Guys that EH

klu

on the mound
So today I EH'ed for the first time and was absolute garbage. I have been hitting the ball real well this year and today was the polar opposite. I usually pitch so I'm really in the flow and get in a groove. I couldn't get anything going today.

For those the EH, what do you do to get in a groove and not fall apart. I know I can hit and have been smokin the ball these past few weeks, but again, today was just embarrassing. Any tips to avoid this type of crap???

Thanks,

Not-a-klu

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
My tournament team is very good defensively and the backup catcher usually catches so I find myself EHing a lot. Try to keep your head in the game just like you're on the field. Remember hitters and help place the defense depending on how they hit. Go pick up foul or HR balls if you're not due up first in the order etc. Just anything to keep you from focusing so much on your last at bat. It's harder mentally, because if you struggle at the plate you don't have a chance to redeem yourself in the field. You're not the first to struggle with it.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
I don't EH but I'd like to know how it's different. See ball, hit ball.

cooper1

NGTG - beware of Apple voucher sales
I Eh a lot because I have a real bad hernia but I will catch every other inning or every few innings just to kinda stay loose. Stand up and stay moving and keep my guys up is another way I stay loose and stay in the game. I'm almost opposite though, I hit 200 points higher when I'm just hitting and not playing the field. Sincerely the skinniest Eh in the conference. :)

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Maybe it was just a bad game and not that you were EH.

shawn400ft

Retired Army Vet
I EH cause I suck at defense...anywhere...I'm used to it...so it's never been a problem for me...hope this helps..:p

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
My tournament team is very good defensively and the backup catcher usually catches so I find myself EHing a lot. Try to keep your head in the game just like you're on the field. Remember hitters and help place the defense depending on how they hit. Go pick up foul or HR balls if you're not due up first in the order etc. Just anything to keep you from focusing so much on your last at bat. It's harder mentally, because if you struggle at the plate you don't have a chance to redeem yourself in the field. You're not the first to struggle with it.

Good point.

the mental part of the game is the hardest to overcome.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
You only a couple "bad" AB's and almost everytime it was only because you were getting yourself out by swinging at garbage pitches. Not a bad day's work, we still won the tourney and brought home some hardware bro. ;) Best thing you can do is forget it and get ready for the next game.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually hit better when I EH. If I make a mistake when on the field it usually stays in my head and carries over when I bat. If i EH I only have to worry about hitting and nothing else.

killa-B

Every day i'm Hustle'n
I too eh,and like (fro joe )stated, stay in the game by help out your guys with were the other team hits/keeping em up and don't think so much on how bad u hit,because your only siking yourself out.....

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont EH but i would just say shake it off, no big deal! you may have just been a little out of your comfort zone which would make it more mental then anything! try drinkin a couple Red Bulls if you have to EH next time....that should get you jacked up an the blood flowin

rocketman98

Starting Player
If I EH I usually try and watch where the other team hits and help position people to make the best play. When the team is returning to the dugout I am out giving them high 5's and encouraging. It keeps my head in the game and my ADD at a minimum. When we are batting I am usually base coaching so I can watch the pitcher and see how he pitches.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
It's a mental thing...that's all.

It really is. I've always disliked EHing but I've been finding myself doing more of it as teams get more (younger) guys. If you can find 9 other players who are better defensively I would never complain about it though. I said 9 because I'm excluding C, you can get almost anyone to play there.

Anyway, keeping your head in the game is a good way to stay up. I try and make sure I count the other teams runs and think about what I would need to do on the field in the current situation.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans

Great advice here, anything to stay focused on the game. Coach bases, chat your guys up, keeping scorebook are all ways I have found to help.

J-Bonez

Starting Player
I play on league teams that have guys that either cannot bend over, or run incredibly slower than me (to my amazement), so EH is never and option to me.

