I am impressed.. 44 PRO Signature Series

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
  • I can't say whether they've upgraded or not as I've only seen the one.
  • It interesting that you'd compare a customized glove with one that retails for significantly more when stock.
  • If you're enamored with HOH, that's fine. I'm not & never have been. I was always an A2000 guy & I'd argue that the A2000 & the HOH are two different gloves from a whole lot of different perspectives.
  • I've talked about this before but it bears repeating........ The law of diminishing returns......... At what price point do you reach where the ratio between cost & a better product begins to decline? Where a product costs twice as much but ceases to be twice as good.
  • You want to compare? Let's compare! But let's equal the playing field. A $155 44 Pro Classic vs. a Rawlings Gamer Custom. Wilson doesn't have a comparable custom model. A stock Rawlings Gamer retails for $140. A custom Gamer goes for $230. There's a very good chance that the 44 Pro will win that matchup.
  • You want to compare a custom HOH? Go for it! But at well over double the price ($340) the HOH better damn well be better! Will it blow the 44 Pro completely away from a practical perspective? Probably not.........
  • As for what pros use? I couldn't care less! I've never been one to focus on such foolishness when making a decision on what I was going to use. If anything, I'd be more interested in what they used in the minors than I would what they use in the majors where they are being paid. I think you'd be surprised at how many of them switch once they go through the doors of that MLB clubhouse!

That was a lot... but i think theres a major disconnect. It was cool to break all that down and i appreciate the time and thought that went into it, but its as simple as this... if you are of the opinion from the onset that 44 are of a lesser quality and wont compate their steerhide to a heart of the hide or an a2000 then anything that follows has no bearing on the argument. Im simply saying that 44 steerhide and HOH dont even belong in the same arena. Simple as that. You seem to agree, so....... really, thats the only point I was trying to make...

Anthony essentialy showed us his cool new pickup and is of the opionion it stacks up to anyother glove in his pictures. Thats his opinion on 44 and as i mentioned i cant compare kip to kip as ive never had a 44 kip.
What i cant speak to is the steerhide, and in MY opinion- its not even close and the rest of my post was giving my thoughts to support that opinion. No thought was given to value in brands or msrp. I also remind you that theres no right answer. I hope i didnt upset.
As a sidenote, id agree that hoh and a2000 are very different gloves BUT when compared to tier 2 gloves they are on the same level and IMO can he lunped together in that regard. And, price aside bother better qlty (again imo) than 44. I thgt thats what the original conparison was to.

Last edited:

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
I have owned 2 44 pro sig series. Both gloves were great. I replaced the inserts and the lace but only because i prefer extremely stiff inserts. I will say that both of these modifications put the glove into the same discussion as the a2000's and the HoH's. i game my 44 pro over my sp125 most of the time but really its because the sp125 is a dime piece and i dont want it to receive the wear and tear that my 44 takes. It is definitely the best option out there to get a high quality glove that you can fully customize for under 175. I wont say that its better than the A2000 or HoH because to me that is very subjective.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
so you've never owned one and you're basing your opinion on other peoples reviews which you dont know if they are referring to an older model or even a different series of the glove but you are able to make an expert opinion on a glove that you have never owned? sounds about right. i have no dog in this fight because i could care less if someone buys one or not but i'm telling others that the 44 pro sig that i own is high quality and it will still be high quality even after your opinion is drowned out by other owners

DatDuke

no, i just think people have no clue what they are talking about. more that they don't know what high quality is

To set the story straight.. Here is how I base my review. Understanding that I am no where near some of the expert here with their knowledge in Baseball/Softball Gloves. But I have to be clear and un-bias to make this review. AND ITS JUST MY OWN OPINION.. giving that I welcome all counter replies. Please, if you would like to make an argument, provide us with some pictures, and facts to backup your points, just a single sentence wont help the forum. The forum doesn't need any more dramas or trolls.

Facts 1: I mostly purchase broken in gloves for my sons to use. Once they found a pattern and brand they love, they will then purchase a new one to break in.

