Hydrographic'd, Painted, and Sharpied my Worth Pitching Mask

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
So I decided to "decorate" my worth pitching mask to match the team I am pitching for this year - Geico A-team - Green and Black uniforms. I decided to go with a lizard head mask. I even hydrodipped the bottom padded chin piece so that it would look like the bottom of the mouth opened. I used the chameleon pearlescent hydrographic base after sanding off the worth decals. After this, I painted the eyes and nostrils. When I was done, I thought it looked good, but like the eyes stuck out too much compared to the bright green. After reading the sharpie thread two days ago, I decided to sharpie scales on my mask. So after 3 hours yesterday, I had it all "scaled out" in sharpie. Today I began clear coating it with UV clear coat to protect the sharpie. I havent finished all the clear coats, but decided to share how it is so far.

Let me know what you think... mask changes color depending on the light... dark green to a strange purplish haze... prolly from the chameleon pearlescent and sharpie scales.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Sorry bro but its fuggin ridiculous that people need to wear that level of protection to play this game.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
...coming from one of the original bat doctors. :rolleyes:

Definitely "original" in what he did but it was being done way before him, he also stopped doing it a LONG time ago, and it's 10000000X worse now then it ever was back in the 90's...

And he's right, having to wear protection to protect yourself like a hockey goalie to play a recreational sport because of cheating is sad...I've never seen infielders having to wear face protection until the last couple of years and it's sad...

That being said, very nice job on the mask...

rocketman98

Starting Player
It looks great. I hope you never have to put it to use in a game. I am switching from a worth mask to a lacrosse helmet and everyone including my wife is laughing at me. First shot I am taking off the dome I am going to laugh back at them.

J-Bonez

Starting Player
.I've never seen infielders having to wear face protection until the last couple of years and it's sad...

If I have to play the hot corner for my tourney team I am definitly getting face protection!! I'm too damn pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:

MBplayer

Canadian Bat *****
It doesnt matter if the guy is swining glass or stock if you get hit in the face its gonna mess **** up. People dont only wear these because of the cheaters out there!

MB:cool:

rocketman98

Starting Player
I agree. I took a ball to the top of my knee on a chopped ball and I barely walked the rest of the day. I would rather spend $200 on a helmet than thousands of dollars on surgery.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never seen infielders having to wear face protection until the last couple of years and it's sad...
It doesnt matter if the guy is swining glass or stock if you get hit in the face its gonna mess **** up. People dont only wear these because of the cheaters out there!

MB:cool:
Yeah, I wear a mask at third because of the fields, not because of the bats.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
Definitely "original" in what he did but it was being done way before him, he also stopped doing it a LONG time ago, and it's 10000000X worse now then it ever was back in the 90's...

And he's right, having to wear protection to protect yourself like a hockey goalie to play a recreational sport because of cheating is sad...I've never seen infielders having to wear face protection until the last couple of years and it's sad...

That being said, very nice job on the mask...

I'm getting a rip it type mask due to balls taking bad hops. The hops are what messes the IF up not line drives. It doesn't take a cut bat to be hit hard and take a bad hop.

warningtrackpwr

Addicted to Softballfans
Our SS took a line drive knuckleball to the jaw last year at Church Worlds. Messed him up bad, the ball was smoked. Line drives do still exist, and cut bats are more prevalent than ever. Protect yourself.

Resin Glazed

The Veteran
Last year a ball hopped off the lip of where the infield meets the outfield and broke the 3rd baseman's nose, and that was with a clincher.

Never see guys wearing these except for pitchers but better safe than sorry.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I took a ball to the top of my knee on a chopped ball and I barely walked the rest of the day. I would rather spend $200 on a helmet than thousands of dollars on surgery.

The point is we were basically hitting Launch 650s back in the day, and with singlewalls the chances of you getting hit in the face was still tiny. Even the stock bats are stupid hot now.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last year a ball hopped off the lip of where the infield meets the outfield and broke the 3rd baseman's nose, and that was with a clincher.

Never see guys wearing these except for pitchers but better safe than sorry.

Why was the 3B playing in the grass?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dennis Rulli was playing pretty far back at the BB. I'm sure less than five strides back he'd be on green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ADKEKLG6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not sure if you understand my point or not. I'll assume you don't, and ask you why one of the best 3B in the game would take 5 strides backwards away from a ground ball, and if he could, why would he? Anyone hit in the face by a groundball was playing in the grass to begin with at third.

My point was the bats are too hot, and that's illustrated by why a guy would be playing third in the grass. It just further solidifies it. I'm a horrible infielder, and back in the day I played third pretty much even with the bag.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure if you understand my point or not. I'll assume you don't, and ask you why one of the best 3B in the game would take 5 strides backwards away from a ground ball, and if he could, why would he? Anyone hit in the face by a groundball was playing in the grass to begin with at third.

My point was the bats are too hot, and that's illustrated by why a guy would be playing third in the grass. It just further solidifies it. I'm a horrible infielder, and back in the day I played third pretty much even with the bag.

I posted in reference to your comment about why a 3b would be on the grass. As shown in the first still, he's pretty far back there. I guess I should have said it's normal, that's why. Some guys like to stop the hop (as you mentioned playing with the bag - my preference also) first, and some like to confront it. ...and no, I didn't mean take five back while the ball approaches. Who does that?

Resin Glazed

The Veteran
Yeah he was playing right about there, suppose because the ball flys through the infield so quickly he wanted to keep it in front of him for a play?

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Helmet

It looks great. I hope you never have to put it to use in a game. I am switching from a worth mask to a lacrosse helmet and everyone including my wife is laughing at me. First shot I am taking off the dome I am going to laugh back at them.

I'm going to do some pitching this year and bought a lacrosse helmet as well. I've seen what a line drive can do to an unprotected face, not for me, I have a family to support and can't show up to work w/ a busted up face...

rocketman98

Starting Player
I agree although a busted face may make me look better. LOL

I had a catcher this weekend take a throw off her head and cut her head open, and that was a thrown ball. Made me glad I have a helmet. I am now debating a chest protector.