HR"One Up" Rule - Local Leagues

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
I am looking for some clarification and/or common practices when it comes to the often used One Up Rule in regards to Home Runs. USA Softball of Michigan is looking to add this to the Men's Master's program for 2019 and I am finding what is being discussed a bit odd.

In your games, leagues or tournaments where there is the One Up Rule, are teams allowed to hit an additional HR in the bottom of the 7th to go one up on an opponent if HR's are tied at that point?

Thanks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
When using the “one-up” rule, the home team is not allowed to go one up in the bottom of the 7th inning. Both teams must have an equal chance to hit as many home runs as the other.

lb16

the natural
Yep. IMO, from the beginning, it is a bad ruling. If it is one up, it should apply to the entire game, not just the first 6 1/2 innings
irishmafia. I agree with you on most of your replies not this one. The one up rule is to equal the homeruns for both teams. Look at it this way both teams are in the one up mode top 7 visiting hits there 6th HR to go one up hits there 7th HR for an out. Bottom 7 home teams hits 6th Hr to tie on Hr's and then hits there 7th to win game. In this scenario the home team would always have the advantage with Hr's to hit. The basis of the rule is to have equal Hr's for both team which you can't have if home team can go up one in btm 7.

lanikeas

O2BSURFN
Yep. IMO, from the beginning, it is a bad ruling. If it is one up, it should apply to the entire game, not just the first 6 1/2 innings

I agree with Irish on this one, should rename the rule the "One Up, unless you win the coin toss Rule"

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The basis of the rule is to have equal Hr's for both team which you can't have if home team can go up one in btm 7.

And if the HR's are tied in the top of the 7th and the visiting team doesn't hit any, then they had 7 innings to hit homeruns and the home team only gets 6.

Our local leagues (and most tournaments) use a +2 HR rule with no special provisions for the 7th inning. You go into the bottom of the 7th with the other guys up 2 HR's, you have the opportunity to hit 4.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
irishmafia. I agree with you on most of your replies not this one. The one up rule is to equal the homeruns for both teams. Look at it this way both teams are in the one up mode top 7 visiting hits there 6th HR to go one up hits there 7th HR for an out. Bottom 7 home teams hits 6th Hr to tie on Hr's and then hits there 7th to win game. In this scenario the home team would always have the advantage with Hr's to hit. The basis of the rule is to have equal Hr's for both team which you can't have if home team can go up one in btm 7.

Why isn't 3 homeruns per team "equal"?

longball101

Part Time Player
Should do what this league I am playing in does. Ump has a set if dice, at the beginning of the game 1 person from each team rolls a die, the total combined number is what both teams are allowed to hit, so you may 2 or you may get 12, different every game and adds a little twist.

lb16

the natural
And if the HR's are tied in the top of the 7th and the visiting team doesn't hit any, then they had 7 innings to hit homeruns and the home team only gets 6.

You're looking at innings not Hr's which is what we are discussing. Look at it this way you are are playing in a 3 Hr and out league. Visiting team hits all 3 Hr's in 1st inning. Home team doesn't hit their 3rd Hr until bottom 7. In your scenario visiting team only had 1 inning to hit 3 Hr's home team had 7. Seems kinda dumb worded that way in this scenario now doesn't it! You are trying to make Hr's EVEN!! That is the point of the rule!! And no I am not calling you dumb just trying to prove a point!!

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
In your scenario, one team burns their homeruns early and is essentially punished by the rule. Which is fair, they suffer a consequence for not managing their homeruns.

In my scenario, the home team suffers a consequence for winning the coin toss or being the higher-seeded team in a playoff game. I don't think either of those two things should be punished.

And the purpose of the rule isn't to make the homeruns even. It's to prevent teams in lower-level leagues/tournaments from loading up on homerun hitters and dominating. I still think that if the HR rule is +2, either team should be able to go up by 2 at ANY point in the game.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Our local leagues (and most tournaments) use a +2 HR rule with no special provisions for the 7th inning. You go into the bottom of the 7th with the other guys up 2 HR's, you have the opportunity to hit 4.

