died a month ago, and I emailed the company and they sent me several replacements. I'm over 2.5 years into the Pop Toss, and it's still functioning well.

For any Pop Toss newbs, my advice is to be patient with it. The Pop Toss won't perfectly mimic a live pitch, and you may find yourself initially frustrated. You'll have to learn how far back to set it up and how to set the timer. Also, make sure it's pointing straight toward the center of the plate. If the pop toss is tilted even an iota either inside or outside you won't get a good pitch. Take the thing apart every once in a while and wipe all the parts clean, and lightly oil them before putting it back together.

dunkky

^^ this. i normally don't even mess with nether valve or timer. maybe timer once a while. just clean and oiling will do the job after a few hundreds of hit.

also, keep in mind, timing is based on your eye coordination, not pitching distance. It's under thrown ball, god sake. a lot of time, many people pitches in shorter distance during bp. if that messes you up your timing in live game, you have bigger problem. i even saw or heard of someone giving an advice of doing the counting in your head... lord... you gotta be kidding... lol

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I'm posting pictures of the inside of the GPT so you can see where to oil and how to adjust it. The GPT website also has a page of Q&A with videos to explain aspects of the product.

https://21stcenturybattingtees.com
Phone: 224.858.4159 Email: [email protected]
The Pop Toss mfr provides a lifetime warranty on all worn or defective parts. You have PopToss for life.
You can easily get 10 years use out of your PopToss with regular maintenance.

poptossfunction-01.jpg

To get to the parts needing oil, you need to disassemble the tubes (2). This is done by unscrewing the short extension tube, which is located in the middle (below the green collar), from the bottom tube. When you have fully unscrewed this part (the top tube stays with it), you will see the internal spring (3). Pull the extension tube & top tube off the spring and inside you will find the ball striker(4).

Now remove the spring (5) from the bottom tube. You need to clean the sides of the vacuum chamber, below the threads (6). You will see the rubber washers at the bottom of the chamber. These can be removed & cleaned as well.

poptossfunction-02.jpg

Once cleaned, you will need to lightly oil the sides of the vacuum chamber (8) with new, clean motor oil. A small amount of oil on your fingers, used to coat the walls, is sufficient. Then replace the black washers in the bottom of the vacuum chamber.

Next, use a silicone lubricant (the mfr calls for Chemplex 862, which is expensive) to coat the two o-rings on the grey ball striker (7).

poptossfunction-03.jpg

When you are done, reverse the process and assemble the GPT (1) as follows: Place the washers, then the spring, into the vacuum chamber of the bottom tube, place the grey ball striker on top of the spring (o-rings at the bottom) and slide the top tube down over the spring. Screw the short extension tube (along with the top tube) onto the bottom tube.

See Pic(2) - Be sure the foam ball shelf is at the low point of the ball cup to prevent the ball from falling off.

================================

Now, on to the Timer device. The brass knob is adjusted to determine how long the plunger remains cocked before it releases the pitched ball. When you press the ball striker down into the GPT with your bat, you are pressing it into the vacuum chamber and expelling the air out thru the exhaust valve. That valve then closes & holds a vacuum in the chamber.

Be careful when pressing the ball striker with your bat. You can damage the exhaust valve if you ram the striker to the bottom too violently. Just press the bat down with a long, consistent force so that it fully reaches the bottom and locks in place.

The Timer device, which is screwed into the side of the GPT near the bottom of the lower tube, is the control for allowing air back into the vacuum chamber. When the vacuum is sufficiently reduced, by getting enough air, the ball striker will be released (unlocked) & the spring will force the striker to fly upwards to strike the ball.