Fact 2: I am no PRO nor have access to PRO-ISSUE items straight from the factories. Therefore all my customs or PIs are used and not tailor made to my specifications.

Fact 3: This 44 PRO Signature series is USED. and is the only 44 PRO I acquired. But I have been collecting for over 2 years, I compare this 44PRO with other used Gloves, and New (PROMOUND) Customs that I recently acquired.

Fact 4: Price Point is important for me when I make the comparison. Of course, this glove will not compare to the $450 Nike Elite J, or other New high end A2K or Rawlings PP, or Mizuno Pro Limited. I paid $70 for this 44 PRO, so I am comparing it to others used gloves I purchased recently. even with other HIGHEND used glove I purchased at substantially higher price tags. (i.e USED A2K, USED PP).

With these Facts, I made my assessment. I did not pull it out from thin air. With that said, my assessment was:

For the price I paid, the build quality is comparable to other High End (USED) AK2 and PP that I recently purchased. Mind that these High End gloves are also used and well broken in either by the orig. owner or by my sons. So when you are looking to purchase a USED high end gloves that are priced at $100-200 price range. This $70 44 PRO is very comparable. BUT if $$ is no object and you have access to PRO DEPARTMENT or have $$ to create your own masterpiece from Wilson or Rawlings.. These high end manufacturers WILL be and SHOULD be superior. (I cant make the assessment, see FACT 2). Comparing to other Small Customs Company i.e. PROMOUND, I do feel this 44 PROS beats the 2 Brand new PROMOUND I recently purchased @ $60 per. (I did make a review on the PROMOUNDs, you can find them here, just search using keyword "PM").

I typed long enough and don't really want to mislead the forum with my original assessment. again please take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. I am sober when I typed this. =) Stay Classy.

Last edited:

RustyShakleford

and i still say people don't know what they are talking about

i find it really hard to believe that any of these fly by night custom glove shops are going to produce a glove at the quality level of top end rawlings, mizuno, wilson, nike, nokona, or to a lesser extent a vinci

Last edited:

DatDuke

Give it a look when you have the chance.. that's all. Don't just take my or anyones word for it. I felt the same way b4 but when I saw this at the price the seller was asking, I took the chance and happy with the decision. You are right, I have no clue on what I'm talking about... You make your own assessments. I only know what I like and dislike.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
and i still say people don't know what they are talking about

i find it really hard to believe that any of these fly by night custom glove shops are going to produce a glove at the quality level of top end rawlings, mizuno, wilson, nike, nokona, or to a lesser extent a vinci

Josh,
I think we all know a 44Pro isn't at the same quality as a top-end glove from the Big 3 or 4 if you want to include Nike. Can we agree that it is similar to a mid-level (Gamer, MVP/Global Elite, A1K, MVP Select) glove from the big manufacturers at similar price points but fully custom?
I bought my son a Rise Series 44 Pro steerhide glove (made in China) and I am very happy with the craftsmanship and materials. $128 for a fully custom pretty doggone nice glove beats buying a retail GG Gamer in my book. I CAN NOT recommend any of the Classic Series made in Mexico junk.
If you wanted a good comparison, think of the Spalding Pro Select glove but with better internals (no leather-covered foam lining) and you've got the Signature Series 44 Pro, but with numerous color, customization and design options available.

MaverickAH

Dat Duke:
I own over 90 gloves, and I can attest. I also own some PI Rawlings and Wilsons. as well as pro limited Mizuno. Of course its my own opinion, take it for what its worth. I am impressed............
View attachment 30825 View attachment 30826 View attachment 30827

This is all the credentials you need for me to trust your opinion! As I said before, even though they say nothing about it on their website, I suspect that 44 Pro gloves are made in Taiwan based on their offerings & their appearance. I am familiar with other custom brands that are made in Taiwan & strongly suspect that they all come from the same OEM. I say all of this to say that I expect the 44 Pro's quality to be comparable to the brands I am familiar with. This would put them on the level of an A2000 or HOH.

As long as you understand that you'll always get some push back anytime you mention a brand being on the level of the big 3, you'll be okay. It comes with the territory. Stand in your own conviction!

