Helmer Flex

WillW3

Starting Player
I don't disagree. Agree on the Hawk, but what the Hawk had going for me over the Miken/Worth is it would keep a consistent feel and compression rating once worked in. Yes much softer than Flex, for sure. But still a crisp crack albeit soft feel and consistent.

The 2 I have we've lost count on hits now. Both over 1500, they haven't really changed much if any since about 200 hits. They look like crap from all the rashes and gashes of the paint, but still fire the ball every bit like when they felt they hit "that stage" out of wrapper. We can hit with a mix of balls and never worry.

What I liked about the Flex that took attention away from the Hawk a bit was that stiffer feel. Although for once, while stiffer it seemed it had every bit the pop of the soft bats. And more End Load. My sources tell me I will really like the next Hawk with thinner handle and more EL. Every bit as stiff of a bat without bend, all the same pop if not better, but more load and a thinner handle made it happen. And I just so happen to like Easton and LS thinner handles anyways.

My point is, I hope Easton doesn't stray too far from their formula to copy others. There's a reason people like Easton, and if they just start dabbling into copying the Miken/Worth feel, well then people might as well just swing the real deal then. Whereas the Flex gives a traditional stiff crack feel of an Easton but with pop and exit speed that are up there with the competition after a few dull years of really underwhelming product. Even when hit a few thousand times and "worked in" I still didn't care much for the 2014 and 2015 lines. Just not on the level of the other competition. 2012, 2013 and 2016 did with a tonne of work, and the Flex gets there with about 200-300 hits like a LS bat does.

I had a 2 year stint with Miken/Worth bats because nothing else really seemed to get into their performance territory. I never really loved the feel, but they fired too well not to game them. Now we're seeing options with feel I like and matching performance and dare I say much better durability and consistency. Exciting times if you will.

Didn't see many people have to trash Hawks and Flexes over failed compression, certainly not without hitting them a **** tonne of times. Saw a lot of people pissed off with failed Miken/Worth after pretty minimal use though.

I get what you're saying, trust me. I am just clarifying why I was such a fan of Hawk and Flex. I had no issues with the Flex stiffness, because the pop was all there. I could hit comparable very good shots with either bat. The sweet spots even felt interchangeable. Just a crisper feel to the Flex and more load, which I kinda liked late into the season.
Makes plenty of sense to me, no doubt.

On a sidenote, I'm excited as hell about the new NightHawks. I have 2 now, and I'm ready for the 2017 to go on pre-order.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I hope to have something you'll like very very soon my man ;)

I am every bit as excited between what I know, seen, and the feedback I heard from sources I trust about the new version. Considering it was the team who developed the previous one and everything they said the first time was true to the core about it.

I felt like a little bit of a traitor also swinging the Flex near the end of the year. Still love the Nighthawk but was on a roll with the Flex likely due to extra hefty EL.

Makes plenty of sense to me, no doubt.

On a sidenote, I'm excited as hell about the new NightHawks. I have 2 now, and I'm ready for the 2017 to go on pre-order.

WillW3

Starting Player
I hope to have something you'll like very very soon my man ;)

I am every bit as excited between what I know, seen, and the feedback I heard from sources I trust about the new version. Considering it was the team who developed the previous one and everything they said the first time was true to the core about it.

I felt like a little bit of a traitor also swinging the Flex near the end of the year. Still love the Nighthawk but was on a roll with the Flex likely due to extra hefty EL.
ah, please share once you get it!!!

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
But the NightHawk and Flex are polar opposites as far as feel goes. The NH feels more like a Miken than anything else on the market. And from a sales standpoint, the majority of people want that soft barrel. Unfortunately, their goal isn't to make a select few customers happy, but the majority of softball players because they have to be competitive (not that they aren't getting there).

And we do hit 52's some, but mostly 44's and Classic M. To me, the NightHawk hits the 52's better than any other Utrip bat I've tried, but they're more about the hitter. But I do understand what you mean about the mushiness. That's just how the balls get.

Man, I need to move. I would love to be playing with 44's and Classic M's. We've been hitting the 52 here for 3 years now.

joeym

Manager
Anyone got more images of the new line? I want to see a 12" 2 piece... and see if they stick with the normal endload or go to progressive on these.

THESHOE

Starting Player
The bat is green, like an olive army jeep green or the green in traditional camo green with a bit of Orange by the cap.

From what I saw, which I can't share, it is coming like the Gold in .5 weights. 26.5, 27.5, etc

I would expect the weighing to be like the Gold Bombsquad but with Flex Tech barrel according to what I can decipher in what I've seen.

That being said was told there is another bat in the works not coming out right away with what we know due to the Resmondo move. So maybe there's a different flavour to come with the Ressy name associated? Which usually previously was a hefty End Load model?

Anyone got more images of the new line? I want to see a 12" 2 piece... and see if they stick with the normal endload or go to progressive on these.

joeym

Manager
The bat is green, like an olive army jeep green or the green in traditional camo green with a bit of Orange by the cap.

