How to make your bat NOT be the "team bat"

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans
My very first season of softball I had the only bat on the team (someone else had a hammer lol) so it got used and abused every week and every BP session. It didn't break but I retired that bat after 2 seasons of team use.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I've never had an issue with letting others swing my bats. I've also never had anyone throw my bat against the fence, though. If you don't want guys using your bats, just tell them. They should respect your property and your wishes.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
The teams i play on, everyone has their own bats. If someone wants to swing mine, they ask and I usually dont have a problem with it. I have two of the same bat and I keep the tournament gamer in the bag at league. They know bats are expensive and to handle with care.

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
The bats I bring out of the bag are up for grabs. If you want to use it you can with me. Don't slam my bat though. I can! it's mine, but someone throws or slams my bat. We have words and let it be known that yes you're frustrated about your at bat, but you break my bat it's going to get a whole lot worse

nam2212

Dr. Nick
I don't care at all if anyone uses my bat. As long as they aren't tossing it around or slamming it against something then who cares? It makes it easier that I swing a 28oz and everyone else on the team swings a 26oz though. I still would not care if I had 26oz bats.

cyoung187

Coach
I don't mind teammate swinging my bats. Any bat that could use any break-in at all I put on the fence. A good chunk of them have their own bats now which were mostly bought off of me. There was a time when someone swung my bat, popped out, then lost it and chucked it pretty hard at the fence. I flipped out and told him never to touch my **** again. Some guys just have no clue how much these things cost.

sjury

The Old Man
My teams usually have a good "selection" of bats, but there are always 3 or 4 guys that do not bring a bat, or use the POS they bring. It only took one guy a few years back to toss a bat and the whole team got on him. But it's up to the owner of the bat on who can use it and when it's used. It's Wisconsin and if it's 50 degrees out, there are guys asking where certain bats are and the owner just says it's too cold and they swing something else. As a team you should have enough respect for each other to not abuse someone else's equipment or go into their bag without permission. It's like going into his wife's purse for beer money.

Bolusu

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't be such a good hitter. Hit 5-hoppers to SS every AB. Nobody will use your bat.

lol, quoted for truth, seems like someone hits a good shot or puts one over the fence and everyone wants to hit with the same bat.

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
My very first season of softball I had the only bat on the team (someone else had a hammer lol) so it got used and abused every week and every BP session. It didn't break but I retired that bat after 2 seasons of team use.

:confused: if it didn't break why did u retire it? unless it was just a crappy bat to start with it should be pretty hot if you have thousands of hits on it

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
The best way to handle it is to talk to them. Guy used my j2 last season popped up and threw my j2 about 20 feet straight up in the air. I simply stormed out of the dug out, cursed at him in front of everyone. And after suggesting for him to buy his own bats and never to touch mine the problem was solved...

This^^^ If its not your bat you have no right to treat it that way. If they didnt drop the couple hundred bucks (or whatever) to buy the bat, they hit and toss it down. If they dont understand that, then they dont get to use your bats at all.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
Most of are guys have there own bat but a league team I play with that's got some good power hitters has only 2 guys other than me with a bat, I just ask them not to use It unless you ask but he other guys hav broke like 4 bats In 3 months

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
does anyone else hate it even more when you need your team to win the game in the bottom of the 7th and they walk up to the plate with 2 outs swinging a hammer or **** log of a bat instead of one of yours? I mean, if everyone on my team swung my firestix we would win every game hands down

low0r

The Veteran
Ive been wondering about this myself. After receiving a few over the winter, im not sure I want people using the one that doesnt have a warranty...

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I mean don't get me wrong I want my team to hit good, but one of the guys on my team who usually goes yard flied out, got pissed and slammed my bat down harder than he swung it at the ball.

It kinda ticked me off. Am I being a nancy and that's just part of it? Or do most guys swing their own bats or what???????

are you an adult? do you know how to ask people not to use your stuff? do you let anyone just drive ur car? grow some ****ing balls and speak your mind and quit being a push-over *****. thats how you make ur bat a not-team bat.

or you just tell everyone that if they break it, they can pay you a certain amount of money. but you have to put it out there. its quite simple.

midnight89

Bat Huer
Not an issue on the tournament teams however there are a couple guys in league ball that like to try out/use my bats. I've been very clear about my expectations (below) and haven't had one problem.