The Timer device has a center hole that allows air to flow into the vacuum chamber at a rate determined by the Timer Knob. When the knob is fully closed (fully turned clockwise), little or no air can enter the chamber. As you open the knob (turning it counter clockwise) the air is allowed into the chamber at a greater & greater rate. This is how you adjust the knob to get 10-12 seconds of delay from the cocking motion to the trigger of the ball striker. If too much air gets in the chamber quickly, the ball will be released TOO SOON - to compensate, close the Timer Knob by turning it slightly clockwise. Try again. Repeat as necessary to find the right spot for 10-12 seconds of delay (or the amount of time you prefer).

poptossfunction-04.jpg

I removed two of the 4 o-rings to show, in this close up of the Timer device, that the internal core of the device has a hex design body that allows air to enter past the knob and flow into the vacuum chamber. I think the o-rings also help to control the rate of the incoming air for small, incremental adjustments.

poptossfunction-05.jpg

If, for some reason, you prefer that the GPT only throws the ball 10-12 feet, instead of throwing it 20-25 feet as it comes from the factory, you can remove the Short Extension Tube. This is located just below the green collar which is on the upper tube. Remove the extension and then screw the top tube into bottom tube until it is fully seated.

To make a smaller adjustment for a shorter distance throw, the Green Collar can be rotated to close over some or all of the holes in the yellow upper tube. Uncovering the holes allows a farther distance throw.

In summary, here are the main points from some of the mfr videos:

Use motor oil on the inner walls of the vacuum chamber (yellow bottom tube).
(Later - this is not recommended - just use the silicone grease)

Use silicone lubricant (Chemplex 862) on the two O rings on the grey ball striker.

Change the air exhaust valve if it goes bad.

Occasionally request a new spring.

If absolutely necessary, SWAP IN A NEW TIMER VALVE (requested from the mfr)
to replace one that isn't working anymore.

More Q&A Information is available here:
https://21stcenturybattingtees.com/poptoss-batting-tee-troubleshooting-and-maintenance

%%%

Last edited:

r8dr_rider

This thing is so cool!!!! Thanks @dunkky!!!! At field rn popping off waiting for some team mates for live BP.

I like how it’s not a perfect pitch each time. If I don’t like it, don’t swing. But is 100X better then a tee. Especially when I’m breaking in my new bat.

dunkky

Thanks bro. you'll never go back to tee.. no reason to. out of ~80 pitches, i only get maybe 3 or 4 that's really out of my reach. whether ball or strike, if it's hittable, you gotta swing hard with good mechanic. I mean my video shows that. not all of them are fat pitch. lol Keep in mind something i learned as e ball player, stride must come naturally based on the reaction of your eye coordination. u do that, you are good to go hit any balls from any distance. like i said, most people do their hitting drills with shorter distance pitch, not regular distance. poptoss yield you enough distance. Looking forward to see some videos bro. lol

r8dr_rider

^my stride sux. I’m an all arm/shoulder swinger that’s gets good liners. Im working on stride and feet because my strength is in my legs. I just turned 40 and still out run grounders to 5 and 6. But I’d rather hit over the fence and not run anymore lol.

dunkky

u don't have to give up one for another, keep that arm/shoulder, just need to incorporate your butt in there more. I don't know about others, it was a very hard concept for me to incorporate and it's still on going process. damn i am itching to go out and hit... my damn elbow is recovering so slow..

r8dr_rider

I’ve used this about 6 times in the last two weeks and love it. I haven’t got a full on set up yet but what I use is working well. I Place the pop toss on the Home Depot bucket lid I have for balls. Then place the bucket of balls in front of the pop toss to protect it. The lid acts as a solid platform and doesn’t allow the pop toss to move too much.
This thing is great with two players, one hitting and one shagging balls.

dunkky

Excellent! i am glad you are happy with it. no reason not too. I just can't think of any logical reason why it wouldn't work for every body... it throws ball, and you hit. there's nothing else to it. arc is there, distance is there... it's much better than self toss, or those lame automatic feeding tossing machine..

for me i like solo. i rather get the balls myself. i need any cardio i can get. also my break time if i wanna hit a few more. of course, if someone wanna practice fielding, that works too. lol

r8dr_rider

This thing has helped me hone my swing. Went back to my old open baseball stance and I’m hitting liners in the 7-8 gap on the regular now. Next I’m gonna aim it outside to work on my oppo.

