Head scratching call horror stories

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the call which left you most dumbfounded?

Mine: Playing in a tourney, first inning and the bases are loaded. Batter hits a bouncer to our 3B who fields it cleanly, steps on third and throws home. Catcher puts a tag on the runner who was out for the double play.

Guy on third, steps off and weakly says, "I'm out right?" Ump looks at him and she says she wasn't watching the play at third, says runner at third was safe.

Even the other team was in shock.

TurboLumpy

Hum it in there
I split the RF and RCF and tried stretching it for a triple. Close play at third, slid in and was called out. But the third baseman hadn't caught the ball and it ended up about 10 feet from him. Ump was standing in front of the ball but refused to reverse the call. Team went nuts but ump wouldn't explain himself.

Joker

top of the 1st inning i hit a ground ball to 2nd, the guy bobbled it and it ended up being a very close play at first and i was called out when i was clearly safe. i yelled and screamed at the ump, so did the rest of my team. anyways we went on to lose 20-3 and it was all because of that call, it cost us a big inning and we lost all momentum. that jackass ump cost us the game and we made sure he knew about it during the rest of the game and afterwards

whogotz

dilligaf?
top of the 1st inning i hit a ground ball to 2nd, the guy bobbled it and it ended up being a very close play at first and i was called out when i was clearly safe. i yelled and screamed at the ump, so did the rest of my team. anyways we went on to lose 20-3 and it was all because of that call, it cost us a big inning and we lost all momentum. that jackass ump cost us the game and we made sure he knew about it during the rest of the game and afterwards

you're kidding right? top of 1st and that one call prevented your team from doing anything offensively the rest of the game?

Joker

you're kidding right? top of 1st and that one call prevented your team from doing anything offensively the rest of the game?

rollpalm-mid.png

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
Heres the scenario..
USSSA D State Tourney CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Bottom of the 7th, 2 outs runner on 1st and 3rd, down by 1 run, batter has 2 strikes and NO FOUL.

Batter hits a 7 hopper down 3rd baseline at which the 3rd baseman was playing back and had no play on so decides to try let the ball go foul. The ball clearly hops over the bag and lands in foul territory.

Runner from third scores, and everyone else advances.

Home plate umpire yells "FOUL BALL BATTER IS OUT, BALL GAME"

Upon arguing the call the umpire explains that the ball crossed the bag but landed in foul territory making it a foul ball:confused: . We called for help from the field umpire who then told the home plate umpire that he's a moron and in fact the ball is fair if it crosses the bag but the call could not be overturned because fair and foul calls are "Judgement calls" which make them non-appealable therefore the batter is out and game is over:mad::mad::mad:.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
Runners at first and second. High popup on the IF. IF fly is called. Ball lands near the pitcher untouched and with backspin. It bounces backward and into foul territory. Umpire still asserts that it's an IF fly despite the fact the ball was foul and never touched. Wouldn't reverse it.

the fact that "IF FAIR" is implied, doesn't mean it shouldn't be yelled every damn time. really upsetting...

-Six-

Weiner
i laugh at people who get so worked up over umpires. they are human and typically, not always, lazy.

omg you blinked and missed the ball go right over the 3rd base bag. rage rage rage. lol.

Runners at first and second. High popup on the IF. IF fly is called. Ball lands near the pitcher untouched and with backspin. It bounces backward and into foul territory. Umpire still asserts that it's an IF fly despite the fact the ball was foul and never touched. Wouldn't reverse it.

is this serious? Infield fly is called to protect runners in an easy out situation. Had there been no runnners on base and the call was not made it would have been caught 100% not counting an error. Infield fly correctly called.

Rega17

'MERICA
We were on defense, a batter hit a dbo for out 2 and a few batters later we got out 3. We go in to bat and make it through the first 3 batters then the ump calls time. She talks to the other teams book keeper then declares we restart the last half inning after the dbo b/c it actually counted and she gave them the runs they would have scored on the HR.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
1 minute left and were down by 3... bases empty with 2 outs.

i walk up to the plate and say " hey blue, i'm fixing to step on home plate. " ( to start another inning )

pitch comes, i step on home and walk back to the dugout... he says he didn't see me step on the plate and calls the game due to time expiration.

i got ejected a few minutes later lol

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the call which left you most dumbfounded?

Mine: Playing in a tourney, first inning and the bases are loaded. Batter hits a bouncer to our 3B who fields it cleanly, steps on third and throws home. Catcher puts a tag on the runner who was out for the double play.

