How to increase speed?

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
I've pretty much taken most of this past year off to handle "real life" issues. I've also been hitting the gym and I'm in much better shape than I was (I still have a ways to go, but I'm making progress).

Anyway, I've never been a fast runner, and being overweight slowed me down more.

Now that I'm in better shape, is there a way I can learn to run better or something to increase my speed.

While I get some laughs when I state that I "stretched a triple into a double," I'd actually like to get that triple next year.

TIA

wcoastsoftball

Lose weight
Deadlifts and variations, including single leg
hip trusts (which research is showing may be more beneficial than squats in increasing sprint acceleration)
Core strength
Throw in some pressing and pulling for upper body

Can be a bit more complicated, but that is the simple form.

Last edited:

wcoastsoftball

Run mechanics will help, but, and not that you shouldn't try to improve upon it, but usually what I see on the field (base to base or sprinting for a ball) is different than nice looking mechanics. One exercise I really like to do and keep in my clients program is Power Skips. Allows you to work plyometrically, and work on hip and arm drive.

trip

stfu
everyone always says legs legs legs.

you look at sprinters... they're all ****ing ripped because they pump the hell out of their arms.

definitely do leg stuff- just don't forget about your upper body.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
sprints will obviously be more benficial than anything else

flexibility at this stage will help you more than any type of specialized lifting

so a light jog to get blood flowing.....tons of stretching.....sprint drills....more streching......repeat. high knees

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Sorry Wcoast to not be specific. Yes obviously not just running mechanics as we are not just sprinting but training in ways to improve the run form.

Primo, not so much stretching...... Dynamic warmup prior to running.....

Primo

fat and famous pablo
For athletes in running shape already training, I'd agree.....for mild aged out of training softball players, I'd put flexibility over every single facet exponentially. If you don't bring your knees high, extend out and drive off, it's probably because you can't

tap2284

For athletes in running shape already training, I'd agree.....for mild aged out of training softball players, I'd put flexibility over every single facet exponentially. If you don't bring your knees high, extend out and drive off, it's probably because you can't

Stretching has been shown to decrease performance. I agree you need mobility and mobility can be achieved by mobility exercises and training.

Example: 60 year old client with ZERO hip IR and ER during assessment. Limited straight leg raise. Thomas test limited. Couldn't do a split squat holding onto a rack the first day. Could only drop about 2". Mobility work in his warmup and a proper training program, as well as consistency on his part, 8 weeks later he was doing goblet reverse lunges. Not once did we "stretch" him or advise him to stretch.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
You're splitting hairs.....it wasn't lack of strength as to why he couldn't do any of those

I'm recommending flexibility via stretching/running, you're recommending flexibility through training

I should have recommended yoga

tap2284

I'm recommending not stretching. I'm recommending using mobility drills improve mobility and performance.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe interval training. 60-90 seconds,1:1 rest/work ratio at your VO2 max twice a week. If you think about it we sprint 70ft base to base

Primo

fat and famous pablo
so mobility isn't another word for flexibility.....

i can live w/ that because this has grown redundant. you win

drive805

Addicted to Softballfans
i just want to throw in my 2cents... proper running technique, driving from toes, longest stride you can take, arm movement will help to increase speed. Running hills helps, also good ankle and hip mobility are keys. Sprints, high legs, and leg and core training. I've seen people with terrible ankle mobility unable to do squats correctly.

drive805

Addicted to Softballfans
a correct squat is being able to keep your feet on the ground, not lifting your heals, back straight, getting down to at least parallel with straight knee alignment, not turning knees in, head up chest out, breath in hold it squat down breath out as your standing !!

drive805

Addicted to Softballfans
head up meaning, keep your chin off your chest, alot of people look down when squatting that puts them in a bad position causing them to lean forward which makes their squat a low back exercise instead of leg. looking up will help if you tend to look down, but just looking forward or keeping your head up works!

wcoastsoftball

head up meaning, keep your chin off your chest, alot of people look down when squatting that puts them in a bad position causing them to lean forward which makes their squat a low back exercise instead of leg. looking up will help if you tend to look down, but just looking forward or keeping your head up works!

I have my athletes tuck the chin into the neck and look "down" or ahead at a distance (not straight down). The problem with looking "up" is it puts undue stress on the cervical spine and lumbar spine. Keeping chin tucked and eyes ahead will allow the spine to be long, stable and straight.

tap2284

Couldn't have said it better Wcoast. I like to cue a double chin to keep the cervical spine in alignment. I use it for a lot of different exercises (TRX Row, deadlift, push-up) as well so the athlete understands it well. It's taught to them early on as well..... How to make a double chin