How many swings mlb players

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
I was just curious so I google some **** about how many swings mlb players take in a day. I saw a video with (I think it was the batting coach for the Indians) and he was talking about guys in the minor leagues and major leagues taking 300 cuts a day. I thought we'll that doesn't seem too bad. I go into my garage set up my net, tee, 2 buckets of balls 25 each bucket.
I took me damn near 2 hours to do 200 balls and I was wore the **** out. I tried to keep good mechanics for all of it but by the end I was so tired I just wanted to finish. Surpisingly I wasn't sore at all the next morning. :confused:

I was bored....

wcoastsoftball

I was just curious so I google some **** about how many swings mlb players take in a day. I saw a video with (I think it was the batting coach for the Indians) and he was talking about guys in the minor leagues and major leagues taking 300 cuts a day. I thought we'll that doesn't seem too bad. I go into my garage set up my net, tee, 2 buckets of balls 25 each bucket.
I took me damn near 2 hours to do 200 balls and I was wore the **** out. I tried to keep good mechanics for all of it but by the end I was so tired I just wanted to finish. Surpisingly I wasn't sore at all the next morning. :confused:

I was bored....

If they do take 300 swings in a day, it isn't all in one bunch. Say, 70 at 10AM, then 70 after lunch, etc. Obviously a guess.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
If they do take 300 swings in a day, it isn't all in one bunch. Say, 70 at 10AM, then 70 after lunch, etc. Obviously a guess.

Good point. When that's all you have to do all day, it's probably spread out.

I wonder if it's the same during the season? I could imagine getting 300 cuts in every day when you are exhausted from the grind of 162 games and traveling all over the US is tough. I know for me, I took a lot of swings in the off season but when the season rolled around, I took a lot less swings. As the season progressed and my timing got sharper from the live pitching AB's, taking 300 swings per day would have been overkill.

But, I'm not playing pro ball so there's that as well... :)

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
They are paid to stay in top condition. Some of us schmucks have to make time for less glamorous work.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
They are paid to stay in top condition. Some of us schmucks have to make time for less glamorous work.

Well said.

I think my 300th swing would be the most pathetic thing ever if done all at once. Pathetic would start way before 300 though.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I highly doubt that number unless you're talking about a guy in the offseason or spring training that is really working on stuff. Even if you're muscles themselves weren't fatigued you'd have major CNS fatigue. Good luck hitting Chapman after taking 300 swings that day. He probably just threw out that number.

wcoastsoftball

I also do not think one can put a number on "how many swings to be a great hitter", Too many other factors. Similar to "how many approaches does it take to be a great bowler".

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
I'm going to take my sons little army soldier with parachute and duck tape it to one side of a ball. Hit other side off a tee and see if this **** works. :D

Crush17er

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to take my sons little army soldier with parachute and duck tape it to one side of a ball. Hit other side off a tee and see if this **** works. :D

we need to start taking 150 swings a day to become top notch hitters... bring the bucket ill bring the beer lol

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
^^^^^. You need way more than 150 swings a day! I'm sure most everyone here will agree.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I take about 11 swings every Wednesday (including practice cuts)
I'm never sore from it, I'm like superman.
F

Last edited:

sparky930

Addicted to Softballfans

I was bored....

Have you watched the Indians play in the last few years? I would take no advice from that organization seriously. :D

TeamPlayer25

Addicted to Softballfans
2002-05-07-iverson22.jpg

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
when i hit off a tee i hit about 100 balls in 45 minutes. I have gone through 200 balls in one session, but i got pretty tired at about 150. I have also hit 100 in the a.m. and then 100 in the p.m. the day of a game without it effecting my game swing.

the Macenko drill is more tiring and leaves me sore.

I Throw Strikes

going on strike
I did a bp session earlier this year and I did 5 rounds of about 30 balls in my bag...and I was gassed. But I also was having to walk the field and collect said balls after each round...that didnt help.