How to cut a softball to generate backspin

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
Greetings fellow softballlers! I’m looking for some advice. How does a batter “cut” a softball to create backspin to make it fly? Is there a specific batting style? Is it like cutting a tree down with an axe?

Dogue

Evil Genius
Level to slightly upward swing and hit the ball just below the equator, or a tomahawk swing where the bat head is above the hands and the bat snap is timed to put backspin on the ball.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
I always thought it meant to cut the ball in half, hit bottom half to create backspin, top half to create sinking line drive
SMOKE

trippy1313

Starting Player
This is baseball so maybe a bit different, but Nelson Cruz explained he swings at a bit of a downward angle, but toward the bottom half of the ball, and that gives him a lot of backspin on his hits.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Level to slightly downward swing is what you need to really cut a ball. Cutting is one of those skills you'll have to work on in BP frequently to perfect. Done properly there's no more satisfying way to hit a ball.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
iv been hitting like this for awhile, it does take lots of bp to get it down, also there is sometimes if you screw up it goes straight up in the air lol

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i try and swing level or slightly down as much as possible and try and hit the top half of the ball. just practice the hell out of it. sometimes it results in a chopper and i'm out but most of the time its a line at the infielders feet, a straight line rope, or a miss hit can go a looooong way.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
i try and swing level or slightly down as much as possible and try and hit the top half of the ball. just practice the hell out of it. sometimes it results in a chopper and i'm out but most of the time its a line at the infielders feet, a straight line rope, or a miss hit can go a looooong way.

You do this and you're going to be hitting 1 hoppers to SS all day. You want to hit just below the equator of the ball.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
You do this and you're going to be hitting 1 hoppers to SS all day. You want to hit just below the equator of the ball.

i should of mentioned this. my aiming for the top of the ball results in my hitting the middle of the ball. when i do hit the top half of the ball i'm a 5-6 hole all day guy if i'm not going the other way. so they usually are still through.

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
Not to mention a cut line drive is a real ***** to catch. Those rising liners are nasty.

Be prepared to hit gaps in the outfield or your line drive will carry right to the outfielders.