Hitting it off the handle

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
Like many of you, it’s been months (like 12) since I’ve played and I’m now back to playing a few days a week.

However, I’m hitting like crap. Now, I’ve never been anywhere close to a high level player whatsoever, but I’ve always been a good hitter and with decent power.

Lately I’m struggling to barrel the ball up, and am hitting almost everything very low on the barrel (I’ve swung both 12” and 14” and while the 14” is more forgiving, I can still feel I’m very low on the barrel). Has anyone else dealt with this?

I get the normal ‘take BP’ take, but I feel like maybe I’m swinging too early and contacting the ball too far out.....

Any (honest and productive) feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

-G

Redsfan

When I was doing this (hitting off the handle) I just started standing further from the plate and laying off the inside pitches. My problem wasn't a timing issue it was where I was in the box. From Fall to Spring I must have forgot where to stand. Haha.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Hitting the handle can be caused by reaching too much, or swinging too late (or both). Sometimes your hands stray too far from your body and you start casting. If you're letting the ball get too deep you can start getting jammed and short arming everything and hitting the handle too.

Moving off the place more can help, but it isn't really actively fixing the problem.

I know hitting BP sounds like a trite suggestion, but its probably the only way to fix the problem. Hitting off a tee might help as well. It'll show you where you should be contacting the ball.

Last edited:

longball101

Part Time Player
TW hit on a good point about your hands casting. Next time you get to BP, try focusing on hitting the inside half of the ball, you won't actually do it, but it helps keep your hands in

jhitman

I agree about it's either casting your hands or swinging too late. I've had this issue in the past as well. You can try to stand off the plate but that never corrected it for me. Even if you are close to the plate as long as you get your arms out you should be okay. 95% of hitting is about timing the pitch.

Unfortunately by the time we play next Spring in will be 18 months between live games for me. Covid19 has ruined pretty much everything in it's path.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree about it's either casting your hands or swinging too late. I've had this issue in the past as well. You can try to stand off the plate but that never corrected it for me. Even if you are close to the plate as long as you get your arms out you should be okay. 95% of hitting is about timing the pitch.

Unfortunately by the time we play next Spring in will be 18 months between live games for me. Covid19 has ruined pretty much everything in it's path.

I think simply moving off the plate to combat hitting the handle is a lazy way to try to fix the problem. IMO, standing way off the plate actually creates problems like that because it forces you to reach further to hit the ball.

To truly fix hitting the handle, you have to train your hands to be more assertive. You also have to keep them fairly close to your body. Standing way off the plate and (over) extending your arms isn't fixing anything.

Some people do everything right with their hands, but simply swing too late. You end up jamming yourself despite taking what is otherwise a fairly decent swing. You want to hit the ball out in front, but not so far out in front that you have to cast/lunge to reach it.

Redsfan

I think simply moving off the plate to combat hitting the handle is a lazy way to try to fix the problem. IMO, standing way off the plate actually creates problems like that because it forces you to reach further to hit the ball.

It worked for me. Guess I'm lazy. Haha. I found I was standing too close to the plate this spring. So I moved back 2-4 inches from the plate and it made a huge difference. It put me where I should be standing and where I was the year before. I guess not swinging a bat in live BP for 6 months will make you forget where to stand. Laying off the inside pitches helped too. Sometimes a simple fix will work and that's why I brought it up. Not sure if this is Mr. G's problem but it was mine so I threw it out there for him.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
@Redsfan I appreciate you. I am going to try standing a little further back when I BP tomorrow and concentrate on keeping my hands close as well.

Thanks.

-G

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential

To truly fix hitting the handle, you have to train your hands to be more assertive. You also have to keep them fairly close to your body. Standing way off the plate and (over) extending your arms isn't fixing anything.

Some people do everything right with their hands, but simply swing too late. You end up jamming yourself despite taking what is otherwise a fairly decent swing. You want to hit the ball out in front, but not so far out in front that you have to cast/lunge to reach it.

thanks @TWmccoy i think you nailed it honestly. I do feel myself casting when I think about it and I will work to keep my hands in closer. I appreciate you.

-G

D-ROCK13

@TWmccoy is absolutely correct, hitting off the handle is from casting your hands and/or swinging to late or getting jammed. As for the inside pitch thing, i step towards 3b on those and rip them right down the line. If i try and hit a far inside pitch by stepping normally, it usually results in a lazy pop up or handle miss hit. Haven't personally tried one, but I've heard good things about those camwood bats that train for an inside out type of swing to prevent casting

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
@TWmccoy is absolutely correct, hitting off the handle is from casting your hands and/or swinging to late or getting jammed. As for the inside pitch thing, i step towards 3b on those and rip them right down the line. If i try and hit a far inside pitch by stepping normally, it usually results in a lazy pop up or handle miss hit. Haven't personally tried one, but I've heard good things about those camwood bats that train for an inside out type of swing to prevent casting

I find that I do best with inside pitches if I keep my weight and head back. If I over stride or overreach I find that I can't hit an inside pitch effectively. However, if I stay back I can get the hips swung open and still get inside the ball effectively.

