ASA Ground rule double

mestas33

The Veteran
On our fields we have fences up in the outfields only sometimes. Over the fence is an out. If it bounces over ground rule double. I get that.

Here is the situation. I was on 1st, hit and run, by time the ball bounced over i was almost at 3rd. I went home and ump sent me back. I thought it was a double from where i was when the ball went over. Ump told me to learn how to count. 2 bases from 1st is what?, he asked. Is there a rule on this?

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
If it does not touch a player and goes over the fence it is 2 bases from the time the ball is hit, ump made the correct call.

USSSA

The Veteran
base runners get awarded what the batter gets awarded, how can a player/ump not know this

Last edited:

hotcorner42

Addicted to Softballfans
yep, two bases from where you started. don't you watch baseball at all? ground rule doubles send runners who would have scored back to third all the time.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Anyone say that it's two bases? It's from where you were at the time of the pitch, though, not from where you where when it was hit :)

RelaxedFan

Part Time Player
I had an ump award the runner that was on 1st home. I disagreed and he said "the runner gets two basses from where he was when the ball went over the fence". We won the game, but now this umpire seems to have it in for my team.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
On a ground rule double the batter and any runners get two bases from where they were at the time of the pitch. The batter gets second and you get third.

Earlier this year I worked a game where a high school baseball team got hosed by this rule. Bottom of the seventh. Home team had scored four runs to tie it up. They had a runner on first.

Batter hit a long line drive over the centerfielder's head and it skipped near the bottom of the fence. The runner on first could have crawled home! But the ball found a tiny hole in the fence and rolled under it. This was on a field at a suburban school with money to burn, on a field that probably would rival some minor league baseball fields. This looked like the ony spot in the entire fence that a ball could possibly fit under.

The runner "scored" and the team went wild. Then we put the runner back on third. Didn't really get any grief about it- the home team's head and assistant coach were both high school umpires and knew that we made the right call.

The home team eventually lost by one run in ten innngs.

Last edited:

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
I had an ump award the runner that was on 1st home. I disagreed and he said "the runner gets two basses from where he was when the ball went over the fence". We won the game, but now this umpire seems to have it in for my team.

Was it a thrown ball? That changes everything.

mestas33

The Veteran
How can a player not now this????? WOW, getting kinda personal are we. Sounds like some umps didnt know the rule either from some of these post.

Thanks for the info peeps, I didnt argue the call i just questioned it.

2 bases from where i started. Got it.