Has anyone ever

ReflectionsBurn

I broke my right arm in seven places. I tried to learn and in the amount of time I had to learn lets just say I think it takes a long time to learn how to throw from the other arm. I sucked at it... best I got over the summer was throwing like Obamas open pitch throw.

tntodd

Addicted to Softballfans
Tie a long sock around your forearm with a softball inside the sock. This will allow you to throw inside your apartment and train your stronger arm.

sscroggin

Yada Yada Yada
So we had a game last night. And to warm up we switched gloves just to give it a shot. It was bad. After about 20 throws I had to switch back. It was so strange. The ball seemed lighter in my non throwing hand when throwing with it (hope that makes sense). Not sure if he is going to continue to try or not. I'll tell ya what if he decides to, it is going to take a lot of practice.

Natural36

I'm 36 years old "which blows" but I'm very lucky to be able to play high level ball of all sorts still. When I was in my mid 20's I started having tendon issues in my throwing elbow a month into the summer. Before I "finally" went to a physical therapist about my elbow, I continued playing through pain for at least 5 years or so. I figured it would go away eventually, but in case it didn't, I started practicing throwing with my left arm during the off season. Learning to throw opposite isn't as hard as one would think. It becomes really easy after you get used to it and your accuracy is actually better. Least in my case it was.
I play SS/MID/CF/LC depending on our setup for D. The biggest challenge is playing the opposite glove hand, combined with the different positions you may play, change in footwork....I was never comfy playing infield opposite, but I became really good in the outfield in a short time. I learned through rehab my shoulder had grown weak and my throwing form from baseball had dropped down lower each year playing softball, which caused me to throw with my elbow only. Nobody points that stuff out when your young and playing chuck n duck. I do the workouts I was shown on my normal arm and also on my opposite arm too.
I can honestly say I throw better with my normal arm then I ever did now and when I play around throwing left people say it looks natural. Anyone with athleticism and coordination can learn to throw opposite. Just practice like anything else...It's a lot of fun to pull out a lefty throw from the outfield after you catch the third out for example. People are like wow ;) No arrogance intended and sorry to ramble fellas, just a neat thread to see in general.

Arizonasoftball

I have tried this. Been playing with a bum shoulder for a few years. I could always hit from either side but gave up on trying to throw with my left hand. Just started pitching instead.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
You'd have to switch feet too......probably depends on the individual - easier for some - harder for others

Dexb0t

Entertainer
I know a guy who when he plays the OF throws left handed & when he plays the infield he throws right handed. I never asked him why he did it but that's how he plays the game.

Just saw this thread. This right here I found interesting.

dblemup

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 36 years old "which blows" but I'm very lucky to be able to play high level ball of all sorts still. When I was in my mid 20's I started having tendon issues in my throwing elbow a month into the summer. Before I "finally" went to a physical therapist about my elbow, I continued playing through pain for at least 5 years or so. I figured it would go away eventually, but in case it didn't, I started practicing throwing with my left arm during the off season. Learning to throw opposite isn't as hard as one would think. It becomes really easy after you get used to it and your accuracy is actually better. Least in my case it was.
I play SS/MID/CF/LC depending on our setup for D. The biggest challenge is playing the opposite glove hand, combined with the different positions you may play, change in footwork....I was never comfy playing infield opposite, but I became really good in the outfield in a short time. I learned through rehab my shoulder had grown weak and my throwing form from baseball had dropped down lower each year playing softball, which caused me to throw with my elbow only. Nobody points that stuff out when your young and playing chuck n duck. I do the workouts I was shown on my normal arm and also on my opposite arm too.
I can honestly say I throw better with my normal arm then I ever did now and when I play around throwing left people say it looks natural. Anyone with athleticism and coordination can learn to throw opposite. Just practice like anything else...It's a lot of fun to pull out a lefty throw from the outfield after you catch the third out for example. People are like wow ;) No arrogance intended and sorry to ramble fellas, just a neat thread to see in general.

you play at "high level of ball" and you play SS and MIF lefthanded?

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
this is actually a perfect way to ruin both shoulders, which you inevitably will if you continue to try and throw with your opposite hand.

Two things your body was not designed for: 1.) throwing overhand 2.) learning how to throw overhand as an adult. been there, tried that. it's a very stupid idea, get the throwing arm fixed.

knockers

Addicted to Softballfans
when I was 12 my buddy got into a bad dirt bike accident and broke his arm and collarbone and made a mess of the whole right side of himself. Over the course of the summer he learned to throw lefty and still does to this day. Has a cannon too, was clocked at 88mph in college, so it can be done. But things are way easier to learn as a kid

jerryg10

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been trying to become a lefty after my shoulder surgery for a couple years now and it is really hard. I have the mechanics down but have no juice behind my throws. My advice is just rehab your shoulder and hope for the best.