From what I saw, which I can't share, it is coming like the Gold in .5 weights. 26.5, 27.5, etc

I would expect the weighing to be like the Gold Bombsquad but with Flex Tech barrel according to what I can decipher in what I've seen.

That being said was told there is another bat in the works not coming out right away with what we know due to the Resmondo move. So maybe there's a different flavour to come with the Ressy name associated? Which usually previously was a hefty End Load model?
Is the helmer the only short barrel 2 piece? Or is there a Kirby too?

THESHOE

Starting Player
Did not see a Kirby. But saw Weggy & Baker.

Mine is over 1500 swings. No fail no damage. Say what you want about durability, but I wouldn't get a Worth/Miken to that stage with a mix of balls.

Once it got worked in the comp number seemed to just freeze and stay.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
It feels an awful like like an SCN2 Bird. I love mine.
Put about 75 swings on mine today and it has a nice crack sound and the ball was traveling very well, still behind my 500 cut cl22 but excited to see how this one is when it gets to 500+

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw that Weggy tweeted the pics of his Flex 1pc. Interesting.

CvybKT0WYAEOkEJ.jpg
IMG_3429_zpstwklv3mh.jpg

belly43

Bored without softball
Did not see a Kirby. But saw Weggy & Baker.

Mine is over 1500 swings. No fail no damage. Say what you want about durability, but I wouldn't get a Worth/Miken to that stage with a mix of balls.

Once it got worked in the comp number seemed to just freeze and stay.
My BJ Fulk elite has 150 and has 2 cracks already in it.

starkbomber

Addicted to Softballfans
20 swings and testing at 245 so I'm guessing durability issues. But it's fire

I haven't really seen any durability issues with the UTRIP Flex. I have seen a few broken ASA Flex's though; you definitely don't want to hit hard balls with them.

Another key thing that THESHOE has said that I love...and that separates it...is that even though compression drops quick, it still has crisp feel to the barrel. That mushy feel is one thing I didn't like about last year's Mako Torque and the Miken stuff I have hit.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Anyone else had durability issues with these? My first one busted around the 400 hit mark. My second one is at 300 after last BP session and I'm gun shy to take it any further.

Thoughts?

THESHOE

Starting Player
Not seen any around here with the Utrip ones.

White ASA though yes, seen some cracking from guys hitting them with hard balls.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone else had durability issues with these? My first one busted around the 400 hit mark. My second one is at 300 after last BP session and I'm gun shy to take it any further.

Thoughts?

How would you compare them to the mikens?

THESHOE

Starting Player
Hmmm... I never would have thought I'd see the day where I end up Pro Easton in a comment vs you LOL.

But I have to say, in my mere mortal hands, the Flex is every bit as long and good as any Miken i've ever owned, swung, or currently have. Even the Nighthawk too. Which both the non Mikens for me enter the same territory of the Mikens where other brands do not.

I stuck to the Flex/Hawk hitting some serious shots while benching my Mikens and eventually selling most over feel alone. ( that includes OG Freak 12s here, and the White OG 2pc DC which I still think was THE best one made for consistency.)

And like I said, with the 52 Cor balls the Utrip Flex is siiiiiiick. The Miken are every bit up there too, but at the price of feeling rather soft with little to no feedback. Almost too soft on those super hot humid summer days with a mushy ball. Preferred the crack of the Flex especially on those days.

Goes to show how far they've come along, any previous Easton bat since ST100h or 2013 L1 I would always disagree with you on in terms of any potential LOL.

That being said, if I have to game one right out of the wrapper, Miken/Worth is my vote, or Nighthawk. The Flex takes some work and time.

If you broke a Flex, I bet swinging Miken gets pricey fast wow....

Step behind. Pretty sure anyone would agree. But I'll sacrifice some pop for added durability. Swinging Miken/Worth is expensive.

WillW3

Starting Player
Shoe, with you hitting .52's primarily, your opinion varies vs those of us that get to hit harder stuff, solely off of feel. It's almost cliche now that the .52 is more about the hitter than the performance of the bat, which makes your choice based more of feel and consistency. Bat vs bat hitting a classic M, Miken performs better. The flex and reckoning both performed well to me, but they didn't make me put down anything else.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Shoe, with you hitting .52's primarily, your opinion varies vs those of us that get to hit harder stuff, solely off of feel. It's almost cliche now that the .52 is more about the hitter than the performance of the bat, which makes your choice based more of feel and consistency. Bat vs bat hitting a classic M, Miken performs better. The flex and reckoning both performed well to me, but they didn't make me put down anything else.