dunkky

Need to get one ASAP

well, you need to talk to me if you want the most discount. do your research and you will know why. lol

if u gonna wait, don't wait, that's waste of time and money. that's the only thing i regret why i didn't get it sooner.. it has lifetime support.
fixing ur mechanic rewards you big. buying a shiny bat will not reward you as much. at one point, i was batting over .700 in one league, no cheap shot. that's not possible without poptoss. tee wouldn't have got me there for sure.

dunkky

This thing has helped me hone my swing. Went back to my old open baseball stance and I’m hitting liners in the 7-8 gap on the regular now. Next I’m gonna aim it outside to work on my oppo.

same here. wide standing works better for me.. but not too wide.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
My GPT would immediately launch - maybe 3-5 seconds. I couldn't make it delay more than that.

Once before I had to clean grass out of the Air HOLD Valve (not the adjustable valve).

So I tore it down and this is what I found:

GPT-Air-Hold-Valve-Grass.jpg

The grass was sticking in the valve opening preventing it from closing (holding a vacuum). I removed the valve & cleaned all that grass from inside the valve.

I also cleaned the Striker O-rings and the lower tube - then re-oiled them.

Then it worked as it should.

I guess that's a consequence of hitting in a newly mown field, where the loose grass sticks to the balls.

%%%

dunkky

Great work imminentDanger!! yeah 2 min proper cleanup once a while will do the job. I haven't had any issue with it or any PT i got for testing. piece of cake.. meanwhile, my hitting skill is in another level... Just never realize how easy it can be.. yet, took me so long to figure things out. They are all coming together now.. I remember, about a 2 years ago, trying to adapt the concept of good stride using butt, shoulder, arm. throwing barrel.. but, just didn't feel like i am transferring good energy and all. Now, man... hitting is much more enjoyable, because i think i know what I am doing... I'll post another video my swing pretty soon.

Get one folks if you haven't. when you figure out how to swing properly, BP is so much enjoyable and most of all, you have needed confidence in tourneys, and result will show for sure.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
As of December, 2023 - Just an update here.
The company now has raised the price to $159.99 and it has a Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY. There is a shipping charge for replacement parts after the first six months. It also sells spare parts if you want to order them. From their website:

PopToss for Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY

After your first purchase of the Black or Green PopToss pitching machines, PopToss provides all replacement parts due to wear and tear for the first six months, FREE OF CHARGE. The three parts which fall under a lifetime warranty are the air exhaust valves, the Long Yellow Cap, and the Base, less $20 shipping fee. The units are designed to last ten years.
PopToss has upgraded both valves. It is hard to improve on high quality and high performance, but we have done it. We have replaced our plastic air exhaust valve WITH A MORE DURABLE METAL AIR EXHAUST VALVE. This valve will give you a minimum of 5 years of perfect performance.
Big, Big, Big NEWS: How to FIX TIMING ISSUES ONCE & FOREVER - Use 100% Silicon Lubricant instead of using OIL - no more oiling - Oct 2023

So after the 6-months, the parts are free but there is a $20 shipping charge.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
My Pop Toss is still going about 4 years in. I've replaced the spring numerous times, and the valve a couple times. Cleaning and oiling is still important to keep it working, and I've had to dig dirt and grass out of the valve to keep it functional.

Big-Tony

Have they just given up on the *single person* pin version?

Initially I got an email from them saying it would be out a few months after the 2-person version, but I haven't seen any further updates.

yohann_chadenat

Have they just given up on the *single person* pin version?

Initially I got an email from them saying it would be out a few months after the 2-person version, but I haven't seen any further updates.
They haven't come to a conclusion on what timing mechanism to use to keep the pricing affordable. Hopefully they can find something. They sent me the 2-person version for test. It's working very nicely and the design is really more robust than the vacuum one...but as i bought pop toss to have the ability to go and hit whenever i wanted (or time allows) without counting on a pitcher, the pin does not cover the need so far.
But if they find out it will solve a lot of their problems for the spare parts.