Guy on third, steps off and weakly says, "I'm out right?" Ump looks at him and she says she wasn't watching the play at third, says runner at third was safe.

Even the other team was in shock.
We had runners on first and second and a guy hit a ground ball to third. The third baseman fielded it 5 feet behind the bag and threw to first. The field umpire called the batter out, and the plate umpire called the runner at third out. We told her that the third baseman never got close to the base and the field umpire agreed, but she refused to ask him for help.
In the championship, I hit a pop up about 20 feet behind second base with 2 outs and bases loaded. The SS went back, camped under it, and dropped it. The runner on first didn't start running until he dropped it, so he flipped it to the second baseman as he was running to the bag. The second baseman caught it and stepped on the bag (I thought). The umpire, standing maybe 10 feet away with an unobstructed view, called the runner safe. The other team was crying about how terrible the umpires had been all day (they had) and how they were going to cost them the game. We put up another 6 runs that inning and 12 run ruled them.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
i laugh at people who get so worked up over umpires. they are human and typically, not always, lazy.

omg you blinked and missed the ball go right over the 3rd base bag. rage rage rage. lol.

DUDE either you're too lazy to read my post or just can't comprehend the point of the story. THE UMPIRE ADMITTED TO SEEING THE BALL CROSS THE 3RD BASE BAG AND STILL CALLED IT FOUL!

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Playing league, there fence in RF doesnt connect to the fence on the foul side, if the ball lands fair and rolls into dead ball area it is a ground rule double. Runner on 1st, guy hits a ball down the RF line, lands fair and rolls into the dead ball area. Runner stops at 3rd and batter trots to 2nd. The umpire tells the runner on 3rd, you score since you already touched 2nd and a GRD awards two bases from the last base touched. I have no idea if we won or lost but it was one of those moments where you realize that some umpires need some work on their understanding of rules.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans

i walk up to the plate and say " hey blue, i'm fixing to step on home plate. " ( to start another inning )

pitch comes, i step on home and walk back to the dugout... he says he didn't see me step on the plate and calls the game due to time expiration.

Did you make contact with the ball while stepping on the plate?

You know that is part of the rule right? You have to make contact with the ball while stepping on the plate for the out to be called.

Joker

Did you make contact with the ball while stepping on the plate?

You know that is part of the rule right? You have to make contact with the ball while stepping on the plate for the out to be called.

see post #5

HlyRomanEmperor

Addicted to Softballfans
Guy on opposing team hits a long fly ball to outfield. CF runs back and makes a clean running catch over the shoulder, turns, and throws the ball back to the infield.

Umpire says the batter is NOT out because he "didn't see the catch" because the CF's body was between the ump and the ball. We then argued that the CF clearly never had to bend down to pick the ball up off the ground before throwing it back in, but the ump said "it could have bounced".

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls

Only good post here so far

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Batter hits a fly ball foul, umpire calls "foul ball" and turns away. Our LF hauls ass and makes the catch but the ump didn't call it, since he admitted he wasn't even watching. I think we got our ass kicked anyway, but still.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

is this serious? Infield fly is called to protect runners in an easy out situation. Had there been no runnners on base and the call was not made it would have been caught 100% not counting an error. Infield fly correctly called.

It was a foul ball, plain and simple. I fully understand the point of the IF fly rule, but in this case it was improperly handled. If a pitcher is going to be nonchalant and let an IF fly go foul then they don't deserve an automatic out for it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
correctly called, yes.

i'm assuming he meant the out stood, instead of it being just a foul ball.

IF fly was correctly called, yes, but there was complete defensive indifference and it ended up being a foul ball. In a case such as this I think it should just be a strike. Maybe it'll teach the defense to at least put some effort into catching it next time.

scott.MI

The Veteran
Bases loaded 1 out. Ground ball hit to third, base touched for a force at 3rd. Then throws home and the catcher catches the ball with foot on base(no tag), runner called out for end of inning.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing in a 1up league. We are on defense, team we are playing is 1up on home runs... Dude hits one off the top of the fence bounced over for a home run. The dude yells its 4 base error... The umpire says 4 base error? The RC was about 20' from the fence... I told the umpire who is the error on? I told him it was an out... He said it was a 4 base error... I told him who's the error on so I can write it in the book..? He didn't even listen to me anymore... I kept pesturing him all game... And he finally ejected me... Park director asked me why I got ejected and I told her why... She started laughing and said seriously? I was like yeah and I just kept asking him how to score it in the book???