Help me with the science behind choosing a bat...

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
Hear me out... kinda a hottest bat thread which I should be shamed for as an old member, but a legit question that I haven’t seen answered in my research.

Have used an old USSSA 27oz Z-3000 for years and it’s on it’s late legs. I subscribe to the “they’re all good, just find one that fits your swing” mantra. That being said, new bats are made for the newer balls and yet I still have one league that uses 44/375’s (Thanks Bobby Buggs!) which are like golf balls. Given the current funds situation... I can’t buy two bats so I don’t want to buy a new bat and have it not hit the harder balls we’ll AND be at the risk of breaking. Are there any new bats or line of bats that are more akin to the older technology (I.e. harder/more durable, but still hot)?

Thanks in advance...

ShortYellowBus

Science. What is science? A guy you don’t know, with an opinion, who got published and now it’s a real thing? Where does his motivation/motives lie?

As my friend Johnny once told me, Science isn’t infallible.

Sorry for the tangent.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but the best bat out there isn’t 24oz yellow Mikens, and perhaps not even red knob DC41’s. All bats perform differently for different people.

I suggest investing in a 2012 Easton, like a st100 or st100h. That’s a fun combo of bat and ball.

Good luck!

tonys1

100h is my vote too

I showed syb those bats and he’s been talking about them non stop ever since

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
Science. What is science? A guy you don’t know, with an opinion, who got published and now it’s a real thing? Where does his motivation/motives lie?

As my friend Johnny once told me, Science isn’t infallible.

Sorry for the tangent.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but the best bat out there isn’t 24oz yellow Mikens, and perhaps not even red knob DC41’s. All bats perform differently for different people.

I suggest investing in a 2012 Easton, like a st100 or st100h. That’s a fun combo of bat and ball.

Good luck!

100h is my vote too

I showed syb those bats and he’s been talking about them non stop ever since

An older Easton is a good idea. You can always hit me up for inexpensive bats too. 914-707-3300

Syb and Tony are right. Science isn’t infallible.

1). How does one get their hands on a bat that old outside of scouring the forums for one for sale?

2). Is the 2019 line the same/similar?

An older Easton is a good idea. You can always hit me up for inexpensive bats too. 914-707-3300

Syb and Tony are right. Science isn’t infallible.

I agree with an older Easton, I have two Easton Salvo SRV5, 27 and 28 oz, both from early 2012, both bought on eBay for less than $90 each delivered and they have large sweet spots, tons of pop and fit my swing very well. You need to start somewhere in your quest to find a good bat so why not find a used bat, put a new lizard skin grip and a knob cuff and start hitting some line shots.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want new get a z5. It feels like a new Easton that opens up earlier. Or an anarchy of you want to be hip.

How far is your farthest, non-wind aided homerun above 80 degrees? If you're not hitting it 375 regularly this is all probably moot. It's not like a classic m is soft either. Just don't buy an Easton from 17 on.

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
If you want new get a z5. It feels like a new Easton that opens up earlier. Or an anarchy of you want to be hip.

How far is your farthest, non-wind aided homerun above 80 degrees? If you're not hitting it 375 regularly this is all probably moot. It's not like a classic m is soft either. Just don't buy an Easton from 17 on.

Uhhhhh I’ve been a board member for years... do you really need to ask how far my bombs go?! Pfffff

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Dual stamp demarini deuce or omega are solid options for your situation. Handle hard ball very well and perform pretty damn good with 52's when broken in

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought for sure you'd chime in about my suggestion, your second favorite bat manufacturer :D

But definitely would not consider a current nonlinear bat

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
Best bat argument solved. Bam!

Science wins again!

View attachment 66840

That’s not science that is landfill.

I’m so confused about the bats being recommended. There are lots of very inexpensive newer model bats out there that you can buy with a return if it does break. But in reality unless you’re hitting a ton of bp or playing in colder temps you simply won’t be snapping bats left and right.

Just don’t buy a combat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s not science that is landfill.

I’m so confused about the bats being recommended. There are lots of very inexpensive newer model bats out there that you can buy with a return if it does break. But in reality unless you’re hitting a ton of bp or playing in colder temps you simply won’t be snapping bats left and right.

Just don’t buy a combat.
If you play where they test a combat will outlast a new Easton. What a crazy time to be alive.