I, myself have over 60 gloves in the house right now spread over 19 different brands (including the big 3). Most are upper level gloves but others are mid level & lower level. Some are used but most are brand new. Do I have everything? Of course not but, I do have enough of a variety to know what's out there quality-wise & to know that there are truly valid options to the big 3. I supplement my knowledge by visiting stores that carry a wide selection about 2 or 3 times a year to see what's current.

I have a heathy appreciation of many different brands. I don't buy into hype & I don't discriminate. I know enough to realize that saying that anything is the best is purely subjective.

DatDuke

Well said MaverickAH, please allow me to add into your reply, Glove made overseas especially Taiwan, the quality can also be all over the place. There is a seller on EBAY only import Taiwanese Gloves. I think his user id is Macotar? You might want to check his store out to see what is available. There are also smaller companies who have factories in Mexico who will apply whatever company logos on their Mass Produced Cookie Cutters patterns. (I think PROMOUND and Rolins are one of those). But 44PRO is different. they do have some PRO Supports, and Collegian Players Endorsement. They have a big range of Patterns. Hell they even have this: AMBIDEXTROUS
And the craftsmanship for my 44PRO "KIP" Custom is very close to the LeatherHead (Also imported) level. To me LeatherHead is above the mass produced HoH and A2000 you find in the Big Box Store.

Haha.. I didnt have to dig far.
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/44-pro-signature-series.1425861/

Last edited:

RustyShakleford

Josh,
I think we all know a 44Pro isn't at the same quality as a top-end glove from the Big 3 or 4 if you want to include Nike. Can we agree that it is similar to a mid-level (Gamer, MVP/Global Elite, A1K, MVP Select) glove from the big manufacturers at similar price points but fully custom?
I bought my son a Rise Series 44 Pro steerhide glove (made in China) and I am very happy with the craftsmanship and materials. $128 for a fully custom pretty doggone nice glove beats buying a retail GG Gamer in my book. I CAN NOT recommend any of the Classic Series made in Mexico junk.
If you wanted a good comparison, think of the Spalding Pro Select glove but with better internals (no leather-covered foam lining) and you've got the Signature Series 44 Pro, but with numerous color, customization and design options available.
those would be a fair comparison. some of these customs are made better than others but they are still mid to low to walmart level gloves that you're paying a premium for pretty colors and your name on them.

DatDuke

Other people's impressions. Not just my own words, since I have no clue what I am talking about, you can do your own research. they are everywhere.

This is the closest review to my glove.

I couldnt find any review on Walmart gloves from people who knows something with Baseball or from any Minor League players who use Walmart Gloves. so I can't say they are comparable.

DCT style PRO44, comparison with Rawlings from other people who knows Gloves. do Walmart has DCT style glove I can try?

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Josh,

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!
Thank you Dan, you said it great.
I think thats what the issue was here is the initial review read as (even if it was not what was actually meant) 44 pro is as good as Rawlings or Wilson etc. People might have gotten a little sensitive... but as DAN said - Its just NOT the same qlty as a top end glove.
Credentials for posting reviews can vary... anyone here as an interest in gloves so they've probably owned more than the avg person.
Thank god no one has, but getting into a pissing contest over who owns more gloves is silly because even the amount of gloves you own has no bearing on experience. I find neat mid range or old HOH at flea markets, garage sales thrift stores that sometimes i buy, sometimes i dont and I dont include as part of my "collection" but you still get to hold and check out SSSOOO many gloves.
I'd imagine many other collectors do this as well. BUT at the end of the day, you've either felt a 44 pro or you have not.
If you post here, regardless if you have a super qlty high end collection of 5 gloves or 200 beaters, you prob know enough about gloves to form an OPINION, and how YOU feel about them.
Anthony says it stacks up with the big guys. 1 on 1, glove to glove taking nothing else into account does it? imo no. It sounds like Dan feels that way and that man has touched more gloves than farmers touch udders. If anyone has seen it all from the bones out... its him.
Anthony then mentioned that taking everything into account ( value/cost/custom/options ) played into his opinion...
well... now we are talking bang for buck and that, to me, is a totally different argument.
There is prob not much out there that rivals 44s ability to let you custom anything you want... which is really cool. If you add the options to the opinion that 44 is equal to the qlty/make of a Rawlings, Nike, or Wilson.... then THAT would make 44 the best glove going!!! Top of the line glove with top of the line qlty!!!
BUT, they arent the biggest, or most preferred... and if they are top in custom options, then it must be they are not on par with the big dogs as far as qlty glove UNLESS they are the best kept secret in the glove game.
The reoccurring theme here is they everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinions.
No one is right, no one is wrong.
Anthony just like his 44 a lot. Some might think hes crazy, some might think hes spot on.
As far as I'm concerned all that matters is Anthony's opinion was positive enough to share. Agree, Disagree, whatever...
There is literally np right answer...

