Hamstring pull question

rodneydeeeee

Manager
It's been about 3-4 weeks since I pulled it pretty good. Has anyone had good experience with any sort of thigh compression or compression shorts if I want to go out tonight and give it a whirl?

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't...you will just delay your healing or re-injure it, possibly making it worse than it was to start with.

Hammies are no joke.

dgambill85

Banned User
Based upon my specialized schoolin that I've never attended an the fact that three years ago I thought about maybe staying in a holiday inn express I would say that you're good to go hard tonight without any compression shorts or ointments. Of course this is only my nonprofessional opinion and I would like to clear myself of in liability by saying go see a damn doctor and see what the hell he says. Good luck.

noffsinger08

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't...you will just delay your healing or re-injure it, possibly making it worse than it was to start with.

Hammies are no joke.

Truth here. Hamstring injuries are very on-going. If not healed properly it will be bothersome for a long time. If it's tolerable, I'd say wear compression shorts, use an Ace bandage to wrap it up, a little athletic tape for security, and go test it out...

rodneydeeeee

Manager
I did see my GP last week and she said to give it another week of rest. So here, I am a week later, still nervous as ever. The ball player in me wants to go out and play, the smarter part of me says to just limit to DH and get a pinch runner when possible.

whogotz

dilligaf?
tight ace bandage, compression shorts, half speed effort. the second you feel something - SHUT IT DOWN.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are the "my team needs me to win" type, go for it since you will anyway. But honestly, I would take what the Dr says and then wait about 4 more weeks. You might miss this league but if you push it and reinjure or cause more damage, you'll be missing more than this season.

If you must play, I would echo what "whogotz" says. Support it as much as you can, DO NOT go full speed for anything or any reason, and shut it down at any indication of discomfort.

Dkrep1

The Veteran
I pulled mine pretty bad about a year ago and I still feel it playing. I'd say lay off it for a while. They take a good 2-3 months to fully heal. I would say make sure you stretch really well if you do play but just catch or eh. Shut it down if you feel any pain. Not worth not being able to walk at work.

Joker

if you think you're ready, wait another week

SBFMedicalLicanse.jpg

rodneydeeeee

Manager
If you are the "my team needs me to win" type, go for it since you will anyway. But honestly, I would take what the Dr says and then wait about 4 more weeks. You might miss this league but if you push it and reinjure or cause more damage, you'll be missing more than this season.

If you must play, I would echo what "whogotz" says. Support it as much as you can, DO NOT go full speed for anything or any reason, and shut it down at any indication of discomfort.

Thanks... I went out earlier and jogged around the house a bit without any discomfort. I'm thinking of just hitting tonight, while taking it easy on the basepath if at all. If I can get a PR, I will probably do so. As much as I will want to be in the field, I DEFINITELY do not want this to linger! Not being able to play and just watching hurts me just as bad as it does the injury itself.

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
It's been about 3-4 weeks since I pulled it pretty good. Has anyone had good experience with any sort of thigh compression or compression shorts if I want to go out tonight and give it a whirl?

I had a grade 3 tear with a 2 CM gap between the pelvis and the hamstring. Pretty serious stuff. That was about 7 weeks ago and I have been going to PT, stretching, and a trainer and I am just getting back on the field as a DH right now. Like everyone said hammy's are no joke man and if you have not been professionally treating it is more than likely you have a good amount of scar tissue in there and you will in fact do further damage. I strongly suggest you see someone to make sure you are ok to go back. If not stretching is really key and I would not just jump back into it full force.

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
I did see my GP last week and she said to give it another week of rest. So here, I am a week later, still nervous as ever. The ball player in me wants to go out and play, the smarter part of me says to just limit to DH and get a pinch runner when possible.

Just DH and get a runner if you can man. Dont go back out there 100% because all it will take is one bad movement and you will right back where you started if not worse because you dont know how bad the damage was the first time.

Tymntgmry

Addicted to Softballfans
I have pulled mine a couple times, I have always been good to go after a couple weeks wearing a velcro hamstring brace, they help tremendously.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
If I went to Dr. for every injury Id never friggin leave. Get in tune with it so you know where youre at. Nobody here knows. Shut it down when you need to and when you feel better heat it up with a rice sock(sock full of rice and put in Micro for 3 mins). Stretch good dynamic and static after warmed up from sock and jog before game etc... Dont sprint off the line hard...just be smart.... play catcher and jog to first after you crack a missile and get a runner.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i've been using a bcg neoprene thigh brace and i've felt a lot better with it. i didn't have a bad pull before, just general discomfort and haven't had it since i started wearing it. if you feel good to begin with, take it slow and the brace can give you peace of mind. an ace bandage would always fall down when i tried that

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
tight ace bandage, compression shorts, half speed effort. the second you feel something - SHUT IT DOWN.

Right here is the goods...and I would wrap on top of the shorts so it's easy to adjust & take off.

PS...take a rolling pin with you and rub it out...deep muskel massagery is nice :D

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans

CORESHORTS made by Underarmour are ABSOLUTELY the best and you wont regret spending the money. This is all I have been using the past 8 years and have not had any problems with my quads, hams or groin areas. These are the same shorts you see during the NFL Combine. Coreshorts were first invented and manufactured in Canada then Underarmour purchased the company...

cr4shpeg

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone ever tried any compression shorts that have a built in area to support your cup? If so, how did you find them? I find compression shorts to help with leg injuries quite a bit, and was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone

tunahog

Coach
Yep, give it time. I pulled one last year and tried to come back too soon. Every time you hurt it your healing process starts all over again.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Kind of fun listening to people talk about how they pulled it, but not bad enough to stop playing. Sounds more like a strain than a pull. A true hamstring pull will knock you out of commission, not just make things a little sore and uncomfortable.

66FLH

Addicted to Softballfans
Through the years I have played on several hammie injurys...Never took more than two weeks but I never went all out until they were fully healed..3-6 weeks depending on how bad they were..

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
A true hamstring pull will knock you out of commission, not just make things a little sore and uncomfortable.

This.

I jacked my hammy up so bad one time that I could literally not point my foot forward when walking for WEEKS.

Quasimodo all up in the house.