I would suggest when your team is in the field walk the dugout and talk to your team. Help keep them awake and you'll keep your head in the game and be ready for the next at bat.

fldiverr

Addicted to Softballfans
When I EH, I usually spend the down time playing scrabble on my phone or checking the stands for hotties. I do these things because it is just softball and I don't care very much. Hope this helps.

cbeeb34

Addicted to Softballfans
maybe you just didnt have it that day... I pitch for my team and would love to just EH every tour

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
EH's hit at the end of the lineup quite often. Sometimes I don't know if the manager calls himself trying to make me feel better by saying that "you're the second leadoff" but in a way, that is true. If the rest of the end of the lineup sucks, you have to find a way to get on base.
If you're not doing so great at the plate, watch that first pitch to see how the ball is dropping in and adjust to that pitcher accordingly. The leadoff guys are usually the guys that hit the most consitently and the EH's job is to get the team back to the top of the lineup. If you can get on, you have a good chance of scoring.

-Six-

Weiner
I run the scorebook when I am on the bench, I try to run it right. Keep track of pitches and track where people are hitting. I suck at it so it makes me focus on whats going on.

ELone9

aka: Batsmith
I've also started to EH more the last couple season and I can say for me it was mental. It got better when I started chasing foul balls and home runs, chatting up base coaches, letting the defense know where people are hitting the ball, and keeping the mood light and keeping guys heads up. I still struggle in close games because I want to be out there but you don't need to be on the field to be in every play for your team in my opinion

Tylerjf

Addicted to Softballfans
I "manage" the team I play on and we've got a few guys on the bench for each game who need to get subbed in.
Being one of the better players on my team, I "EH" myself a lot so theres no talk of "how come you never come out" or any other shenanigans. We're 7-1 so working out so far. I also get to see how everyone is doing and if I want to make any adjustments to positioning / line up...etc I could be our best choice at middle infield / 2B or adequate at 3rd but I'd rather other people play, no hurt feelings over playing time and we're winning.

usmcluberti

Banned User
I hit better when I EH than when I pitch. Let's just combine crappy qualities and flip for it...one of us will be a stud

worthlovr

Addicted to Softballfans
So today I EH'ed for the first time and was absolute garbage. I have been hitting the ball real well this year and today was the polar opposite. I usually pitch so I'm really in the flow and get in a groove. I couldn't get anything going today.

For those the EH, what do you do to get in a groove and not fall apart. I know I can hit and have been smokin the ball these past few weeks, but again, today was just embarrassing. Any tips to avoid this type of crap???

Thanks,

Not-a-klu

I usually talk alot of **** to keep myself in the game... not neccesarily offensive or degrading just funny ****...

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
EH'ing sucks and the hardest part is realizing you're not actually even involved with the game aside from your 45 seconds of plate time. Make an out, lol. Have fun dwelling on it for the next 15 minutes instead of simply running out into the field and moving on to the next play. So like Fro Joe says you have to be like a second manager on the bench and do what you can to stay in the game mentally. Personally I like to sip on some whisky or g&t a bit to stay loose too. It's a nice diversion.

Worst thing going is EHing and the pos in front of you in the lineup makes the third out of the inning, THANKS BUD. Never leave the EH to lead off, every vet knows that. ;)

Wheels33

Coach
This happen to me on one of my teams I joined. I just couldn't get into rhythm for my first month on this team. I was mostly EH cause I was the new guy, played outfield an inning here and there. I knew I was the best outfielder on the team by far, but this team had been together for years, and coach couldn't bench them. I had to pay my dues to be on grass full time. We were short to 9 players one day. I played incredible the 3 games that day on grass, and my hitting was back! Never been on the bench/EH since then, but did piss off few team veterans who had to share RF and EH/bench. I could not get over it mentally when I was EH. So I can see how it can be hard to stay in the rhythm without having a chance to redeem yourself defensively. Hope you beat it mentally and start hitting well! Cause I never did beat it, horrible EH here!

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
All mental... talk your teammates up and keep em' pumped. Coach the bases, maintain the scorebook... Stay in the game! (OMG, I have a girl on my coed team who doesn't even come out of the dugout ready to go and spends about 5 mins to get ready on the field EVERY inning...drives me nuts!) If you can't keep your head in the game, why should one put you in (rhetorical question)... other than that... Coach/manage your own team, then you control the clipboard and guarantee you are always in the game

tfisher8

Manager
I enjoy eh. I don't let it get me down, just stay active with your mouth keeping you in the game pitch by pitch. It shouldn't effect your swing.