DatDuke

Comparison with A2K, PP, and NIKE DEP. to bolster my point. Nuff said. And no I am not the reviewer.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Other people's impressions. Not just my own words, since I have no clue what I am talking about, you can do your own research. they are everywhere.

This is the closest review to my glove.

I couldnt find any review on Walmart gloves from people who knows something with Baseball or from any Minor League players who use Walmart Gloves. so I can't say they are comparable.

DCT style PRO44, comparison with Rawlings from other people who knows Gloves. do Walmart has DCT style glove I can try?

I'm not sure if you knew, but 44 actually features a couple of these reviews on their web site... so it may not be completely unbiased there.

Also, just FWIW, there is an account on IG that is pretty large and is always pumping up 44 gloves.
We know YOU are not, but hed told someone he was getting paid and free gloves to talk them up.
Gist is he had a falling out, his exbuddy saved and shared the screen shots and the guys cred (IG... i know, i know..) was shot.
I'll bet he sold many44 gloves with his reviews/comparisons/and hype but THAT caused a bit of a revolt against 44 too as the naive youngins had no idea such shenanigans were possible (their lives just got real).
Except for reps, at least people on here are speaking from the heart and truly believe their opinions.
Youtube videos may not be the best way to bolster a point in this instance. Ya dont know their experience or if they have gotten paid. Also, even if they arent getting paid, maybe that 18 yr old has never had a custom before. because its cheaper, the 44 might be their 1st and because of that they are convinced its the bees'knees regardless of qlty and ya get the ol' "this is my glove, its tan, i really like it, it feels good etc etc etc" which is 90% of those reviews

Last edited:

DatDuke

I'm not sure if you knew, but 44 actually features a couple of these reviews on their web site... so it may not be completely unbiased there.

Also, just FWIW, there is an account on IG that is pretty large and is always pumping up 44 gloves.
We know YOU are not, but hed told someone he was getting paid and free gloves to talk them up.
Gist is he had a falling out, his exbuddy saved and shared the screen shots and the guys cred (IG... i know, i know..) was shot.
I'll bet he sold 44 gloves with his reviews/comparisons/and hype but THAT caused a bit of a revolt against 44 too as the naive youngins had no idea such shenanigans were possible (their lives just got real).
Except for reps, at least people on here are speaking from the heart and truly believe their opinions.
Youtube videos may not be the best way to bolster a point in this instance. Ya dont know their experience or if they have gotten paid. Also, even if they arent getting paid, maybe that 18 yr old has never had a custom before. because its cheaper, the 44 might be their 1st and because of that they are convinced its the bees'knees regardless of qlty and ya get the ol' "this is my glove, its tan, i really like it, it feels good etc etc etc" which is 90% of those reviews

Who is the He that you are speaking of? I have seen tons of reviews on You tube about 44PRO. and no I do not freq IG. so I have no clue on whats going on at the DARK side.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Well said MaverickAH, please allow me to add into your reply, Glove made overseas especially Taiwan, the quality can also be all over the place. There is a seller on EBAY only import Taiwanese Gloves. I think his user id is Macotar? You might want to check his store out to see what is available. There are also smaller companies who have factories in Mexico who will apply whatever company logos on their Mass Produced Cookie Cutters patterns. (I think PROMOUND and Rolins are one of those). But 44PRO is different. they do have some PRO Supports, and Collegian Players Endorsement. They have a big range of Patterns. Hell they even have this: AMBIDEXTROUS
And the craftsmanship for my 44PRO "KIP" Custom is very close to the LeatherHead (Also imported) level. To me LeatherHead is above the mass produced HoH and A2000 you find in the Big Box Store.

