ASA ground rule double or live ball

bentknee

Addicted to Softballfans
part of our field has a temporary fence they remove periodically for kids soccer, part of left and right field, when its down if the ball when hit rolls past the invisible line where the fence usually is, the outfielder raises his arms and its a ground rule double (honor system) one of our guys hits a shot to left , the left fielder puts a glove on the ball as it goes by, it rolls beyond the line, game on the line runners on first and second,both would have scored and batter would have been on third, blue calls it a ground rule double,was this the right call ,if so where in the rule book can i find the ruling,appreciate any input, thx

ureout

The Veteran
you are using local rules that say if ball goes beyond invisible line that it is a ground rule double....unless the fielder intentionally kicked or batter the ball with his glove past the line it was the correct call....you wont find specific rule for this case in the rule book because you are using your own local league rules

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The standard rule is that a fair batted ball that goes out of play is a two-base award. That only leaves one question: Did this fair batted ball go out of play?

Why would you think this isn't a ground rule double?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The standard rule is that a fair batted ball that goes out of play is a two-base award. That only leaves one question: Did this fair batted ball go out of play?

Why would you think this isn't a ground rule double?

And the ball being touched is irrelevant to this play.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Unfortunately as per league rules it is a judgement call as to if the ball went beyond ( invisable line ) umps call is what stands.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This is the same as if a fielder had touched a ball and it went out of play say over a fence. How would it possibly be a live ball when the ball is in a dead ball area. The only time its anything but a GRD is if the player intentionally knocks the ball out of play. I know in usssa that would be two bases from where the runners were when the ball was touched.

bartxe

1st base coach
This summer I have seen 3 plays where the ball was going out, going to be a homerun and the outfielder either caught the ball and dropped it over the fence when he hit the fence, or the ball bounced off the glove and went over. 3 times it was called a four base error. It did not count as a homerun. But with the fence being removed I suppose that is a judgment call by the ump.

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
This summer I have seen 3 plays where the ball was going out, going to be a homerun and the outfielder either caught the ball and dropped it over the fence when he hit the fence, or the ball bounced off the glove and went over. 3 times it was called a four base error. It did not count as a homerun. But with the fence being removed I suppose that is a judgment call by the ump.

No, it wasn't. It was a four base award.

However, using a "line" in fair territory as a dead-ball line is just plain outright STUPID.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
This is one of those areas where the umpire in charge of the game needs to be very clear in his pregame meeting how that incident is going to be handled.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
This is one of those areas where the umpire in charge of the game needs to be very clear in his pregame meeting how that incident is going to be handled.

I don't think he has to explain himself. Ball was hit fair, did not go over the fence, went out of play, and wasn't knocked out of play intentionally. Ground rule double. Just because the field was a little unconventional, it shouldn't change the application of a clear-cut rule.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
No, the application of the rule wouldn't change. But an umpire should go over the ground rules before the game and let them know where the dead ball areas are going to be. A missing fence and an "invisible out of play line" should probably be covered, since they're not the norm. You don't have to get into some long explanation about the rules. Just make a note of where the line is and how it defines in or out of play.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The OP stated that he knew about the "invisible line" and out of play area, he was just asking if it was correct to call it a GRD.

But I agree, it's a good idea for any ump to clarify any special circumstances.