There's no really simple way to hit inside pitches well. You have to practice and find a method that works for you. When I'm struggling I find that I'll hit an inside pitch hard, but I won't get inside the ball. That'll result in a topped sidespin liner that hooks foul or 2 hopper to 3B. Truly getting your hands inside an inside pitch isn't easy to do. Stepping outward a little (as you mentioned) can help too.

Despite the ball being inside, you still have to let it travel deep enough before you swing. If you don't you'll just lunge and pull it foul. Let it travel too much and you (gasp) hit the handle.

tonys1

I see some good hitting videos on IG, they use a soft ball (not softball!) on the back arm to help keep the arms in. If you extend your arms, the ball falls and you fail. Not sure if this can help.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
@tonys1 yup I’ve seen those videos too. My son uses one of those drills for baseball. It looks a little crazy but it’s definitely effective.

-G

basilray

I see some good hitting videos on IG, they use a soft ball (not softball!) on the back arm to help keep the arms in. If you extend your arms, the ball falls and you fail. Not sure if this can help.

Alternatively, a rolled up towel or pool noodle.

jhitman

I agree and moving off the plate never really worked for me. Doing more live BP and getting the timing of the pitch down is the key. Another issue I have had in the past is this. In trying to load up on the pitch I tend to sway my arms back and/or move my hands too much (primarily back too far). I watched several pro's hit and they seem to have very little arm movement back. There is a slight load (maybe a few inches at most) and then they snap their hips and hands at the same time. The snapping of the hands is the missing component for me. Once I started snapping the hands and not having so much swaying of my arms the ball has been rocketing off my bat. Amazing how such a small change can make such a big difference.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
Thanks for all of the advice and tips, I incorporated a few of them over the last week.

In the end, I think it was just rust and not swinging consistently for so long. Additionally, as much as I didn’t want to think it was a factor, I found it was more mental than physical.

I was in my own head and once I hit BP a few times and started to relax, I’m hitting the ball much better.

Thanks.

-G

dunkky

yeap, a lot of it is mental. also lack of bp pulling the ball. IMO, how you open up differs from inside, outside, midddle. so, if you are not pulling the balls for a while, your timing is off. i know a few guys always push backside. boy they are master at that. so, I asked CF to back me up and I played short playing RF. He saw it, and tried to pull it. Result was a weak grounder to SS. They simply didn't know how to pull the ball and i was inside their head. One should able to push, pull, go middle to be fully effective.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
None of it is mental...........Lol............It's casting. It's been said here a couple of times before. Your top hand in the swing is meant to push on the bottom hand. Not push the bat away from the body. When you swing, you should be driving the pinky of your top hand into the index finger of your bottom hand. This takes the bat from back to front in a straight line. If you're not doing this, you push the bat away from the body and you cast........Get extended too early and you handle shot everything. People talk about timing. Starting early....Starting late.......All of that bull****.........But, if you drive your top hand into your bottom hand on your swing. It will help reducing casting and handle shots.

Last edited:

longball101

Part Time Player
I agree in part with Swing...it is less mental and more MECHANICS. Great hitters have repeatable mechanics, without having to think about it at all. After a break or time off and I find myself casting, I immediately go over my swing mechanics check list. i have gotten to the point now that I can tell what part of my mechanics has changed depending on how I make contact and where the ball goes vs where I wanted it to go.

But, glad you found what worked for you and you're back to hitting to your satisfaction

dunkky

well, i don't know about upper-level guys, but sometimes weak mental dictates your mechanic. confidence another thing. The reason why you crush in bp but not the same case in live games. In this case, if you are in a slump and you are being tentative at the plate due to a lack of confidence, you will not be able to pull the ball in a commanding manner cuz you are tensed and being tentative and watched it too long which screw up your mechanic. At least that's been my problem when I don't pull the ball effectively. You gotta swing with confidence.

Kozy24

Hit the inside pitches out in front more, keep your hands in and be loose and relaxed. It's an exact science but I'm not a scientist lol. I hate the handle and endcap shots. Best of luck. Hitting goes in stages and I truly believe in slumps and hot/cold. Stay hot!!!