Groin pull, Not so fast. Pay attention to the signs

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
If you have notice a lack of timely response from me lately you will know why.

So most of the summer I was in here crying about what I thought was a groin pull. It happened in late April hitting Bp to get ready for the season. I rested, stopped working out, got fat and still had symptoms.Went to my doc and he said no you dont have a hernia. Got called to play with my old team and had a blast but by the end of the game No way I could run. Now Im tired of getting fatter and this thing not going away so I start doing some web research on Sports Hernias. Heres a cut and paste from the Cause paragraph...
Sports activities that involve planting the feet and twisting with maximum exertion can cause a tear in the soft tissue of the lower abdomen or groin.

So I make an appointment with the surgeon I know that does this stuff. Tell him whats going on, he does the turn your head and cough routine and says, Yeah you have a hernia. Now I didnt have the classic protrusion associated with this injury so we didnt think it was so bad.
Got operated on last Monday so Im 13 days out. Post op the Dr comes in and tells us it was much larger than he thought. Im so fugged up from the meds I cant even remember him telling me this or was able to ask him what that meant. Follow up visit is this coming Monday so I will get some insight as to what he found and when I can get back to the gym.

Ok so I was a bit misinformed as to exactly how big of a deal this is. You know they say its "out Patient" so I think its like a knee scope and I will be going about business in like 3 days. NO WAY.
First off I cant deal with those Codone drugs. They wig me out and totally stop my stomach but I was warned buy a friend not to let the pain get out in front of you or you will be sorry so I took 1 every 5 hours for 3 days. What zombie I was. I have no Idea how people can play recreational games with those pills.Not to mention not taking a dump for 7 days but the pain was covered so I guess it was worth it.
Other thing my "Cash and Prizes" turned totally purple and blew up like a orange. 13 days out and thats still not back to normal.
Unfortunately there is no way to train to prevent this injury so if you think you might have one plan on being somewhat non functional for a good 2 work weeks, maybe longer depending on what you do.

mihklo

I know what you went through. It sucked. Took over 6 months for it to finally get diagnosed. Went thru ultrasound and an MRI without it being detected. The pain when you take your first ****....oh man.

bigcat21

THE OFFICIAL SBF SALSERO
Bobby,
Get well soon and recover better.. Do all you are supposed to be doing, per Dr's recommendations.... nutrition is the key for the recovery phase.. lay off all foods laden with saturate fats and processed junks.... eat lots of Fruit and Veggies, basically whole foods.. avoid Fried foods and take high quality multi-vitamins and use clean supplement (No Chinese ingredients), start drink Whey Protein w/o sweetners, etc.., start exercising with.. maybe use light weight dumbbells for the arms, wrist etc...

deafie

If you have notice a lack of timely response from me lately you will know why.

So most of the summer I was in here crying about what I thought was a groin pull. It happened in late April hitting Bp to get ready for the season. I rested, stopped working out, got fat and still had symptoms.Went to my doc and he said no you dont have a hernia. Got called to play with my old team and had a blast but by the end of the game No way I could run. Now Im tired of getting fatter and this thing not going away so I start doing some web research on Sports Hernias. Heres a cut and paste from the Cause paragraph...
Sports activities that involve planting the feet and twisting with maximum exertion can cause a tear in the soft tissue of the lower abdomen or groin.

So I make an appointment with the surgeon I know that does this stuff. Tell him whats going on, he does the turn your head and cough routine and says, Yeah you have a hernia. Now I didnt have the classic protrusion associated with this injury so we didnt think it was so bad.
Got operated on last Monday so Im 13 days out. Post op the Dr comes in and tells us it was much larger than he thought. Im so fugged up from the meds I cant even remember him telling me this or was able to ask him what that meant. Follow up visit is this coming Monday so I will get some insight as to what he found and when I can get back to the gym.

Ok so I was a bit misinformed as to exactly how big of a deal this is. You know they say its "out Patient" so I think its like a knee scope and I will be going about business in like 3 days. NO WAY.
First off I cant deal with those Codone drugs. They wig me out and totally stop my stomach but I was warned buy a friend not to let the pain get out in front of you or you will be sorry so I took 1 every 5 hours for 3 days. What zombie I was. I have no Idea how people can play recreational games with those pills.Not to mention not taking a dump for 7 days but the pain was covered so I guess it was worth it.
Other thing my "Cash and Prizes" turned totally purple and blew up like a orange. 13 days out and thats still not back to normal.
Unfortunately there is no way to train to prevent this injury so if you think you might have one plan on being somewhat non functional for a good 2 work weeks, maybe longer depending on what you do.

Hate to say that I told you had a hernia back in April. I know I am an armchair doctor but yeah. Had that experience. Also hate that you had a false first opinion. I guess that's what they mean by "practicing medicine".

I hope you recover soon. Because it should be going away around right now.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I hate the pills also. I'd rather be in pain, than in pain/constipated/bloated. After my shoulder surgery, I had to ditch them after a few days.

lx_2nv

Coach
I believe it was the late great Patrick Swayze that once said "Pain don't hurt."

Seriously, that scks. Hope you get well soon...and your cash and prizes stay enlarged ;)

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Hate to say that I told you had a hernia back in April. I know I am an armchair doctor but yeah. Had that experience. Also hate that you had a false first opinion. I guess that's what they mean by "practicing medicine".

I hope you recover soon. Because it should be going away around right now.

Yeah I remember you saying it but Im thinking naah not me. Today was much better, drove my standard car and it didnt phase me. Still feel like theres some squeeze on lefty. Dr called and moved my appointment to Tuesday:sour:

ar2x7

Substance & Style
That sucks, but bigcats advice was dead red, most people ignore the nutritional side of recovery, don't. Get well soon