How much farther to hit over 30 ft fence??

House00

Slingin' lead!
not to be capn buzz kill but technically there's no good answer. 276' is the answer. if you hit it high and it came straight down it could land 1' behind the fence.

guessing the thickness of the fence is 2 1/4", i would say he could hit it 275.188' and 600' high to clear the fence...

just hit it 450' and there wil be no science involved...:rolleyes:

Villeson

Addicted to Softballfans
This is off the top of my head but simple trig shows us if the ball is coming down from 30ft at a 45 degree angle (Probably more though) and Tan= Opp/Adj or Distance/Height of fence (D/30) and you balance the equation its D=Tan45*30 which is 30 so probably a max of Thirty feet from the fence. And as the angle the ball comes down at grows, the distance need to hit a homer will decrease. 55 Degrees would be around 21 feet so unless you're hitting Monster liners that just carry, around 30 would be the max you'd need to hit it, I think.

I'm actually pretty bad a math and this is all available to be corrected. Ball speed matters a lot here but if we're going simple you need to hit the ball a max of 305 I think....

Last edited:

Chip197

This is off the top of my head but simple trig shows us if the ball is coming down from 30ft at a 45 degree angle (Probably more though) and Tan= Opp/Adj or Distance/Height of fence (D/30) and you balance the equation its D=Tan45*30 which is 30 so probably a max of Thirty feet from the fence. And as the angle the ball comes down at grows, the distance need to hit a homer will decrease. 55 Degrees would be around 21 feet so unless you're hitting Monster liners that just carry, around 30 would be the max you'd need to hit it, I think.

I'm actually pretty bad a math and this is all available to be corrected. Ball speed matters a lot here but if we're going simple you need to hit the ball a max of 305 I think....

tsss, this guys like einstein or sutum...

Enscheff

Addicted to Softballfans
A good guess is 1 foot of distance for every 1 foot of fence height. If you hit the very bottom of a 275 foot fence you hit the ball 275 feet.

To get the ball over a 30 foot fence that is 275 feet away you typically hit it about 305. Of course that will be +/- 10-15 feet depending on the trajectory.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah, the computers can model those things extremely accurately and way faster than any human can. the method i was using was basically just to draw a parabola on graph paper. with an initial height of 5ft and make it go over 30ft @ 275ft. then just see how far along the x axis it went. IRL the ball flight isnt parabolic because of air resistance, and newtonian drag, computers > me in this...

I actually used a computer model, and tried changing variables like altitude, wind speed (and direction), spin of the ball, exit velocity, etc.

Still couldn't get the sim to come up with less than 280'.

BRAIN

Rookie
This is virtually impossible in the real world, though.

I actually tried to get this to work out in a simulation. It doesn't. Even with a 69.5* launch angle, a 136.5mph BBS, and in Flagstaff at 6900', the ball still carries 280'.

*Edit*

For how ridiculous that simulation is, the ball ends up well over 275' in the air vertically, and uses such extreme values that the ball travels 630' on a much more normal 35.5* launch angle. Even that, the closest you could get to having a ball have zero forward momentum when it crosses the fence, it still lands 5' further than the base of the fence.

/thread .

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
We have a 275' fence, with a 40' net above it. Fence is 8', then for some dumb reason there is a 2' gap between fence and net, so 50' high when you include fence and net. To clear it with average trajectory, you carry at least 310-315'.

Gio

Resident SBF Guitarist
In my league, we have 2 fields that have 30 ft fences. Its 275 down the line. I clear the fence about once every other game. Just wondering, anyone have a guesstimation on how far you would need to hit the ball to clear a 30 ft. fence at say, 275 ft?

about 310'

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
It's certainly possible. It's called wind. We don't play in a vacuum.

You didn't read my post, did you?

I tried dozens of simulations, changing every conceivable variable. It still doesn't fall at 276'.

Then again the simulator I was working with doesn't allow BBS of greater than 140mph, so maybe I need one that allows a 780mph BBS into F5 tornado winds, because that's even more realistic than the already stupid values I used to get close to 276'. :rolleyes:

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
If you hit it out that often then go take some bp at the field, have someone mark where it landed, and break out the tape......easy!

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
That sounds like a complicated mathematical equation. So basically a linedrive homerun hitter would have a hard time. You would have to factor in elevation, lift, and velocity somehow. There are some popup homerun hitters out there though

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
That sounds like a complicated mathematical equation. So basically a linedrive homerun hitter would have a hard time. You would have to factor in elevation, lift, and velocity somehow. There are some popup homerun hitters out there though

I can account for air density (elevation), CdA changes in the ball, Magnus effect, BBS changes, launch angle, and wind conditions.

I still couldn't get the fabled 276'.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
not to be capn buzz kill but technically there's no good answer. 276' is the answer. if you hit it high and it came straight down it could land 1' behind the fence.

It could even land 1" behind the fence in all reality.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
It could even land 1" behind the fence in all reality.

Outside of hurricane force headwinds or bouncing directly off the top of the fence, this isn't happening. Even with a bounce, it'd be really strange -- it would have to lose nearly all forward momentum and produce an almost perfectly vertical bounce.

So again, real world conditions put this at ~305' (+/- 5').

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Outside of hurricane force headwinds or bouncing directly off the top of the fence, this isn't happening. Even with a bounce, it'd be really strange -- it would have to lose nearly all forward momentum and produce an almost perfectly vertical bounce.

So again, real world conditions put this at ~305' (+/- 5').

This is outlandish and ridiclous. Prove reasoning or STFU

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
I'm BS'in. Hit at an absolute trajectory of 138.75fps at 98 mph. It would land at 277.5' You lost, dirtbag...
Fictional

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm BS'in. Hit at an absolute trajectory of 138.75fps at 98 mph. It would land at 277.5' You lost, dirtbag...
Fictional

Not sure if drunk...

How does one measure trajectory in frames per second anyway? This is a new one to me.

On that note, I measured the BBS off my Recoil last night. My swing was measured at 90 Btu, and the exit speed was 117Hz. Pretty badass.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm gonna start measuring my home runs in tesla.

400' no longer impresses me. If it's not at least 18.8T, I don't care.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Not sure if drunk...

How does one measure trajectory in frames per second anyway? This is a new one to me.

On that note, I measured the BBS off my Recoil last night. My swing was measured at 90 Btu, and the exit speed was 117Hz. Pretty badass.

Completely drunk....answer? Gin and Tonic