Hamstring rehab tips

Sixes

K C C O
So Saturday morning I tweaked a hamstring.
1st time I have ever done this, maybe I am getting old....

Anyways, I have been doin the RICE method as much as I can, any other stretches/exercise you guys can recommend?

My calf and lower hamstring started to bruise up on Tuesday....

null-16.jpg

DSNuts48

Badass
Ummm RICE method for a week isn't doing any good. Don't do this until others chime in, but foam rolling has helped me in the past. Stretching of the posterior chain and not just the hamstrings. You likely have tight muscle groups and the weakest point were your hamstrings. So some type of hamstring exercise after the strain has healed.

quez82

Star Player
I had small tears the first part of the year, and finally I swung and tore my hamstring two different spots. My calf looked similar but I was told it was the blood moving down my leg. I did PT, but they had me doing alot of band work, air stretches, and most importanly....Rest. Took me a few months to even get the purple/black/blue swelling to go away. If I can find the paper work, i'll send it to you.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Ummm RICE method for a week isn't doing any good. Don't do this until others chime in, but foam rolling has helped me in the past. Stretching of the posterior chain and not just the hamstrings. You likely have tight muscle groups and the weakest point were your hamstrings. So some type of hamstring exercise after the strain has healed.

Rice? Put it in rice? Man that works for everything.

second2noone

back of my leg was completely black and blue. I tore my hamstrung. OMG that was so painful. I could barely walk and needed crutches. I must have been out like a few months. But I got some acupuncture and started stretching alot more. Remember to always stretch and started doing hamstring/ leg exercises instead of doing only upper body.

But a PT told me that kind of stuck with me, that he said as you get older, you gotta play at like 75% and play smart or you will have major injuries. :(

This weekend warrior stuff gets painful.

wcoastsoftball

Once you are healed up, strengthen glutes and eccentrically train the posterior chain. Do not stretch this injury right now! With the edema and ecchymosis, probably won't be a good idea for ART or IASTM of any type. Movement in pain free arc and work on the joints that don't hurt.

mswiat

Addicted to Softballfans
Ow. That seems to be a bit more than a tweaked hamstring with all the bruising.

I've been trying to heal a hamstring pull (no bruising) for a good month now, while trying to up my mileage for a Tough Mudder in 12 days. Seems that every time it feels a bit better, it takes just one movement to feel the twinge again. I didn't realize how tight my hamstrings were until I started using a foam roller. Hoping to add in some single leg glute bridges and single leg deadlifts.

wcoastsoftball

Ow. That seems to be a bit more than a tweaked hamstring with all the bruising.

I've been trying to heal a hamstring pull (no bruising) for a good month now, while trying to up my mileage for a Tough Mudder in 12 days. Seems that every time it feels a bit better, it takes just one movement to feel the twinge again. I didn't realize how tight my hamstrings were until I started using a foam roller. Hoping to add in some single leg glute bridges and single leg deadlifts.

Nah, the blood can pool down the limb distal of the actual injury site. On the flip side I have seen common lateral ankle sprains with ecchymosis over mid way up the lower leg/almost to the knee

fowlball75

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like you tore it. Mine poped and I knew I did it right away. my entire leg turned black and blue down to my toes. I did alot of soaking in the hot tub with some epsom salt and stretched it alot while i was in the tub. stretching and riding a bike helped me alot. also alot of h2o and try some protein shakes and glutamin. i came back 4 weeks later. good luck man.