HR rule change for D in 2016

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Real easy way to severely limit the sandbagging. Have worlds for only C and above. Nothing higher than States for E and Nationals for D. I actually saw an E team be somewhat competitive at a C national they played in so they could go to E worlds.

PPC#12

Manager
The reality is home run rules don't change anything in terms of where people play, I have never once heard a softball player say they were playing up because they wanted more home runs. E has the dumbest and most strict home run limits and still there were more teams at the combined E worlds than he rest of the levels put together. All the super strict home run rules do nothing but make the game less fun to play. My opinion, home runs should never be more than an out, instead of harsh home run limits that don't actually do anything, state directors need to do their jobs and force players to play where they belong.

^^^^this.... This is perfect

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
The reality is home run rules don't change anything in terms of where people play, I have never once heard a softball player say they were playing up because they wanted more home runs. E has the dumbest and most strict home run limits and still there were more teams at the combined E worlds than he rest of the levels put together. All the super strict home run rules do nothing but make the game less fun to play. My opinion, home runs should never be more than an out, instead of harsh home run limits that don't actually do anything, state directors need to do their jobs and force players to play where they belong.

I agree 100%

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Real easy way to severely limit the sandbagging. Have worlds for only C and above. Nothing higher than States for E and Nationals for D. I actually saw an E team be somewhat competitive at a C national they played in so they could go to E worlds.

Wouldn't work....too much money would be lost. All that would happen is that EAJuggao Sport Association would come along and offer "Worlds" at a lower level and make a killing.

RHound said it best when he said that Directors have to do their job and hold players/teams accountable for what division they play. He said it poorly though when he said strict HR penalties just make it less fun......uhm as a player you have an option to not play at that level. If IE penalty isn't fun, then play at a level where that isn't an issue. But yeah, I agree Directors have the ability to limit the whole "playing down" saga.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Wouldn't work....too much money would be lost. All that would happen is that EAJuggao Sport Association would come along and offer "Worlds" at a lower level and make a killing.

RHound said it best when he said that Directors have to do their job and hold players/teams accountable for what division they play. He said it poorly though when he said strict HR penalties just make it less fun......uhm as a player you have an option to not play at that level. If IE penalty isn't fun, then play at a level where that isn't an issue. But yeah, I agree Directors have the ability to limit the whole "playing down" saga.

The point of the rule is to make people play up, sure they have the option to play up but real question is do the rules actually cause more people to play up and the resounding answer is no, they just have players playing in tournaments where no one likes the rules.

And you are totally right about the first part, while removing worlds from lower levels to force people to move up sounds like it would work, it will never happen because it would cost that association a ton of money.

FWIW It looks like USSSA is making an effort to fix the 75% of teams playing E thing. The list that got released of team bumped actually includes teams that did well or are good not the just the usual 10 team who finished top 10. For the first time in a long time Nor. Cal may actually have a D program that is more than 6 teams. They also included a note that teams would be left at that rank until they played a season that rank. Hopefully that means the mass of players getting reranked so they can play E will stop. Now if only they had a national rankings system and a national limits of how many chips can be on a roster so the Nor. Cal director can stop sending teams with 8 D players and 4 players re-ranked to E players to E worlds.

Last edited:
My opinion is that D should still have zero HRs. Adding the 2 HRs made the gap between E and D even bigger because more guys that should/could play C moved/stayed down in D once they gave them bombs. So now they are trying to fix that mistake by making it IEO after the limit. They should just take the 2 HRs away and make them outs like it used to be.

There should homeruns allowed at every level. Its under hand pitch softball. Homeruns don't dictate your skill level. Teams stay down/stack/sandbag you name it to ring chase. The homerun rules have very little affect on much of this.
Look at E nationally. Highest numbers and most participation by a large margin and its no homeruns and IEO.

Eugene84

Starting Player
I don't think C players play down in D just bc you get 2 home runs. We have a decent C class here in north Texas but every year teams get bumped to C and they all break up and go play as bumps on D teams for a year. I am going to be C for 2016 and played on 3 C teams in the last few weeks. I am looking forward to playing up and working on my game

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think C players play down in D just bc you get 2 home runs. We have a decent C class here in north Texas but every year teams get bumped to C and they all break up and go play as bumps on D teams for a year. I am going to be C for 2016 and played on 3 C teams in the last few weeks. I am looking forward to playing up and working on my game

Too bad the other 98% of softball players don't share the same attitude

dbantz

Manager
People are looking at this the opposite way I look at it. What about the D or E player that never played baseball or any other sport for that matter, but is strong as an ox and bats .250 in softball and has no control of his stick whatsoever, but when he does get a hit half of them are home runs. The game is pushing these guys that are just now learning it away. You can't put them on a lower level team to learn the game because they are a detriment to their team. Who wants to add one of these guys to their team and take the IE lumps while he learns the game? Basically you have to let them play league ball since there is no place in tourney ball for them.

People are looking at this the opposite way I look at it. What about the D or E player that never played baseball or any other sport for that matter, but is strong as an ox and bats .250 in softball and has no control of his stick whatsoever, but when he does get a hit half of them are home runs. The game is pushing these guys that are just now learning it away. You can't put them on a lower level team to learn the game because they are a detriment to their team. Who wants to add one of these guys to their team and take the IE lumps while he learns the game? Basically you have to let them play league ball since there is no place in tourney ball for them.

True statement. There is no "entry level" tourney ball in usssa anymore. That is what E use to be but no longer is. Most don't realize but the lack of NEW and YOUNG players/teams due to this is ruining the sport.

worthguy

Addicted to Softballfans
they should get rid of all hr limits and make e single-wall, d double-wall, and c+ composite

Was gonna say the same thing. Why dumb the rules down when you can just dumb the bats down? This all stems for the manufacturers trying to sell a hotter better bat, and we gobble it up like a fat kid loves cake. Make it wood for all I care. This is softball, I want to be able to go out there and swing out of my a$$, not golf where it is a finesse shot at a tee. Can't stand it when a 6'5" 300lb dude sits up there with a baby swing to put a texas-leaguer over the infield.

Instead we demand manufacturers sell us the hottest bats. I've seen guys that could barley make it to the outfielders with the old aluminum or wood bats and now they step up to the plate and accidentally hit one over...

I don't care what level you play at one of the best feelings in baseball/softball is hitting a home-run, why keep that from people? If people sand bag and go 30-0 in a season bump them up, problem solved...the math is quite simple, look at all the professional teams out there, records are all around 50% win to loss ratio. If you have that in all league I'd say you have a far league, right? Hell, you don't even need the bats to change for that...\

But in reality we would all be complaining about something else if they still allowed homeruns, shooot we might even be arguing to make the homerun rule:cool:

ImtheSlugger

Addicted to Softballfans
E--wood bats, D Alum. and C and greater composite.

And of course make the balls in the lower leagues rocks again.

But at the end of the day everyone wants to be the best one level below what they should be playing. Makes their odds better to achieve their boyhood dreams of championship glory.