Hip flexor recovery and prevention

Not sure when or how, but I think I am having issues with mine. What can I do to help aide the recovery process and what can I do help prevent it from flaring up. It's been happening occasionally for many years, but these last three weeks it seems to be an everyday thing. Usually a nights rest and the irritation goes away, bug over the last couple weeks it's been weak and irritated again the next day still. At times by the end of the day it's so bad that I have trouble just walking around the house. It may not be a hip flexor specifically, but that is the only thing i can narrow it down to his to the location and nature of the pain. Help please, this isn't even about ball, it's effecting work now also.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure when or how, but I think I am having issues with mine. What can I do to help aide the recovery process and what can I do help prevent it from flaring up. It's been happening occasionally for many years, but these last three weeks it seems to be an everyday thing. Usually a nights rest and the irritation goes away, bug over the last couple weeks it's been weak and irritated again the next day still. At times by the end of the day it's so bad that I have trouble just walking around the house. It may not be a hip flexor specifically, but that is the only thing i can narrow it down to his to the location and nature of the pain. Help please, this isn't even about ball, it's effecting work now also.

How about seeing a doctor?

wcoastsoftball

Ultimately Hip Flexors take a long, long time to heal if proper treatment isn't taken. Ruling out avulsion is first in cases where the pain is near the hip joint. I strained mine a couple years ago and still have very minor issues that don't bother me playing but I can feel. After everything is taken care of and ruled out, work on hip and spine mobility along with psoas and knee strengthening/core stability. Usually I refer people to the mobility wod website for simple things to do

rshackleford

Rec League Superstar
Mine ache all the time. My flexibility is terrible, I find when I do Limber 11 it seems to help I just need to get in the habit of doing it every day.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Ultimately Hip Flexors take a long, long time to heal if proper treatment isn't taken. Ruling out avulsion is first in cases where the pain is near the hip joint. I strained mine a couple years ago and still have very minor issues that don't bother me playing but I can feel. After everything is taken care of and ruled out, work on hip and spine mobility along with psoas and knee strengthening/core stability. Usually I refer people to the mobility wod website for simple things to do

This.... And if it's not a fracture, there are PRI drills that work wonders. Also, working on mobility and stability of the hips and core can assist in getting you feeling better.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Hips are very complex. Is it out of alignment, is there a muscle imbalance, is there a gait issue, is there IT band involvement, is there cartilage loss, is there fluid retention in the joint capsule, is the lower back, knee, ankle and foot the root causes, are there severe calcified knots within the quad or hamstring or somewhere, is there avascular necrosis? Is it just inflammation achieved through trauma.

I have many hip patients as an acupuncturist.

In my experience doing PT exercises, getting deep tissue massage, chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture (for pain), taking specific supplements (intenzyme forte, Mg orotate, high conc fish oil) and regular maintenance mobility, stretching and foam rolling between TX all helps.

Getting the right diagnosis is first. Opt for an MRI. Cat scans are dangerous and increase risk of cancer which speaking about that reminded me of one case I had. She came in with gradual hip pain, her GP gave her anti inflammatories but it stopped working. After a few tx from me she wasn't getting any improvement. I noticed her running a slight temperature which her OB dismissed as perimenopause. HRT did not help. No other signs of infections like a cold or a flu so I had her greatly exaggerate her symptoms to force a referral and not to leave until they MRI the joint capsule socket.

They found cancer in the hip socket. So yeah....get a diagnosis.