How does your team handle bat usage?

RODOJR13

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually don't mind other people swinging my bats because they usually don't have that much power... most power hitters have their own bats. If that wasn't the case then I'd buy a freaking ASA Catalyst or Miken NRG for 80-100$ and let them swing good luck breaking these

True bro, I'm not worried about anyone on my team breaking a bat, but that might be a bad thing.lol

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I tend to play on teams where some guys have a bat or two. Then some have 3-6. Then some guys have 20+. So this issue usually doesn't come up. I typically only swing 1 bat all season (unless it breaks), and it's always my own. I have always let people swing my bats, the rarity is when they are pretty used and my gamer and maybe when it's colder, because I want to be the one to crack it. Even so, I'll still let guys swing it because wtf, It's just a bat. Thats why I have multiple back-ups ready.

ATL Rookie

Manager
Most of my bats are for team use. Before I started swinging Combats, my Z1k was for my use only though. The harshest response I got was "damn bro, I love that bat".

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
...just start using a wood bat,I guarantee you noone on the team will ask to borrow it.

Except for that one guy that hits the buhjeezus out of the ball and everyone says he shouldn't be playing in the league, So he asks to use the woodie...
Going on almost a yr since I've seen that bat Lol

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally if any one of my good buddies wanted to swing one of my gamer bats, its a o k , especially if they USUALLY bring their own. Now if its a pickup game/not someone who would do the same/ has NO bats use,gfys, the ones that I put out for the team are good Eastons(S2, OR SCN19).

Phobia

Addicted to Softballfans
Tournament team everybody has their own and I don't care if somebody wants to try mine. Doesn't happen all that much. I probably should have been more stingy with some of my OG SCX2's over the years but I don't really sweat it much. I play several different league teams so I pick up a tank for those guys to swing if they don't have their own sticks or they think they need to swing mine.

ToddVenom20

Banned User
I used to let players use my stuff, until in one year, I had a PST and Freak break. Not one player using them offered one dime. That was the end of my bats being team bats.
Problem is some of the argument for moochers is that they cant afford a bat. BS. Most of them can, they just don't want to buy one. Why would they when they can use somebody else's bat. But its ok for others to spend money on them.
My bats are exactly that anymore, mine to use. If somebody want to swing it to see if they like it, that's fine. But I was done with the moochers a long time ago. If you are playing a decent amount of ball and/or tournys...have your own bat. Would you take up golf and borrow somebody's clubs every time you went. Would you take up tennis, and borrow somebody's racket every time you went. No. You would have one/set. Nothing different for softball.
I will also be the one who sells bats I don't like or don't use, because I have so many and have access to a ton, for dirt cheap to help people out. So I give opportunities for people for have their own. I have sold many nearly new bats for like a 100 bucks just so people could have a good bat.
Plus, you have sites that can help you get a bat to have.

Bottom line, there isn't many excuses not to own a bat if you play ball enough.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Tourney team everyone has their own, most people have a few. Our fun league night many people have their own. I do not mind if others swing my stix, thats why I have multiples of my bat of choice. When hitting BP with the tourney team, others ask all the time to swing a different bat. More power to them. If they end up liking one of mine, feel free to swing it until they buy their own.

Hoodrats84

HRO Hero
The new guys that don't have their own bat don't bother me as much as the guy who's been playing league for a few years and still shows up without his own bat. The " I can't afford it" excuse usally comes from the guy who spends $15-$20 every league night on beer.

knockers

Addicted to Softballfans
The new guys that don't have their own bat don't bother me as much as the guy who's been playing league for a few years and still shows up without his own bat. The " I can't afford it" excuse usally comes from the guy who spends $15-$20 every league night on beer.

So drink his beer... even exchange

Hambo

Starting Player
My brother-in-law and I (who organize our team each year) are really getting sick of moochers using our bats. Especially when we spend time and money trading/buying them. For example, I really wanted an OG Freak+ and it took me a couple of months to find a good deal on one. I like my teammates but I'm not going to let them swing it. All they do is show up each week with their hands out expecting us to hand them a top of the line bat.

We were initially hesitant to stop allowing people to use our bats because we didn't want them using ****ty bats... that just drags the whole team down.

Our decision was to buy a "team bat" and relegate some of our older bats, that we don't like as much, to the "team bat pile." We figure that's the only way to avoid everyone getting butthurt or swinging Hammers.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Another reason I don't use anyone elses bat is when I need to throw a bat or wrap it around a pole, I don't need to be curbing my rage trying to remember who's bat I'm about to abuse. There's a pro-tip for all you rookies.

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
We don't care really. We have about 5 bats total on our team, so we all share those 5. Hell, my 2B uses one of my gloves every game.

We played one team last season full of ex-college and minor league guys, they had one composite bat they all used, and a Cyclone for the on-deck bat. That's all they had. They smashed the ball though and beat just about everyone.

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
We don't care really. We have about 5 bats total on our team, so we all share those 5. Hell, my 2B uses one of my gloves every game.

We played one team last season full of ex-college and minor league guys, they had one composite bat they all used, and a Cyclone for the on-deck bat. That's all they had. They smashed the ball though and beat just about everyone.

it HAD to be shaved :rolleyes:

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone i play with has there own bat at this point....but no one touches my bat anyways due to how i tape my grip so im good in this dept.!

M

MJL 00

I just donate couple bats to team every year, this way anyone without bats can swing those , AND THATS ALL...unless have their own...

M

MJL 00

Everyone i play with has there own bat at this point....but no one touches my bat anyways due to how i tape my grip so im good in this dept.!

I also have a diff way of gripping my stix, tapered handle...If guys like it tell them can do their stix too. Guess im lucky teammates have respect and dont even ask to swing...:angel:

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
I also have a diff way of gripping my stix, tapered handle...If guys like it tell them can do their stix too. Guess im lucky teammates have respect and dont even ask to swing...:angel:

yea ive only had one guy that i can remember actually go into my bag an take out a bat an swing it with out askin.....lets just say that didnt go over well!

Hambo

Starting Player
I was in a game once where the opposing team walked over and grabbed one of our bats (It happened to be a brand new Super Freak) and the owner of the bat, who was in the OF, literally ran in and demanded that the guy put the bat back. Hilarious. He thought my teammate was messing with him at first but then realized that the guy wasn't joking around at all.

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
For the most part everybody on my team has their own bat............before I bought the new USSSA Stamped OG Z2000 I had to borrow a stick and its bascially understood you break it you but it. I know that everytime a guy uses a bat that it takes a little of the life away from it but sometimes in order to win you have to let it go. Only one other guy used my NR Z and it was because he had jsut broken his.......maybe 5-7 cuts for the tournament but nothing major.

M

MJL 00

yea ive only had one guy that i can remember actually go into my bag an take out a bat an swing it with out askin.....lets just say that didnt go over well!

Ya i tell them upfront at beging of bp before season so they all know and whine to me before season starts...Cause it isnt gonna change

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
I have 1 bat that is mine that I keep in my bag and don't allow anyone else to swing. I bring others for everyone else. Beginning next spring, I am adding $15 to everyone's league fee on my team to replace broken bats, since I end up replacing 1 or 2 every year and I am the only one who brings bats.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
We play mainly with 52/300 balls so every hit actually helps the hotness level go up since it takes so long to do anything with those balls.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
i have a couple dudes who can afford a 12pk of beer every week, but can't afford a bat.

Everyone has financial priorities. For some, it's trips to the Guggenheim and Cats on Broadway, for others, it's softball bats and eye paint. For others, it's genesee light and crack cocaine. I try not to judge.