Greg Connell hitting second for Resmondo

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
I find it interesting that in all the Resmondo games I've seen, Greg Connell (who usually leads the team in both home runs and batting average) hits second in the order.

Common strategy would have a team's best hitter batting third.

Should I be batting my team's best hitter second in the order?

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
If he has a high batting average, I could see batting him higher than 3rd or clean up. Don't know anything about Resmondo's lineup but if they have additional power hitters who aren't as good at getting on base when they aren't going yard, I can see the reasoning. Plus, if the bottom of the order can get on halfway consistently (which at that level they should be able to), then him batting #2 isn't that big of a deal from the HR perspective.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I find it interesting that in all the Resmondo games I've seen, Greg Connell (who usually leads the team in both home runs and batting average) hits second in the order.

Common strategy at that level would put your best at leadoff!!! This reassures he gets the most ab's overall.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans

It depends on the tournament's home run rules. If it is unlimited they will stack the top of the line up with the bombers. You want guaranteed runs coming up as many times as possible. When they play on the softball fields and "only" have 16 home runs they usually space them out a little bit more to maximize the scoring potential per home run. You will usually see DD3 leading off in the limited tournaments.

Rocketfire24

Addicted to Softballfans
I have seen some upper teams put a hr hitter at leadoff...one team of my friends teams that I have subbed had a power hitter at lead off, he is a big guy and has tons of power, but also really fast; He hit tons of triples and his singles were often doubles. He moved away for a few years and came back, now he is in is mid 30's and gained a little weight so he bats 5 now, but when he was younger he was there best hitter and really good speed so he hit leadoff.

Cuzn

Manager
Connell plays 2B for Resmondo which tells me he's not too shabby for as a runner. Plus he has Hall, Fulk, & an assortment of power hitters behind him.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is pretty damned fast, but most of those guys are for their size. I'm not going to lie I was a little embarrassed the first time I saw those guys run and realized I was about their size and about 15 steps slower than they are.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends on the tournament's home run rules. If it is unlimited they will stack the top of the line up with the bombers. You want guaranteed runs coming up as many times as possible. When they play on the softball fields and "only" have 16 home runs they usually space them out a little bit more to maximize the scoring potential per home run. You will usually see DD3 leading off in the limited tournaments.

Really? Everytime I've watched them Jeff Hall was leading off....

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
It's like saying "I hate being lead off " when it's only done in the first inning . The rest of the innings who knows what order you may hit in

Maris9

Banned User
He hits second because its the best spot in the lineup to free swing. Don normally walks or singles and that leave Connell able to just free swing. #2 spot in Resmondo lineup is the best place to hit in the country. Connell is a free swinger and that spot lets him just swing.

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
usually your best hitter hits 2nd? I thought that was always the case??
My line ups have usually gone:

1) Highest batting average.
2) Third highest batting average and usually no power
3) Second highest batting average with the most power on the team.

Am I doing it wrong? We get 6 HRs and usually hit 4 to 6.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bat people together that like each other because I've found you hit better when you're relaxed.

Mild Sauce

Won't Cheat
It makes sense that he hits second. This isn't baseball, where your power hitter hits third or fourth in order to ensure he has runners on to produce RBI's. You want him to get as many AB's as possible and that guarantees it. He hits for a good average which is great for his first AB of a game. Then he has some of the best power in the conference which is beneficial for the rest of the game and he'll get up more times in that order in the lineup. Pretty simple strategy and it's a strategy that most upper teams both in conference and upper level softball uses.

Mild Sauce

Won't Cheat

Are you doing it wrong??? You tell us, does it work? If it does, who cares what we think. LOL.

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans

Are you winning ballgames or going 0-2?

I agree with whoever said the beast bats second. Hence that's what I bat.... leadoff.

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
Really? Everytime I've watched them Jeff Hall was leading off....
JH leads off because he gets walked more than anybody in softball.. GC hits 2nd because he produces more RBI than anyone in softball.. but in the RESSY line up yo could plug just about anyone in to the 2 hole and still get tons of production....

b#7

CAPN MORGAN

Common strategy when you get a lot of HR's is you bat your best power/avg guy in the 2 hole, he'll be free swinging a lot with guys on base in front of him.

second2noone

and doesn't matter where you bat after going through once in the lineup. The top of the order will get more at bats which should be your best hitters.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
He is pretty damned fast, but most of those guys are for their size. I'm not going to lie I was a little embarrassed the first time I saw those guys run and realized I was about their size and about 15 steps slower than they are.

My 4 year old step son is faster than you are. :D

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
In the major leagues you want your best power hitters hitting 3 and 4 because it increases the chances of them hitting home runs with people on base. Softball especially at the major level is a much different ballgame. Even the guys hitting 8,9,10 get hits 60% of the time and everyone can hit bombs.

SilverSlugger7

Outstanding Bad Dealer
You can bat Connell in the #2 spot when you have Hall, Fulk, Mack, etc. following. That lineup is like Murderer's Row. It was even deeper when they had Baker and Rainwater just a few years ago. If they stayed, Majors would be a complete joke.