Haha.. I didnt have to dig far.
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/44-pro-signature-series.1425861/

Anthony, can you just set this straight for me? I respect your opinion either way but i want to be 100% what the argument is here....
are you of the opinion that....

44 = rawlings, wilson, nike, mizuno top of the line gloves?
OR
That taking into account 44's price, custom options, quality for the price etc, that all of those things are a better VALUE than Rawlings, wilson, mizuno, nike offer with their top of the line gloves. (not as good quality, but what you give up in qlty you make up in other aspects listed above)?

Just wanted to be on the same page :)

DatDuke

Anthony, can you just set this straight for me? I respect your opinion either way but i want to be 100% what the argument is here....
are you of the opinion that....

44 = rawlings, wilson, nike, mizuno top of the line gloves?
OR
That taking into account 44's price, custom options, quality for the price etc, that all of those things are a better VALUE than Rawlings, wilson, mizuno, nike offer with their top of the line gloves. (not as good quality, but what you give up in qlty you make up in other aspects listed above)?

Just wanted to be on the same page :)

Latter. No way a 44 PRO can be as good as a New Custom Pro Department or PI Wilson A2Ks. (which I have no access to).
But when value comes into play, you are spending $180 (Cheaper with Discount) on a Customized Kip series, that I think its neck to neck with the Big Box HoH, A2000. that cost $250. (with the quality of leather and craftsmanship). or the Global Elite Series and Nike Diamond Elite series and they are not customs, just a Big Box Mass Produced Ball gloves. But I can't bare myself to compare it to any Walmart offerings.

Again on Value wise, when comparing with USED A2K and PP, I still think a USED 44 Pro, which cost me barely $70 can run with a USED $150-200 HoH and PP and A2k which I previously acquired.

Are we now seeing eye to eye? And thanks for continue to discuss this topic, thats why I love this place, just looking to get other peoples opinion, and sharing mine.

One of the post before said it the best, The Diminishing Return comes into play when making my review, a Top of the Line Rawlings, Wilson, Nike, Mizuno new retail purchase is that much better than a new 44? and you CAN'T find a decent shape TOP of the LINE series major brands which will give me the Leather Quality and Craftsmanship of this PRO44 I just received. (May be I wasnt looking hard enough). But that is all based on my recent acquisitions (which was stated on my OP).

Last edited:

beeblebobble

Starting Player
One thing thats clear to me with these off brand companies who piggy back at other production is its a big F'n lottery. We already deal with that to some degree with the Big 3's top of lines, I've order a2000's from Wilson's website and quickly returned them. But that range from quality to crap seem to get much bigger as you get away from those Big 3. And to me that takes away any value by adding to risk.

I may order from Glovewerks and get a dandy of a glove and then order from LazerPro made in the same facility (I'm making this up for the example) and get a stinker. At that point I'm either screwed or completely dependent on the company to have some decent customer service and back up their product. Personally I'd rather pay a few more dollars and buy from a place that I know has my back if I'm not happy and not some guy who decided he wanted to make a glove company and becomes one more guy just putting his label on the same gloves as the next guy.

Granted this thread just started from a review of a used glove, which to me on this front just says, there are some decent 44's out there if you find one at a price you like, give it a whirl.

And yeah I found the way they were pushing 44 gloves on IG just laughable, he tried doing a hard sell on me and I could only politely tell him no thank you.

DatDuke

One thing thats clear to me with these off brand companies who piggy back at other production is its a big F'n lottery. We already deal with that to some degree with the Big 3's top of lines, I've order a2000's from Wilson's website and quickly returned them. But that range from quality to crap seem to get much bigger as you get away from those Big 3. And to me that takes away any value by adding to risk.

