How to get the ball up in the air

Marcw1981

The Rookie
I am 6'2 220lbs and I am trying to figure out how to get the ball up in the air with distance. I hit long line drives about 6ft off the ground Im trying to get the ball up and more distance how do I go about doing it

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Swing up! That will get it in the air more :) Or hit a little lower on the ball. Or cut the ball and create back spin.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Move up in the box, drop your hands just a little bit, aim for the bottom half of the ball and hit pitches that are a little higher in the zone. I had the same issue a few weeks ago, and did this and have been having a lot of success. And if I don't get it up, they're top spin line drives to the outfield.

wcoastsoftball

If you are hitting gaps with 6foot high line drives, I do not see the issue.

That said, a slight up swing is needed IMO. Swinging down will end up in pop ups without lots of practice.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Move up in the box, drop your hands just a little bit, aim for the bottom half of the ball and hit pitches that are a little higher in the zone. I had the same issue a few weeks ago, and did this and have been having a lot of success. And if I don't get it up, they're top spin line drives to the outfield.

X2....move up a little. Keep the same swing. You'll be hitting the ball at a higher level so naturally you be swinging up. You don't have to move up much just move a little each at bat until you get to the right level. Watch the pitcher...see how he throws to other batters then adjust to how he's throwing; throws short move up, throws deep move back or stay the same depending on his arch....just have to experiment.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I am 6'2 220lbs and I am trying to figure out how to get the ball up in the air with distance. I hit long line drives about 6ft off the ground...

If you are hitting gaps with 6foot high line drives, I do not see the issue.

6'2" 220lb guys that hit nothing but 6' line drives are the scariest to defend against. Look up some vids of Robert "Robo" Blackburne. I'd post links but I'm firewalled at work. He swings dead level and still crushes the ball, he just hits the bottom half for distance and the middle of the ball for liners.

Don't change your swing and start swinging up. Just work on hitting different parts of the ball with the same swing and you'll be more consistent.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Not been on in a while, but I would venture to say wcoastsoftball is correct. I came back from major shoulder surgery last fall and couldn't find my swing this year. Started researching batting, and Swing Makeover Series on the y-tube was great.

I used to swing slightly down and try to cut the bottom half. After adjusting to swing level across with a slight uppercut at the end, I went from beating up the tee and occasionally one-hopping a 310-315' fence to hitting the fence regularly, and the last session off the tee I hit 10 of my 5 year old 44/375 balls over the fence. That was with just 2 weeks of adopting the tips.

The 2 other things I found lacking was not keeping my hands "up/down", and needing to collapse my rear leg and stride wider more so I could get under the pitch better to swing it up. After that, I'm just working now on hitting the top half of the ball to get a hard liner that stays in the park when it needs to.

majicmike

Starting Player
Come watch my rec team,,,You will be hitting them 300 ft high within a matter of minutes. If your looking distance,,Well,, we cant help with that.