Hack Squat

brewzkeez7

Addicted to Softballfans
What is a good amount to for this? Im 5'10 175, looking to see what I should be able to do.

Matt

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
What is a good amount to for this? Im 5'10 175, looking to see what I should be able to do.

Matt

I would honestly avoid the hack squat machine. It's extremely hard on the knees. A ton of bodybuilders have blown out knees on this piece of equipment.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
im not a bodybuilder, just a regular guy that plays a little ball in my spare time.
I'm just using them as an example. I would avoid this exericise. Do weighted lunges instead. They will strentghen your core also. If you really want to do this exercise put your feet as far away from your body as the platform allows.

deavin_17

Addicted to Softballfans
I do these once a month. I dont go heavy I go deep and hit 15 reps per set. Depending on how I feel that day I may go lighter or heavier though. You have to listen to your body. Some movements feel good for one person and another may be in pain doing the same thing.

Digitalex

Addicted to Softballfans
Not interested in doing barbell squats? I used to do hack squats and supersquat. I'm 5'8 190. Most I have done is about 270 (just the plates). I think I my 1rm is 360 on that machine. I am not a power lifter by any means. Anyway I switched over to barbell squats and am only up to 185 at the moment (working my form and doing the SL 5x5 program). I highly recommend going barbell squats if you can. It trains your whole body.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are going to do them, don't let other people determine a "good amount" for you. Keep them safe and do a weight that you can dominate. This is not a good "benchmark" exercise.

Personally, I think people would be better off not paying to attention what others do and keeping their routing strict and safe and strive for improvement. But, if you insist on a benchmark use squats, not Hacks.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are going to do them, don't let other people determine a "good amount" for you. Keep them safe and do a weight that you can dominate. This is not a good "benchmark" exercise.

Exactly. Do you.

Keep the knees inline with your feet and don't let them go past your toes. Otherwise, don't bother.

As mentioned, the lunge is essentially the same movement in regards to rotation of the femur relative to the knee and hip joints. Gravity and the unilateral nature of the lunge generally prohbit you from abusing yourself in the same sense that the hack machine would. But if you can keep your ego in check and be disciplined, the hack is generally fine.

gianacakos

Addicted to Softballfans
Pistols are all well and good, if you have perfect knees...and perfect ankles...and perfect feet. Oh yeah, and excellent hip flexibility and range of motion in your lower back. Your knees go WAY too far out over your feet on these and the stress is pretty extreme, even without substantial loading (with it being a bodyweight exercise primarily). Just do regular squats, or as another person pointed out barbell hack squats. Sometimes creativity is the enemy (i was not serious about doing zerchers, leave those to psychos).

DSNuts48

Badass
I rolled my ankle pretty bad once, and since then I don't have full range of motion in the left ankle. It only hinders range of motion on low squats. It's either have them break it and hope that it will heal with full range of motion, or not to bottomed out squats.

tattt3

Coach
Not interested in doing barbell squats? I used to do hack squats and supersquat. I'm 5'8 190. Most I have done is about 270 (just the plates). I think I my 1rm is 360 on that machine. I am not a power lifter by any means. Anyway I switched over to barbell squats and am only up to 185 at the moment (working my form and doing the SL 5x5 program). I highly recommend going barbell squats if you can. It trains your whole body.

couldnt agree more.............safer and better,all the way around