1. If you're the unlucky guy swinging it when it breaks, we'll discuss paying for it after the game. Expect to pay half of what it would cost to replace it. If I have a gamer with 2,000 swings, I usually let everyone know that it might be on its last leg and they might want to start swinging the next one that needs to be broken in.

2. I don't throw or abuse my bats and you don't get to either. Don't make that mistake.

After years of making this clear, I have only a few guys that still swing my bats, each of them is respectful of it and the on deck guy usually hands my bat to the guy in the dugout (as opposed to just slinging it over by the fence). There a running joke on the teams about not tossing people's bats -- makes me proud!

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
This is one of the added benefits to swinging 30's, but pretty much every team I play on has about 2-3 bats per person so it is not really a problem

Bolusu

Addicted to Softballfans
1. If you're the unlucky guy swinging it when it breaks, we'll discuss paying for it after the game. Expect to pay half of what it would cost to replace it. If I have a gamer with 2,000 swings, I usually let everyone know that it might be on its last leg and they might want to start swinging the next one that needs to be broken in.

I like this idea but what do you do when they break a bat? If they don't have the money to buy themselves a decent bat or they don't want to use their money to buy a decent bat why would they give someone money for a bat they can't even use anymore. At the end of the day unless you get really nasty about and go do something you might regret, the worst that can happen is that the guy who broke it won't be on the team anymore, then what?, you still have a broken bat.

I'm just saying, how far would you go to get the guy who broke your bat to pay you?

dish0005

'murica!
Talking usually helps when I want to communicate. Your spine keeps you upright it's time to use it.
Grab your balls and say something.

brennen15

Addicted to Softballfans
My '09 Titan is on its last leg and hot as piss. a few people on league team got mad when I said that bats a no go. But it's only the people who wanna play ball and not buy good equipment. If u wanna play a sport come prepared to play. You don't go fishing without a pole and tackle do ya?? (Unless ur one of the crazies that catfish with your hands!)

jjbeekman

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a girl on co-ed fall ball (its 40 degrees) pull my avarice out of my bag every at bat quess I didnt mind so much cause she stuck out every time. But still come on:mad:

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
U can still hear the whining here..lol. Its done a lot to clean up the bat issues in the league though...its nice to see the guys that use to hit massive bombs with there 30 cut shavers now come back to reality;) One good thing is I am in with all the directors of the leagues and I got 2 out of the 3 to go with easton...Helmers/wegmans...so its just like hitting my gamers so I like it:D

Well done sir!

rocketman98

Starting Player
I let my wife use my bat on her women's team one time. I didn't mind it being used, except when one lady was too lazy to pick the bat up and drug it from the dugout to the batters box. I was not happy. I talked to my wife about it and she understood. When it happened again in the same game my wife put it up for me.

I dont care if people use my bats, especially if they are replacing their metal ones. I just want my bats treated with the same respect I treat them. If they cant respect my stuff, then they are put in the bag to be kept safe.

Thankfully I have not seen anyone throw my bat against the fence. I would come unglued before they got to first base.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I'm kinda weird about people swinging my bats. If they ask, I'm completely ok with it, if they just pick it up like it's theirs I tell them it's not for open use. Guess it's just a respect thing.

I have had someone go into my bag and grab all the bats out after I specifically brought a bat for the team to use which wad better than their selection. I was subbing on a church team and it was the pastor, was the only the only time I remember being so surprised I didn't say anything right then.

My team is kinda quirky too, bunch of baseball players so a 30 doesn't bother them. They also know nothing of softball bats and play wood league baseball. They have a tendency to change a lot and swing whatever someone got a good looking hit with. I've had several good team bat options that just sit so I've sold them off and picking up an ultimate weapon with the new stamps and they at least have a decent option to use if they don't have their own.

Chris21er

Star Player
but pretty much every team I play on has about 2-3 bats per person so it is not really a problem

x 2 But in my thursday league night i just tell eveyone u break u buy and no one swings them LOL my buddies still do but they have bats to cover if anything happens

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Most of the teams I play on are SBF guys so everyone has a roller full of bats. I have played on teams where I brought most of the bats too. Grow a set of balls and tell dude to treat your bat with respect of buy one of his own. Most decent people will realize they were in the wrong and appolgise, if he does anything other than that tell him not to use your bats.

Eddie.sin

Part Time Player
Dafuq? I would have a been, idc if I look like a 2 year old by getting mad, if he didn't help pay for the bat he shouldn't be throwing my bat down. I don't get why grown men do this in the first place smh.