I agree with this. .52s fly more based on the ball itself, not the bat used. I'm not saying you won't notice a difference between a good and a crappy bat hitting .52s, but it isn't as noticeable as using classic Ms. Even a wood bat will hit .52s out with a decent swing. The same can't be said for classic Ms. They go nowhere. The hotness of the bat doesn't mean NEARLY as much with .52s as it does classic Ms.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Dunno man, I do briefly get to game 40/375 and even 47/500 at times. The Flex does just fine with those to me. I have hit some stupid shots with the 40/375, and harder balls we occasionally game. It mostly depends on venues and sanctions etc. 85% of the time, being in my leagues I am hitting 52 cor balls though.

No doubt though that the softer Miken/Worth will feel like they have incredible pop with a harder ball like the Classic M. But when I swing them all with that ball and various bats, they all seem to compare. Makes sense, softer barrel with harder ball should add to the trampoline feel and effect etc.

If I picked one stick for all right now personally, it would be the Flex for many reasons. The new Hawk with more EL might very well change that however, that TBD.

I have no problem at all right now ripping shots with the Flex with any ball. I have not personally seen any significant gain between a Flex or a Miken that both pass compression. Give me a failed one, more likely to find a Miken/Worth, and let me rip hard balls and it might be a different story altogether. Which I think is largely why they get a lot of their hype, is from those who don't get tested and the bats get absolutely stupid for hitting harder balls with. But also in the same token, almost useless to hit a 52 cor with.

To each their own, you likely have a very valid point. But keep in mind, I BP a mix of balls, and do get to game others. My best pal swings a nasty nasty Black 2015 DC41 and I just can't get with it. In fact I hate the way it feels passionately, with any ball. I got to that point with the Freak 12 too. After 300 hits on them, I didn't care much for them anymore.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Hmmm... I never would have thought I'd see the day where I end up Pro Easton in a comment vs you LOL.

But I have to say, in my mere mortal hands, the Flex is every bit as long and good as any Miken i've ever owned, swung, or currently have. Even the Nighthawk too. Which both the non Mikens for me enter the same territory of the Mikens where other brands do not.

I stuck to the Flex/Hawk hitting some serious shots while benching my Mikens and eventually selling most over feel alone. ( that includes OG Freak 12s here, and the White OG 2pc DC which I still think was THE best one made for consistency.)

And like I said, with the 52 Cor balls the Utrip Flex is siiiiiiick. The Miken are every bit up there too, but at the price of feeling rather soft with little to no feedback. Almost too soft on those super hot humid summer days with a mushy ball. Preferred the crack of the Flex especially on those days.

Goes to show how far they've come along, any previous Easton bat since ST100h or 2013 L1 I would always disagree with you on in terms of any potential LOL.

That being said, if I have to game one right out of the wrapper, Miken/Worth is my vote, or Nighthawk. The Flex takes some work and time.

If you broke a Flex, I bet swinging Miken gets pricey fast wow....

You contradicted yourself. If you think Easton is on par with Miken/Worth, then I don't know what to tell you. It would be like arguing with a Hilary supporter (I know you're from Canada, but Americans will get the joke).

THESHOE

Starting Player
In my experience here, the Flex does keep up yes. When comparing comp passing bats to one another. Flex and Flex only, most other Easton bats and I am inclined to say you guys are right and the Miken/Worths trump it.

We can't all be sexist racist white rednecks voting for Trump bud ;) (Sorry to us Canadians it looks like you went back about 150 years last week - We didn't like either which one, don't know how you could even vote).

Classic M is basically a Worth Gray Dot, I hit those 1x a week in a league and moreso in BP through the season in our mix. Have done so for years, best shots I've put up have been the Flex or the Hawk. Freak 12 honourable mentions for sure but did not FEEL as good to me. I do miss my White DC41 at times, as it was an awesome bat I feel they've yet to duplicate. All in all man, I do think it is on par. And feel wise, I much prefer it.

Not saying 1 is greater to the other, they're on par once Flex is worked in. But I very much think Flex is up there with any Miken/Worth I've owned. I am not alone around here and a good bunch of us have enjoyed the Flex and swinging it over 1000 times with no worries of breakage, fails etc.

To each their own. One thing that is nice to see and recognize is how Miken/Worth really drove anyone else now to chase and match them in performance. Neat for the guys who swung them for performance but never really cared for their feel. The industry caught up, we have a lot of great flavours now.

You tell me today we are leaving to play, and we aren't 100% sure yet on which ball and weather... I am taking the Flex all day long from my findings. I've BP'd most balls without getting to harder than 47/500, it hits them all VERY well. Best of all, when I get there I can probably rely one of the 2 passes. Unless I am packing a Miken/Worth NIW and even then... Who knows right?

You contradicted yourself. If you think Easton is on par with Miken/Worth, then I don't know what to tell you. It would be like arguing with a Hilary supporter (I know you're from Canada, but Americans will get the joke).

Last edited:

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
I will chime in to say the flex is right on par with a balanced freak black, with a similar number of swings. is it a CNT+ or st100/100w? could be..but not yet. God knows I've swung everything out there over all these years. this one is apples to apples.