Holy Collections! (pretty jealous)

spank044

Manager
I don't collect bats, I only collect bags full of bats. 1 bag for ASA, 1 for a local outlaw league, 1 for tourneys. 16 sticks total, but I use every bat in each set of double headers I play. I think you need to be able to hit with a few different bats at any given time. I use some solely for opposite field and a few are guaranteed home runs. I also carry a few older bats for team mates. Last spring a team mate broke his Freak 98, go to since new, it took him all season to find another bat he was successful with.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a coach for a league team and would prefer to bring good bats for the team than have a couple of the cheap skates pick up some POS at a local department store and think they'll be able to hit well with it.

Queue "Why bring Combat if you want good bats?" jokes.

DoctaJ

The Veteran
I only have 6 bats right now (none are multiples), but some of them are old and I don't swing them... although some of my teammates like to. I usually don't buy new bats because it is just not in the budget. Just buy them during the offseason when they are cheap.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
for what it's worth, i often 'collect' several over the winter, try them in the spring, and then get rid of the ones i didn't like in the summer, then start all over again next year.

but sometimes, there's a bat that isn't worth getting rid of because the resale value is so low, or somebody on my team really likes it, so i hang onto it, or whatever.

so over the years, i've ended up with 5 or 6 bats that i don't use anymore, but don't sell either. guys have been doing this a lot longer than i have, so they have even more.

there's also that SBF's sickness, that you end up buying bats simply because they are a good deal...

there's also a big difference between guys that break a lot of bats and those who don't. i used to have 3 or 4 juggy's, then after 3 yrs, i realized i just wasn't going to break one anyway, so i got rid of the 'spares'. on the flip side, i break a LOT of hockey sticks. to the point that i usually don't even bother buying them one at a time anymore. anytime i find a new stick i like, i buy 2 or 3 at least.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can someone find tom15 or chipperfan pictures? I'm too lazy

a013888ada50226ea0cf3a2769f61f3d_zpsb0424c48.jpg

be39205e369052974c0d25a2b641629b_zps65da7496.jpg

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
i had around 40 at one time, was new to game and wanted to try out just about every bat that was legal for play

sold them off after i got married and started a family

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Atta boy ya down to 33 UGH...but I need sell some old since we use 52s now
I still think this is a false assumption. My bzillion hit NRG hangs with the top new stamp bats, even with the 52s. And the NRG will probably last forever too, literally.
Wait for the right deal. I currently have 5 bats, all but 1 new stamp, and I have maybe $500 in all of them. I bought them all "new" with 2 of them coming from members here. Deals can be had.
You may want to delete this and plead the 5th. New sales / trading (in the wrapper or not) is a banable offense.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I still think this is a false assumption. My bzillion hit NRG hangs with the top new stamp bats, even with the 52s. And the NRG will probably last forever too, literally.

You may want to delete this and plead the 5th. New sales / trading (in the wrapper or not) is a banable offense.

agreed!

the only problem with the old bats and 52's is it takes FOREVER to break them in. once they are, there's no problem. the 52/300's don't make some bats suck and others super hot, they just tone down the differences between bats by reducing the performance of the hottest ones and increasing the performance of the crappiest ones. but the 'best' bat with 44's will still be the 'best' bat with 52's, it just won't be the 'best' by as much.

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
I collected the bat (voltage) I liked because it was cheap and I could use it in all leagues and figured once everyone found out about them I could make some money. And it worked. Now I have a variety of bats that I didn't spend a dime on from all the wheeling and dealing I've done since the voltages skyrocketed.

Wolfynuts24

Jagoff
agreed!

the only problem with the old bats and 52's is it takes FOREVER to break them in. once they are, there's no problem. the 52/300's don't make some bats suck and others super hot, they just tone down the differences between bats by reducing the performance of the hottest ones and increasing the performance of the crappiest ones. but the 'best' bat with 44's will still be the 'best' bat with 52's, it just won't be the 'best' by as much.

Yeah bro. I was hitting 52s with my dba, brokin in fu, and flex yesterday. The flex still hit the ball hotter.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah i dont understand guys who buy a ton of the same bat and the bat line itself last 3000 swings. Personally im looking to buy more of the different eastons to have 1 of each of the popular eastons. Just to see what i like best and to say i have 1 of each :biggthumpup:

I have 5 OG freaks. Hard to find now a days and damn near impossible to buy new. You never know what type of life you'll get out of a used one either. That bats fits my swing the best and fortunately we can still use them around here.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Somebody still has to have a super collection of over 100 bats.

I had 35 at peak, down to 15ish now, multiples of 5 different bats that all swing similarly for different associations and I take a lot of bp. Hardly a super collection but I have been through several hundred bats trying things out over the years.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
How do you guy do it? i have two bats, Miken Freak FX-700 and a NIW Easton B3. But some of you guys have 10+ and Multiples of bats. Just reading though some of the threads of new release bats, some people have 3 eastons on pre-order. thats almost a grand in just bats! Then there is Hebrew Hacker who has an absolute absurd amount of bats. i think he said he has 112 combat bats (15 of the same bat and multiples of others) Is there a purpose of so many? If i tried to compete with the guys that have 10 bats i would be filing for bankruptcy. please, let me know the secrets!

I rarely pay more than $150 for bats, 10 bats means I probably spent $1000 to $1500 on bats. Certainly not a small sum of money but far less than people spend on a lot of other hobbies. I'm not rich, spending $1000 in one offseason would certainly get a WTF from my wife but when you consider its the only hobby I spend significant money on it's no gonna put me into bankruptcy either.

I have duplicates of certain bats because I take a lot of bp and I don't wanna break my gamers in bp so I pick up a 2nd one to break in so they will be game ready when my gamers break.

:eek: mother of god.......this is a perfect example. I understand buying a bat, liking it a lot and you're afraid of next years models being crap. So you buy one maybe two more. But holy crap! you couldn't use all these in your life time!

Pretty sure he got all those when the Extendeds were being sold for $100 NIW and then sold them for $300+ when they became popular. After that he could buy as many bats of whatever type he wanted to years and it was all paid for.

leftcenter01

on the down slope
Before I had kids I kept about 20 bats around, now its 3 or 4. I cant see any serious tourney player only having 1 bat these days. Im not a masher and a new stamp stick just don't last like they used to, so a back up is a must have for me. I have broken 10 or so bats in 20 years but Im not about to go to a tourney with a 1000 hit cl22 thinking Im safe for the weekend.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Pretty sure he got all those when the Extendeds were being sold for $100 NIW and then sold them for $300+ when they became popular. After that he could buy as many bats of whatever type he wanted to years and it was all paid for.
^^^this. But I think the days of hoarding and making a 200%+ profit are over. I no longer expect to be able to buy a bat, swing it for a while, and sell it for a profit. Now I'm happy to break even or take a small loss. Some might make a profit on their Black Friday K U S purchases. But that is not the result of an appreciating bat, just buying at the right time.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Before I had kids I kept about 20 bats around, now its 3 or 4. I cant see any serious tourney player only having 1 bat these days. Im not a masher and a new stamp stick just don't last like they used to, so a back up is a must have for me. I have broken 10 or so bats in 20 years but Im not about to go to a tourney with a 1000 hit cl22 thinking Im safe for the weekend.

This^ I thought there would be more stocking up on the same bat nowadays for this exact reason and staying with what you like. Makes more sense than having 10 Freak98's.