I was never a fan of this rule. IMO, you play at a level that has a limit and that is it. This rule was born out of teams whining about HR limits, but still didn't want to play at a higher level

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I was never a fan of this rule. IMO, you play at a level that has a limit and that is it. This rule was born out of teams whining about HR limits, but still didn't want to play at a higher level

I personally hate any rule regarding homeruns. When bats get to the point that you need special rules to prevent you from actually swinging them, that's a sign that it's time to tone down the gear. Unfortunately, the majority rules. And the majority of players are unathletic, lazy whiners who see nothing wrong with buying homeruns.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure why you quoted me with your reply? 3 hr's per team is equal. Just like 6 per team is equal in my scenario.
If the home team can go one up in the bottom of the last inning then that is not "equal". Equal means the same number. The rule doesn't take into account the number of opportunities you have to hit home runs. It gives you the number of home runs you can hit. The one up rule is NOT a good rule in my opinion. If you want to hit more home runs than the limit, play up. If you don't want to play up stop whining about the rules and play the game. And this is not directed at you specifically...just players in general.

lb16

the natural
If the home team can go one up in the bottom of the last inning then that is not "equal". Equal means the same number. The rule doesn't take into account the number of opportunities you have to hit home runs. It gives you the number of home runs you can hit. The one up rule is NOT a good rule in my opinion. If you want to hit more home runs than the limit, play up. If you don't want to play up stop whining about the rules and play the game. And this is not directed at you specifically...just players in general.
Kinda the same thing I was implying all the replies keep going on about innings and when they are hit. When the rule is to have the same # of Hr's hypothetically for both teams. And I am not saying I am for or against either just trying to get people to understand the meaning of the rule. Which for some reason is harder than you would think!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If you want to hit more home runs than the limit, play up. If you don't want to play up stop whining about the rules and play the game. And this is not directed at you specifically...just players in general.

The problem as I see it is with the bats. It's too easy to hit homeruns at ANY level. There are so many guys that can easily put balls over the fence but can't play the field to save their lives, if they played up they'd get killed.

I'd love to see associations go with alloy or even wood bats at the lower levels. It would accomplish so much; limit homeruns, make the game safer for less skilled players, and reduce sandbagging. But ASA and USSSA get paid for those little stamps they put on bats, they don't want to see bat sales drop any more than the manufacturers do.

baseman

in your face nancy grace

However the visiting team has the chance to go up one in the top of the inning so the home team should be able to in the bottom. We did away with the extra HRs being outs so guys who didn't know how to place the ball but hit it hard. We have it as a double.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
However the visiting team has the chance to go up one in the top of the inning so the home team should be able to in the bottom. We did away with the extra HRs being outs so guys who didn't know how to place the ball but hit it hard. We have it as a double.

Baseman, if you want to hit homeruns, then play up. Its quite simple.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

IOW, dummying down the game to accommodate the inability of the players to control themselves

lanikeas

O2BSURFN
Everyone seems to be forgetting or not mentioning that the visiting team can never exceed the original limit in their first at-bat. I.E. if the limit is 2 HR (+1Up), the visitor cannot hit 3 in the top of the 1st inning without penalty. No one ever complains about that, but everyone has an opinion about the 7th inning.

Personally, I think you should be able to go up if you're using the "up rule". But I don't complain when my team loses the coin toss and the home team can't take advantage. lol

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Guys, keep in mind that the one-up rule was NOT written for anything other than Men's Senior Slow Pitch, and it's only allowed in Majors and Major Plus. They're already "playing up," so they have earned the privilege of going one up.

Also, Senior SP rules handle innings differently. When time expires, you finish the inning and play one more (unless time expires in the 7th inning). This doesn't give anyone an advantage when it comes to "one up."

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The league I umpire for instituted the 1 up HR rule a couple years ago. The players seem to like it and occasionally you see a game where teams will go 1 up several times.

The rule in our league is that the home team CAN go 1 up in the bottom of the 7th (or whichever inning is the last inning- time permitting), but NOT to win the game. If they're down several runs and want to hit a HR, fine. They just can't hit a walkoff 1 up HR. In 2 years I've never seen this particular situation arise, but I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

4xtra

Player/Coach
They call the 1 up rule here where we play "equalizer"

In co-ed ASA that is pretty much the rule in all of the Co-ed leagues that I have played in...
In mens 52/300 that is also the rule across the board.

BUT
In 40+ they allow 6 HR's a side in USSSA (Classic M)

No kidding...and believe me, we took FULL advantage of that.........

They really think that the 40+ guys cannot hit HR's.....SMH
I have honestly seen WAY more HR's in 40+ than open REC.