I may order from Glovewerks and get a dandy of a glove and then order from LazerPro made in the same facility (I'm making this up for the example) and get a stinker. At that point I'm either screwed or completely dependent on the company to have some decent customer service and back up their product. Personally I'd rather pay a few more dollars and buy from a place that I know has my back if I'm not happy and not some guy who decided he wanted to make a glove company and becomes one more guy just putting his label on the same gloves as the next guy.

Granted this thread just started from a review of a used glove, which to me on this front just says, there are some decent 44's out there if you find one at a price you like, give it a whirl.

And yeah I found the way they were pushing 44 gloves on IG just laughable, he tried doing a hard sell on me and I could only politely tell him no thank you.

Thanks for your input to these type of gloves. Its very informational and your opinion counts so much when you give us your background and past history. Thanks for taking the time to type this. I believe I got lucky, but so far I have not spent a tons of money for them by buying them used. My son will order a brand new one since he loves this particular purchase. I will let you guys know when we receive the new glove. We are waiting on the Holiday discount to save a few bucks.

Jchap

Thanks for your input to these type of gloves. Its very informational and your opinion counts so much when you give us your background and past history. Thanks for taking the time to type this. I believe I got lucky, but so far I have not spent a tons of money for them by buying them used. My son will order a brand new one since he loves this particular purchase. I will let you guys know when we receive the new glove. We are waiting on the Holiday discount to save a few bucks.
They just had a sale this weekend.

MaverickAH

Beeblebobble:

What you say regarding quality is true to a point. You really have to understand what goes on though.........

• Company A & Company B both source their gloves from the same OEM
  • Both companies charge $160 for the finished product
  • Company A limits their production cost to $60/glove
  • Company B limits their production cost to $80/glove
This is an example of what goes on. Most OEM's will give the client enough options to meet whatever cost target the client has. Different grades of leather. Different internals. Different levels of personnel & so on....... What the client then charges on the other end is their prerogative. Another big factor is volume. The bigger the volume, the lower the production cost per glove. This is where the big companies really have an edge.

DatDuke

They just had a sale this weekend.
Really? I guess he will continue to use this glove for a while. Please let me know when they have another sale for the holiday. Or I can just pick up a Walmart glove, write his name with a sharpie and call it a day if they are that similar. Thanks.

Jchap

Really? I guess he will continue to use this glove for a while. Please let me know when they have another sale for the holiday. Or I can just pick up a Walmart glove, write his name with a sharpie and call it a day if they are that similar. Thanks.
I don't understand. You are waiting for a sale, but don't know how to check their site or social media to see when they have a sale, you want me to tell you? And Walmart glove? If this is sarcasm, then just let me know, I am not picking up on it.

DatDuke

I don't understand. You are waiting for a sale, but don't know how to check their site or social media to see when they have a sale, you want me to tell you? And Walmart glove? If this is sarcasm, then just let me know, I am not picking up on it.
Obviously I missed out on the last sale, I don't usually purchase new gloves and therefore I didnt pay attention to their website and social media page (I don't even have a IG account), remember, I just got this glove, when my kid asked me to get one order for Xmas, I started to visit their web page and didnt find any sale. So, I might not catch the next sale if there is even one planned. If its not too much trouble to help a member out, a quick heads up via PM is greatly appreciated. As with the Walmart gloves see reply #42 above.

Jchap

Obviously I missed out on the last sale, I don't usually purchase new gloves and therefore I didnt pay attention to their website and social media page (I don't even have a IG account), remember, I just got this glove, when my kid asked me to get one order for Xmas, I started to visit their web page and didnt find any sale. So, I might not catch the next sale if there is even one planned. If its not too much trouble to help a member out, a quick heads up via PM is greatly appreciated. As with the Walmart gloves see reply #42 above.
Got it, will do.

Nik750

Starting Player
I can proudly say that I was the exposer, and I also have avoided buying a 44Pro mainly because of this reason. IMO i'd rather pay the bigger bucks to buy a Rawlings or Wilson custom, especially if I'm going through chad :)