How to stop shaving bats.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's funny because to me, the best ball to compromise on is the stadium. 47/400, performs well, bounces true, and is safer than a 44 or 40 Cor imo. People used to think these were the hottest balls ever, and with a super hot composite they can be, but I don't think they're as easy to hit nasty as a cold classic m.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or a 50/400. We hit the 44/400 in wsl and it's a decently balanced ball imo. Way better than the classic m.

Joker

well with the vision there was no access to the interior of the bat. giving people easier access to the interior of the bat is not the solution

goalie31

Addicted to Softballfans
Somthing like a light strong metal thread or a strong composite thread on both end cap and top of barrle Deep enough at the top of the barrel to hold the cap on. Somthing in that nature. Take it off and Look down to see if it's cut. Just a though or Bat with no end cap

rpw019

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the same as joker. cor is how "bouncy", compression is how much energy it takes to compress. less is softer ball.

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
High cor and low compression is a safe ball so yes joker be wrong...... pretty much why asa went with the 52/300 ball

Joker

you want a softer ball so it won't break bones. that is what the compression determines

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'd be open to trying out the 48/300 but I wouldn't go any lower then the current 52/275's Anything beyond those I feel are too bouncy and unpredictable. If you go too soft guys won't want to play anymore cause they can't hit it like they use to.

I actually like .52 275/300s. They feel how a softball ought to. Classic Ms and .44 375s are rocks. I too have seen guys get drilled in the head by .52s and not even be hurt by them. The same can't be said of .44s hitting someone in the head.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The higher the cor, the more elastic it is, meaning it will deform more when it strikes the bat, or person. The compression is also an important factor, possibly more important, but certainly not the only one. When the ball deforms, it spreads out and spreads the impact over a greater area, lessening the damaging force.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
the cor isn't what helps safety, the compression does

Not so. It's kind of a combination of both. However, a high cor. ball is going to be inherently softer than a lower cor. ball of the same compression. Take classic Ms for example. .40 cor, 325 compression. Take a .50 ball and make it 325 compression and the .50 ball will be softer. This applies most in cold weather. Classic Ms can easily reach 600 compression in the cold. Something like a .52 300 don't have any changes in compression.

Classic Ms have very inflexible cores. In cold weather that translates into MUCH higher compression than noted on the ball. .52 300 cores are obviously more flexible/bouncy. That means they don't stiffen in the cold like a .40 cor does.

.40 balls in any compression are rocks. .40 400s are the hardest balls I've ever hit.

Today's bats aren't even really meant to hit anything other than .52s. We all know that if you start hitting ZN classic Ms with a Miken or Worth you'll get probably 100 swings total out of it before it breaks. USSSA is the last major holdout using hard balls. If USSSA got rid of classic Ms and kept classic +s you'd see a lot less incidences of bat shaving.

Joker

you take a 52/300 and a 52/400 and the 52/400 is going to do more damage
you take a 52/300 and a 42/300 and they are going to do about the same damage

just because it bounces off the bone faster does't help when it already broke from being hit by something harder

Joker

not saying that certain combos aren't safer than others. those are some weird combos that would never be considered for use for safety or performance

52/275-300 offers the best combo of performance and safety. a 40/275 is going to be safer in the real world cause that ball is going to be dog**** when its hit, not so sure it would be safer in a testing environment

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
The only time anyone swings any glass around here where it's pretty apparent is always when utrip is being played. I don't know if guys just stopped using them for ASA or if the 52 cor balls just don't make that much of an obvious difference as the classic M's when hitting them with a cheater stick.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Guy I know bought a shaved J3U off the bay for his wife to use in coed. Funny thing is we were playing ASA coed, so not only did he seem like a douche, but also got a bat he couldn't use. I hit it a few times in BP and I honestly didn't notice a difference hitting 52's

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
not saying that certain combos aren't safer than others. those are some weird combos that would never be considered for use for safety or performance

52/275-300 offers the best combo of performance and safety. a 40/275 is going to be safer in the real world cause that ball is going to be dog**** when its hit, not so sure it would be safer in a testing environment
It will be thrown at the same speed and will do a lot more damage when it makes contact with the person, especially if it's cold out. The lower cor balls compression increases a lot more due to the cold. Your examples above are not very accurate by the way.

With the 52s you're right, but the extra 100 pounds of compression doesn't make as big a difference as you're thinking. You seem to think it's the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the 40/300 did more damage than the 52/400. I know below 60 degrees it will.

A 40/400 is going to do way more damage than a 52/400. There is no definitive cor is always more important or compression is always more important when it comes to damage done on impact or safety. I personally feel that cor is more important because with the wrong compression it's way more dangerous, and the way it becomes a rock when it's cooler out. Not only does it make it a more dangerous ball at almost any compression, but it makes it a significantly different ball your first game of the tourney and when you play again at three in the afternoon.

tattooball

It is really pretty simple, cor is how long the ball will stay in contact with what ever it hits. The longer the ball stays in contact the more energy is transferred into what ever it hits. The lower the cor the longer it stays in contact. When I developed the .52 ball back in 05-06 many very important things were discovered about impacts. I did all kinds of testing from on field to lab testing. higher cor is always going to be safer.

Country469

Awwww Kevy remember when we hit 52s out at botertourt together?

FTR Tattoo and JBO are correct here and IDK where the **** joker came from but usually he isnt that far off

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is pretty funny to see though. Should we subject him to the same "what you think has nothing to do with facts" type of comments he's been doling out for years? Ironic that this is so close in time to that other thread.

Joker

you still think it's only the cor that can make the ball safer? i'm on the it's a combo of both now

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It will be thrown at the same speed and will do a lot more damage when it makes contact with the person, especially if it's cold out. The lower cor balls compression increases a lot more due to the cold. Your examples above are not very accurate by the way.

With the 52s you're right, but the extra 100 pounds of compression doesn't make as big a difference as you're thinking. You seem to think it's the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the 40/300 did more damage than the 52/400. I know below 60 degrees it will.

A 40/400 is going to do way more damage than a 52/400. There is no definitive cor is always more important or compression is always more important when it comes to damage done on impact or safety. I personally feel that cor is more important because with the wrong compression it's way more dangerous, and the way it becomes a rock when it's cooler out. Not only does it make it a more dangerous ball at almost any compression, but it makes it a significantly different ball your first game of the tourney and when you play again at three in the afternoon.

This is all correct. .40 400s are the nastiest, hardest balls I've ever seen. They aren't fun to hit and they destroy bats quickly. A .52 400 ball would be quite a bit softer than a .40 400 ball. It really is a combo of cor/compression that makes a suitable ball. It wasn't any accident that .52 300 was what was chosen as a safer alternative by NSA and ASA. I don't think they're too bouncy to field either.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
So what cor/comp is the best for breaking in a new glove? That's usually where I get hit by the ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what cor/comp is the best for breaking in a new glove? That's usually where I get hit by the ball.
Cannonball.

I've never been able to tell the comp of a ball by being hit with it. I can tell if it's a classic m most times though.