Herniated Disk

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Been having serious back pain for awhile, found out I have a bulging disk/herniated disk.

I have been going to a physical Therapist for a couple weeks.

Anyone have any tips to keep "flare ups" at bay on a day to day basis?

Thanks in advance.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
If you want to avoid surgery, stick with the Physical therapist...

I have three in my lower back and it is a pain in the a**, literally. Stick with what the therapist says and do the work... It will only make you feel better. If you are currently overweight any, Look into losing some pounds. It will help take the stress off your back...

Other than that... Ice, Heat, and lots of Motrin...

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
don't pick just any chiro if you go to one. talk to them first and see whos got actual medical insight and whos a witch doctor. I've also talked to a few that think they can fix anything with a quick adjustment.

The chiro i go to does the adjustment, then you get a 5 minute massage to help relax the muscles thus allowing the adjustment to "hold" properly. Followed by something called traction that helps align the cervical and upper thoracic vertebrae.

My GF has scoliosis and has been to at least a dozen chiros in the last 15 years. She believes in what this guy is doing more so than any other doctor, and really feels the difference.

TXOutlaws

Coach
I had surgery on mine in 09....hurts everyday.... Some days more than others..... I ended up getting discharged from the military for it. :-(

Goosepimp

Insane Dedication
Depends on your diagnosis but just always be conscious of your posture and how you lift things from day to day ...bending your knees and lift etc

Watch how you reach for things

Is it antero or postero ?

ScottSvirsky

Addicted to Softballfans
Get a foam roller and roll out your hips, hamstrings, and IT bands.

I have two bulging discs and when I consistently roll (three times per week) my back usually stays in check.

Last edited:

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
don't pick just any chiro if you go to one. talk to them first and see whos got actual medical insight and whos a witch doctor. I've also talked to a few that think they can fix anything with a quick adjustment.

The chiro i go to does the adjustment, then you get a 5 minute massage to help relax the muscles thus allowing the adjustment to "hold" properly. Followed by something called traction that helps align the cervical and upper thoracic vertebrae.

My GF has scoliosis and has been to at least a dozen chiros in the last 15 years. She believes in what this guy is doing more so than any other doctor, and really feels the difference.

That's the other part of the therapy that really helped me out the most, the chiropractor I seen was amazing... basically I had choice while in the military, either rehab the injury or get kicked out... I choose to rehab and part of it was the chiropractor... he was awesome... he only did adjustments every other visit... after that I would either get put on a tins machine or do the traction therapy... great stuff... I this k with the physical therapy and the chiropractor, they both work hand in hand in my recovery at the time... just keep in mind that this is an injury that you will live with for the rest of your life... you will eventually figure out how to deal with it and handle the pain and discomfort...

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
you could try a back stretcher

the "lynx back stretcher" gets really good reviews on amazon

///////////////
Get a foam roller and roll out your hips, hamstrings, and IT bands.

I have both a herniated and a bulging disc and when I consistently roll (three times per week) my back usually stays in check.

This and some stretching worked wonders for me. I have bulging discs in my low back and was suffering for almost 2 years before I went to PT and got help.

wannabeaplayer

Addicted to Softballfans
have three bulging tow 50% deteriorated, found out thirteen years ago. You will find the dumbest of moves will set off the back.

My best advice is strong core and keep flexible. love p90x stretch and the yoga cuz it hits both....granted there are some moves I just cannot do cuz it will aggravate the back. You will learn over time what is best and what is not.

good luck....oh and ice is my best friend. If I do something that will aggravate the back I ice it cuz it won't hurt right then but three days later....ice ice ice especially after workouts and ball.

00BigMattyC00

Addicted to Softballfans
Been having serious back pain for awhile, found out I have a bulging disk/herniated disk.

I have been going to a physical Therapist for a couple weeks.

Anyone have any tips to keep "flare ups" at bay on a day to day basis?

Thanks in advance.

PT, ask your doc our PT for back stretches to do every day in the morning. Make sure if you ever lift anything in the gym or in daily activity you have good form and try to wear a lifting belt when working out. I do all of that and still get flare ups but hey its all you can do. You can add in going to the Chiropractor once every 3 months too I heard I just dont like chiros'

Papasteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been dealing with the same thing for almost 4 years now. A few things I found that helped: Try an inversion table, anytime my back starts to tighten up I hang upside down for a minute or two and it really loosens it up. Also, if you keep your wallet in your back pocket, take it out when you sit down. It was something I never thought of until someone mentioned it when I started having back pain

beef3388

Addicted to Softballfans
I herniated my 2hair discs in the L3-L4 and L4-L5 and pinching my syatic(sp) nerve. The best things for me were PT, lots of stretching and core exercises. I found stretch and working my hips relieved a lot of pressure from my back. For core work don't do full sit ups or the bent over backwards sit ups cause it puts alot of pressure on the lower back. And for softball I found the worst position to play is pitcher. Using the quick twitch muscles and turning to hit something up the middle put me out for 3 months. Hope this helps and to all the fellas who posted here I feel your pain......every damn day.