Hitting inside pitches?

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
How do you hit inside pitches, and not hit them off the taper of the bat?

I've been working on swing mechanics off a tee, and trying to hit with the sweet spot of the bat. I'm 6-3" and have gorilla arms. To get good extension in a swing, and make contact with the sweet spot of the bat, I need to be pretty far from the ball. Not really as much of an issue at BP or hitting off a tee, but in games, I'm struggling. I'm standing all the way to the back corner of the box, and still cover all of the plate and then some with my bat. And I keep getting pitched inside. What do I need to do to learn to hit inside pitches with something other than my knuckles or the bat's taper? I feel like I worked on getting extension for so long, and now can't use it.

Aarodynamics

3-4 hitter
i stand back outside corner of box.....i dont want to cover the whole plate as i run up usually in box to go oppo...this way you can get those inside pitches and still pull them but just staying put in back outside corner of box....

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
I'm thinking maybe I need to "fix the holes" in the box and in the process wipe out the white lines. I already have my back foot in the back corner of the box! With no lines, like at BP, I don't feel so jammed. But the freshly lined batter's boxes feel cramped!

DSNuts48

Badass
You have more time than you think to take a step back and place it where ever. I usually just rip the ball down the line if it's inside.

Aarodynamics

3-4 hitter
well the dimensions could be wrong on the boxes.....but yeah i "fix the holes" a lot too so i can stand farther back....and i do like a level runway rather than the pitted six inch bogs most prefer lol....

TeamPlayer25

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the key is to not swing at pitches that are that far inside. If you are that far off the plate and still hitting by the taper, 1 of 2 things is happening.
1. You arent turning on the ball or starting your swing early enough to get around on it.
2. You are hitting pitches that are going to be balls, because they are too far inside.

Just my .02

WhitePhins

MYSTERY MAN
I'm a lefty and I love inside pitches that's what I wait for. I stand back off the plate with an open stance. Granted I pull everything.....

DBO20

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't care how far inside it is or how long your arms are, you should be able to hit sweetspot...it just means you aren't getting your hands out in front of the ball. IMO don't run up on the ball. Standing still keeps you more consistent than bouncing around the box. I don't care what anyone says on running up on the ball (I use to do it for 2 years), watch any A or Major team. They won't be caught dead moving in the box.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
just tuck your elbow in a bit(don't fully extend, you will still have plenty of power) or take a step toward third and try to hit the ball in front of you.

Aarodynamics

3-4 hitter
I don't care how far inside it is or how long your arms are, you should be able to hit sweetspot...it just means you aren't getting your hands out in front of the ball. IMO don't run up on the ball. Standing still keeps you more consistent than bouncing around the box. I don't care what anyone says on running up on the ball (I use to do it for 2 years), watch any A or Major team. They won't be caught dead moving in the box.

probably but i dont play major, A, or B....lol i play C/D lol......and i have seen some decent players in the A/B class run up on the ball.....straight mashing but if they missed it was easy corn....

popo4u

Addicted to Softballfans
Chop at the ball. Added bonus...the backspin on the ball will probably confuse the OF and go over their heads if hit correctly.

DBO20

Addicted to Softballfans
probably but i dont play major, A, or B....lol i play C/D lol......and i have seen some decent players in the A/B class run up on the ball.....straight mashing but if they missed it was easy corn....

I am not bashing you for doing it. I would just never recommend someone to start doing it. I have become a much better hitter since I got away from walking up on it.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Your arms shouldn't be fully extended AT contact. They extend AFTER contact. Your front arm will be almost straight, but your back arm should have the elbow "slotted" (closer to your body).

Google "batting slotted elbow" and you'll find tons of info on this.

Tee work can help- if you're doing it right. If you're doing it wrong, then all the tee work is going to do is reinforce bad habits.

A drill that can help you get the feel for this is known as a"fence drill". Grab a bat (preferably an old one that you don't care if it gets nicked up) and stand in your regular batting stance while facing at slightly more than one bat length away from the fence. Take some swings while trying to NOT hit the fence. To not hit the fence you will be forced to keep your rear elbow close to your body. This should give you feel for "slotting the elbow".

Against live pitching, you are usually going to have to contact an inside pitch a little further out in front of your body to avoid hitting the taper of the bat. When you do your tee work, make sure to adjust your position to the tee to simulate this. In other words, don't stand "even" with the ball, stand a little bit behind it to simulate hitting the ball out in front of the plate.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
Your arms shouldn't be fully extended AT contact. They extend AFTER contact. Your front arm will be almost straight, but your back arm should have the elbow "slotted" (closer to your body).

Google "batting slotted elbow" and you'll find tons of info on this.

Tee work can help- if you're doing it right. If you're doing it wrong, then all the tee work is going to do is reinforce bad habits.

A drill that can help you get the feel for this is known as a"fence drill". Grab a bat (preferably an old one that you don't care if it gets nicked up) and stand in your regular batting stance while facing at slightly more than one bat length away from the fence. Take some swings while trying to NOT hit the fence. To not hit the fence you will be forced to keep your rear elbow close to your body. This should give you feel for "slotting the elbow".

Against live pitching, you are usually going to have to contact an inside pitch a little further out in front of your body to avoid hitting the taper of the bat. When you do your tee work, make sure to adjust your position to the tee to simulate this. In other words, don't stand "even" with the ball, stand a little bit behind it to simulate hitting the ball out in front of the plate.

You would make a great teacher, best post in this thread right here. (Birdman was spot on too)

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
I usually stand with a balanced stance, left foot in line with back foot, but if I'm trying to hit an inside pitch I'll usually take a step to the left (I'm a righty) with my front foot to open up my hips and swing that way.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
have a look at what i mean, not that my swing is a model of perfection, but i have long arms too. the 4-5 swings are inside pitches. see what i do with my elbow compared to the other ones that i fully reach out at.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Thanks for the pointers. Hit some balls off the tee this afternoon. Stood a little closer than normal, and ended up hitting some balls to the right of the pitching rubber. I usually pull everything. So I guess that's a start. I tried keeping my hands in and not "snapping" my wrists till a little later than normal.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
Keeping your hands in a major factor on hitting the inside pitch well if your casting at all taper shots all day long .

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
The key to hitting balls that aren't perfectly thrown.

It depends on how you step. If its inside....step way out. This ball is literally thrown at my body.....I stepped out and did a 50% swing at it (its in BP)......hit the barrel....still hit the fence too:)

so....you need to step differently. inside (step out).....outside...step into the plate or ball.

Last edited by a moderator: